Find
Notify
Tools

Laser Grips
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted
I don't have any attached to my guns, but I thought about putting one on my S&W 642. If the laser is off, how do you adjust it on a fixed sight gun. Anyone had this problem?

Also, I've heard a green laser is better than red?

Question:
Which laser is better?

Choices:
Green
Red

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know. Never used them.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crimson Trace grips are worth taking a look at.

They work great on fast moving targets.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of crimson trace grips on my 686 smith and they are v.good.

Posts: 122 | Location: uk | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deer308:
I have a set of crimson trace grips on my 686 smith and they are v.good.

Any trouble ajusting the laser? Does it ever have to be resighted from time to time? If it's as good as I hear, I may have more than one gun fitted with them. But I'm gonna need a lot more input before I spend that kinda money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
griz78

I have them on a couple of my handguns.
I have been using them for about 2 to 2.5 years.

They are a quality product.
I have not had to change the batteries or resight them in.
I can see the "red dot" on the target even in the daytime at what would be considered normal gunfight distances.

At night the laser will go at least 600 yards.

I have used mine at the range on moving targets, and could not believe how easy it made hitting them.

One night while on a pig hunt, I was asked to shoot 4 problem raccoons that were messing up a elevated cow cube despenser.

It made hitting them easy.

Two of them were in a full run, I tracked the laser from behind them until the red dot made contact and I pulled the trigger.

Both were killed with only one shot each.

I do not think I would have hit them without the Crimson Laser grips.

That night made a believer out of me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the only time i have had to adjust was when i changed the brand of ammo.
let us know how you get on with them if you buy any.

regards
chris

Posts: 122 | Location: uk | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
My opinion- If you are very proficient with a self defense handgun, lasers *might* give you an edge when things get sideways but it takes a while to get used to them.

However, I do not recommend them for new shooters or casual shooters. Again, in my experience: people become so fascinated and fixated on the laser POI that their shooting position goes to pot.
1. They keep the weapon very close to the body (so they can see over it).
2. They stand more erect than they otherwise would in a self defense scenario.
3. It slows down their shot as they become focused on the movement of the laser and attempt to make minor corrections.
4. Most importantly, it tends to greatly exaggerate the effects of tunnel vision. Most novice shooters will not take their eyes off the laser at all.

Generally, a laser is adjusted so that it rests on the top of the front site post. However, without practice, it tends to get used in place of sights, not in conjunction with them.

I do not use lasers on any of my guns.

Chet

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old school, here. Sorry.

Lasers and such are great accessories to your PD gun. If you want them, go ahead on, but they can and will degrade the fundamentals of acquiring sights, sight alignment and sight picture. They will also contribute to "walking your shots" as you follow a moving target, much like spraying your son with the garden hose as he runs by you in the yard. Instead of putting rounds on target, you'll put rounds in front of the target.

Weak shooters will come to rely on their lasers and forget about the real sights. When the shit hits the fan and the laser system fails, they'll find themselves looking down and fumbling with shit while the bad guy walks up and puts one between their eyes.

Lasers have their place. If you use 'em, become skilled with them. But become a skilled shooter using iron sights first. And then go to the lasers. Practice with your irons more than the lasers.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post Script:
Chet's observations above are right on. Good advice.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will agree when teaching a new shooter I would stick to the sights on the weapon.

However as a NRA Master Card holder in a couple of pistol competitions, and a survivor of a few shootings, I can say, that ON THE DAY, the Crimson Trace Laser Grips WILL BE MONEY WELL SPENT.

For the average concealed lessor trained person, even more so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TWL, made some very good points.

I have Crimson Trace grips on my primary carry pistol (that also has tritium sights).

They are nice hand-filling grips (some might even say a bit "bulky") made of non-slip rubber.

I leave mine in the "off" position...... unless the tactical situation calls for them.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Intimidation factor -- Nothing like a red dot on his chest to get the bad guy to rethink his agenda.

You can find the dot with the sights. It can turn your handgun into more of a shotgun style "point/shoot" firearm.

The downside is that it gives away your position.

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:

Lasers have their place. If you use 'em, become skilled with them. But become a skilled shooter using iron sights first. And then go to the lasers. Practice with your irons more than the lasers.

I agree. Lasers shouldn't replace iron sights. I guess I'm just really looking for something else to challenge myself with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lasers are good tool for dry firing as you can see the dot move to the side when your trigger pull is not smooth. This has been very useful for my training and in teaching new shooters how to pull/squeeze/press the trigger without moving the muzzle. They are also useful when shooting from unconventional positions i.e. while trying to get up after being attacked from behind, etc. And, they make a S&W Chief Special easier to shoot accurately since I can't seem to find the front sight on a snub nose through my bi-focals... Whatever helps you prevail!

The red laser seems easier to find than the green and Crimson Trace has a good customer service department.

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
(In the spirit of a good discussion an without an intent to offend anyoneSmiler

If you absolutely must invest in an on board accessory, get a rail mounted or handheld light and the ammo to learn to use it correctly. A laser cannot IDENTIFY a target at night, it can only designate it. Target ID is a primary function that must be fulfilled before you can engage anyway.
2. Lasers as deterrents: Every time I have used a handgun socially, the suspect's eyes have been solidly focused on my weapon, not on himself. A drawn weapon is the single greatest deterrent to attack ever. In my experience, nothing trumps it.
It amazes me that guys will spend hundreds of dollars on lasers and other widgets but will not shoot regularly (conversely, I rarely see regular shooters using lasers). I get kinda exasperated with someone who asks me to help them learn to shoot a 1200 dollar pistol only to have it ride a holster for the next year. What's the point? Folks will also spend massive amounts of time making minor changes to their handgun/holster/ammo but will not commit to putting a hundred rounds of ammo downrange a month in combat drills. Heck, reloading drills can be done for free in your bedroom. Everyone wants to be able to engage in the dark but 90% of the permit holders I know have never practiced any reloading in the dark. Some don't even carry a reload.

Probably the single greatest thing a concealed carry permit holder can do for himself and his family is to enroll in a solid class (not a certification class) that uses force on force/Simunitions. Once you start actually putting rounds downrange on a human target while sweating your backside off, you will grow your skill level by leaps and bounds. As it is, you just don't know what you don't know with just square range training.

Just my perspective. Again, my intent was not to belittle anyone or their point of view.

ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice, Chet. Regularly shooting your carry weapon is one of the best ways to ensure that you will hit what you're shooting at when you need to the most. Handloading takes a lot of the pain out of regular practice.

And a good urban survival school, shooting under pressure from barricades, prone position, while running, and at moving targets will enhance your survival skills considerably.

I took an urban survival course in El Salvador, where the murder rate is the highest on record, from instructors who have shot several people in difficult circumstances. They know what works. I'm going down next week and run it a couple of times again.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I put a Crimson Trace on my Glock 27. Great sight.

I know how to shoot irons, so if it fails, no worries. It is a valid point to be proficient with irons though.

No regrets with the Crimson Trace Laser grips.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've generally found that lasers (red) are useful mostly when its nearly dark. in the sunlight they can't be seen. the green laser is a daylight laser, but they also have 4-5 times more power (i.e. 5 MW compared to 20-25 mw) green are much more useful, but are still a bit on the pricey side compared to red, and not available in as many configurations as red. in shooting a laser i find that i much still hold the gun as if i were using iron sights, trying to shoot from the hip so to speak using the laseer just wasn't working to well

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just did a little test.

I walked out on my deck and observed the following.

The laser was easily seen:
On a grey Sat. Dish at 18 yards,
On a tree trunk at 20 yards,
And on the side of my white house at 25 yards.

All distances "lazered".

This is on a very bright day.

At conversational distances it is very easily and quickly picked up.

They are worth the money IMHO.

They are especially effective if the shooter is moving, or the target is moving, and more so if BOTH are moving.

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
I was tempted today to buy a pair of CT grips for 92FS. They are the plastic grips that are not made anymore. They are new in box for $150.00 plus tax.

I think I'll wait and get the new ones that have the wrap around grip with finger grooves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like them in the dark if I'm using anything other than a 1911, which just points at any reasonable range anyway.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're not a sighting device, they're a "pointing device" at ranges where it's not much going to matter. And yeah, they can be aligned.