Find
Notify
Tools

How much times have changed!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Was re-reading some of my older literature last night...specifically a bound volume of the first 12 months of Guns magazine. (January through December issues, 1955)

In the March, 1955 issue, there was a short bit on Brinks...you know, the company which at first was big in the armoured cars business, and which now makes a lot of loot providing home-security systems.

Back in 1955, as some of you may remember, many places still paid their staff's wages in cash rather than checks, and there was no such thing as direct deposit or electronic funds transfer.

You could walk into any bank with "silver certificate" U.S. paper dollars, and for every paper dollar you could get a silver dollar if you wanted. Almost nobody except kids ever did that, because the silver dollars were so unhandy to carry around if yu had very many....

Anyway, one result was that in those days, the Brinks armoured cars carried LOTS of cash almost everywhere they went.

The Guns magazine article showed pictures of the Brinks armoury, a couple of its in-house gunsmiths, and some of the 1,500 or so guns Brinks issued to its employees. They included everything up to full-auto BARs and Tommy Guns.

Even more interesting...in 1955 Brinks paid every employee who killed a robber a $1,000 cash bonus for each robber slain. Employees who wounded a robber got a $500 cash bonus.

The article remarked on how few robbers were ever just wounded in encounters with Brinks employees. Obviously, no one felt that was a bad outcome.

On the next page, it was also pointed out that the uniformed drivers and guards weren't the only security the shipments had. At every stop, Brinks also tried to make sure there was at least one plainclothes agent somewhere in the immediate area. While the truck employees were wheeling the money in or out of the premises, the plainclothes agents were carefully watching the whole scene. Usually they were situationally aware enough that they killed any robbers WHILE the bad guys were still in the process of getting their guns out to where the robberies could begin.

One problem was mentioned with the plainclothes provision. The uniformed employees were starting to openly resent the undercover ones.

The plainclothes guys were getting the lions' share of the $1,000 bonuses!!

And folks wonder why we have so many no-goodniks in jail at taxpayer expense these days...and why crime seems rampant?

In those days, it was realized there WAS a way to keep crime down. It was to teach people that major crime was really not a safe occupation. And to abolutely and literally reduce the number of felons.

Can you imagine reading an article like that in today's America?

It's a different world today, folks.

I liked the old one better.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
One of my wife's cousins worked for one of the major armored car companies for a few years running the armored trucks. They were actually not supposed to use force to keep from being robbed unless lives were at stake. Their philosophy seemed to be let the dough go for now, and let the cops and insurance take care of it later.

I like the bounty idea a lot better myself.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't know what you're talking about.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
They are trained in situational awareness and are armed as a DETERRENT. They are instructed to stop robberies before they begin, and are NOT allowed to fire their weapons unless fired upon or there is a threat of imminent loss of life. While they are screened carefully, the training they receive is minimal, and while some of them may fancy themselves hired guns for the stagecoach, I doubt their level of ability would be very effective against seasoned and well prepared criminals, hence the rules. They are NOT ALLOWED to USE their weapons solely to protect the cash. At least the company that my wife's cousin worked for, which is one of the major ones, had these rules.
Unless you personally know someone who does this for a living, or are one yourself please do not tell me what I do and don't know. While you fancy yourself a really intelligent guy, you are in no position to judge or correct someone like me. Not a single person here respects you or your opinion, we all know that "you" have been banned from this site multiple times under various aliases (or is it alii? lol), and you are at best a troll and minor irritation, and certainly not a contributor of note. I'll defy you to PROVE me wrong. Until you do STFU middlefinger

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad to say that daniel77 is currently correct.

This transition, from killing outright, the "bad guy", started, at least in the area I worked in, in the mid 1980's...

One example, Shotgun Stakeouts".

Back in the day, the Police would be "hidden" in 7/11 and other convience stores/grocery stores, etc...

When the robber[s] came in and showed a gun, they were KILLED without ANY WARNING.

As time went on, this technique became politically incorrect... And we were ordered to stop doing it.

We became a "kinder gentler society"...

Even though State Law may allow Deadly Force, in certain circumstances, many Police Depts prohibit their officers from using it...

So in those cities, citizens can shoot the bad guy in MANY more situations, than the Police Dept. will allow its officers to...

Times have changed... And not for the better...

IMHO of course...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0X0:

Where are you from?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:

You'd probably get more interesting debate going, if we could all tell at whom such remarks are directed. I assume they ARE posted for the purposes of debate, rather than to just be insulting....

If it was me, I think you should note I was relating the content of a magazine article, not saying that I could vouch for its accuracy. What I felt remarkable was that such comments were freely and openly made in articles then, and held up to be things worth admiring, whereas today all the PC-driven folk would cruicify them for such remarks.

As to which era I prefer, that is 100% accurate. I much prefer the 1950s to today. I believe robbers SHOULD be killed during their robberies, both to protect the innocent then, and in the future.

Having been on some shotgun stakeouts, I know they were effective, and resulted in zero recidivism too. From your other posts recently in this forum, I suspect you agree with me, so I am not saying that to confront you.

So, best wishes to you, and have a good day. It is Spring here all of a sudden and a beautiful day to boot. Not a cloud in the sky and 59.0 F at the moment....not too hot or too cold, just gorgeous.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Liberal politicians and judges made a big difference .NYPD stakeout squad was very effective but became politically incorrect as most of the victims were of the darker persuasion. BTW there police always announced themselves .As Jim Cirillo told me they would loudly announce themselves but the instinct when you hear a shout is to turn to it. If the perp did, with gun in hand he would die !
When I applied for my carry permit in1970 the county Permit Office had just asked for 2000 more forms .The NYSP asked why and was told we have that many people wanting permits !!
We were then reaping the crop of liberalism.People who never thought of using a gun for defense did so then .That was also the start of training methods and courses to help the GGs .

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

One example, Shotgun Stakeouts".

Back in the day, the Police would be "hidden" in 7/11 and other convience stores/grocery stores, etc...

When the robber[s] came in and showed a gun, they were KILLED without ANY WARNING.

Holy cow. What a flashback. A 7-11 in Dallas was a kid's wonderland back in the 70's and early 80's.
I had forgotten about the one way glass, the posters of the cop holding a shotgun, the way the clerk acted when the room was actually occupied by the shotgun squad. I bet they were bored to tears in my neighborhood. That 7-11 was never knocked over when I lived there.

I knew all the cops that had the beat around my 7-11 and school: young family joes for the most part, lots of Nam vets. They were always handing out Dallas Cowboys trading cards too. I got my first Roger Staubach card from a beat cop outside a 7-11!
Nowadays they have to put a title on it like "community policing". But back then, we took it for granted that cops were our best friends and the crook's worst enemies.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

Times have changed... And not for the better...

Got that right.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Plato was talking about this?

What's this medium you're posting on, and was it available even 15 yrs ago?

We need to do a sonogram of your whatever. You don't have that option back then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...and back then Dallas PD hired only the cream of the crop.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know Plato was talking about this?

What's this medium you're posting on, and was it available even 15 yrs ago?

We need to do a sonogram of your whatever. You don't have that option back then.

Don't confuse moral law with moore's law.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ChetNC, what year and what 7/11 did you hang out in Dallas?

RVL III, back in the day you are correct....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck is correct, Shotgun Stakeouts were very effective... VERY.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember handguns sold out of the Sears Roebuck catalog. Send them the order. They'd mail it to you. Guns sold out of the back of True Magazine.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember handguns sold out of the Sears Roebuck catalog. Send them the order. They'd mail it to you. Guns sold out of the back of True Magazine.

There's a problem with this?

Drove down to Hunters Haven in Alexandria,Va., the retail outlet for Interarmco and bought a brand new Iranian cavalry Mauser for $50.00 at the ripe old age of 16 during that same era.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote