Find
Notify
Tools

Qeustion on LE ammunition
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted
Since I'm pretty new to owning handguns, I have an honest question that stems from naivete' on my part. I've got a Colt 1991A1 in 45 ACP. My son, who works at a shooting range, brought me home some ammunition about a month or so ago, and one of the boxes was Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement ammo. I believe (without going to look) that they're 230 grain hollow points.

My question is, why is Law Enforcement ammunition generally restricted as to sale to the general public? My son told me they can sell it to the public, but as a matter of policy will only sell it to law enforcement and military personnell.

I'm just curious about why this is/

Posts: 3873 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anywhere other than California, it is purely marketing hype, which is why your son's range can and does sell it to the public, but it is THAT particular ranges policy not to. The only difference between the "LE" ranger and the other is packaging. Once upon a time, the LE stuff had the Lubalox coating on it. I don't believe it does any more.

Go to Gunbroker, search for LE Ranger and buy all you want. I use the 155 grain 40S&W as my personal protection load, as does the local police department.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS
Most LE/SD ammo is good but your shooting about the best. Very reliable and a proven fight stopper.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Ammunition To Go as well.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some LE ammo has bonded bullets instead of non-bonded.9mm Win LE is +P also. The Ranger is actualy an upgraded version of the old Black Talon !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our Presidential administration, and liberals in general, are proof that a higher educations do not equal greater intelligence. They are proof that these can be mutually exclusive concepts.

Bone up on "syllogism" --