New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Dakota goes consitutional carry
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
PIERRE — South Dakotans will be able to carry concealed handguns without a permit beginning July 1.

Less than a month into office, Gov. Kristi Noem fulfilled one of her campaign promises on Thursday by signing the bill repealing the requirement into law. She said she was "proud" that it was the first bill she signed as governor. Republican legislators who championed the bills stood in a crowd behind her as she signed the bill at a desk in the Capitol Rotunda, applauding after her signature turned it into law.

"It's special for me to be signing a bill into law that protects our Second Amendment rights," Noem said afterward.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a negative to states going constitutional carry. Citizens of that state lose reciprocal agreement with other states that require you to be licensed. So they are limited to carrying in that state or other constitutional carry states only. Bummer. Texas added that 18 year old active duty military could get their license. Minnesota does not have that clause so a Texas license no longer valid in Minnesota.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have all kept their permit system for those that want them.

Well if you did a little research you well find out way MN does not honor other states permits.

It has nothing to do with constitutional carry.

They passed a law that was suppose to loosen up the number of states allow.

But the anti gun AG turned it on it's head declaring. I can stop all agreements with the other states.

Totally encoring the legislative intent of the law.

Then the MN went hard core domorat and nothing was done about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P dog shooter--I did do my research. Perhaps you need to sharpen your reading skills. Mn no longer recognizes Tx permits, not because of any Mn law changes, but because Tx changed their law. Tx allows 18 year old active duty military to get a permit. Mn does not give permits to ANYONE under 21. Thus the reciprocal agreement was voided. Actually I find it odd that MN doesn't allow the younger military to get a permit. I also find it odd that Tx stipulated age 18 as a 17 year old can enter the military (with parental consent). So a 17 year old can carry on base if their duty requires it---law enforcement for example.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The change in MN allowed the AG office to use most any thing to disallow another states permits.

So it comes down to the change in MN law that allowed the gun anti-very gun AG to make the move to disallow other states permits.

They also do not recognize a lot of other states permits that they did.

So if it was TX law why did they do away with Reciprocity from other states like Utah that they long recognized.

So what it comes down to is it was just an excuse for a very anti-gun AG to do away with most of the Reciprocity agreements.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P dog shooter, how recent was the Mn change you refer to? It was several years ago that a woman I know that now lives in MN and had a Texas permit that became invalid when Texas allowed 18 year old military to get a permit as Mn had no provisions for under 21.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a three links that well help you under stand what went on in MN.

Read them and one well kind of get the idea of the political wrangling that went on.

They date from 2015 to 2016 law change went into effect Aug. 1st 2016.

The language change went from shall be similar to not similar.

The then AG then proceeded to cancel reciprocity with a lot of states by saying they are not similar.

When if you read the legislative intent it was to allow reciprocity with sates that were not similar.

It is up to MN to decide what states they want.

That can be done by adding the list MN has decided to take a hard line on reciprocity.

https://forum.opencarry.org/fo...d-by-Governor-Dayton

https://forum.opencarry.org/in...-permit-help.132763/

https://forum.opencarry.org/fo...dated-their-web-site

One of Us
posted Hide Post
God, I wish I still lived in the free state of SD. Unfortionately I had to choose between my freedom and my kid, so now I'm stuck in the California of the midwest (Minnesota). Glad to see SD is still doing things mostly right.

All states should be constitutional carry. You should never have to get permission and pay fees and fines just to exercise a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting how the influx of immigrants seem to tighten up gun laws.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote