New
Find
Notify
Tools

.380 practice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been picking up range brass (pistol) for about two years now. The break down is about 80% 9mm, 10% .40 S&W, and 10% .45ACP. I have found a grand total of about 6 pieces of .380 brass.

Does this mean that people with .380s seldom practice, or is there some other explanation?

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I am seeing a lot more 40's as a percentage than you are. Primarily the Winchester white box. I agree on the 380 though. I have one but rarely take it to the range!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Also, both .380 ammo and brass have been harder to find. I have a .380 and practice with it regularly along with my 2 40's, my 38, and my 357. Just from contact with folks who own .380's, I would have to say they don't practice with them as much. They should practice more with them........

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
380 ammo was almost none existent for about 2 years. My bet would be people weren't shooting it even if they had it.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sadly i believe that most of the smaller rounds people buy for are pocket pistols that they may carry once in awhile but rarely if ever shoot them. not good thinking there, buy something to defend you life with and then don't pratice with it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own a 380 but have looked at getting one. the main reason I haven't is I have not found a single place int he last 6 months that has both an LCP and ammo in stock. I would even substitute a P3AT for the LCP and have not found anything. in addition, the only 380 ammo I have seen is in FMJ only. So the question that is in my mind is, if I only have 20 rds, assuming I can find that, should I practice or carry it?

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Walther PK380 looks very interesting to me!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with a Kahr P380 I recently purchased. It's compact, light, has trijicon night sights, comfortable to shoot, and is very accurate.

"The appearance of the law most be upheld--especially while it's being broken." Boss Tweed

Posts: 197 | Location: The Great Prairie | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

After function testing there's not much reason to burn up expensive hard to purchase 380 ammo.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob in TX. If you are going to rely on a smaller caliber like the 380 to defend your life, you had better be able to call your shot(s) -- imho, even more so than with a larger caliber handgun. Fortunately, there seems to be a bit more 380 ammo around now, but not like there was a few years ago.

"The appearance of the law most be upheld--especially while it's being broken." Boss Tweed

Posts: 197 | Location: The Great Prairie | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
learn to reload and cast and make your own, it doesn't take much powder for a decent .380 round like i use 2.7 grains with a 125 gr cast round nose im my makarov and I love that gun..... I find alot of .380 mbrass all over i scrounge brass wherever i go..... so get to it and save yourself some grief, reload.....

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Illinois, United States of America  | Registered: 15 June 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
excuse me that was 2.7 grains of unique...

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Illinois, United States of America  | Registered: 15 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
If you carry a .380--
you might want to consider these:

http://www.buffalobore.com/ind...product_detail&p=127

and these:

http://www.buffalobore.com/ind...product_detail&p=129

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I ran into a deal on an older ppk/s in 380 last year and have reloaded about 1000 rounds for it, and have been shooting it now and then. I like it and it shoots great, only loosing brass is kinda a thing, seems how it is hard to come by these days so I practice with my 45 acp more often. I wish brass was easier to come by, because it is cheaper to load for, and knocks bowling pins off the table just as good as my 45.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote