New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26- thoughts.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for my first pistol. Have been looking around for a while. A few important guidelines for me:

-I'm a college student, only want to pay in the $500 range.

-For the same reason as above, I want to be able to shoot cheap, as I plan on practicing a lot. So I want to go with a 9mm.

-Must be small enough for concealed carry but big enough to shoot comfortably for a day at the range. I am 6'4" and have big hands, for what it is worth.

With this in mind, what do you all think of the G26? Have found one (new) for $480 shipped.

If I did get it, any suggestions on an IWB holster?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
If you can shoot one before you buy, you'll know right away if you want it or not. They are very reliable. But try this. Close your eyes and bring the gun up like you gonna shoot. Open your eyes and see if you are looking down the sights. This is the ONLY problem I have with Glocks. When I hold it up in front of me, the front sight is so high I would probably miss a center mass shot from not too far away.

Doesn't happen to me with Colts.

If this happens to you, you gonna need a lot of practice before natural aim comes easy to you.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Glocks are good guns.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with Glocks. I don't like the grip angle. It is similar to the Luger.

Pointibility is very important when purchasing a handgun. In a confrontation, you may have to point-shoot. You might not have time to align the sights.

Try to find a range that rents handguns.

The Sig Pro line is lower priced than the standard metal framed guns, but Sig just won a contract for 47,000 of them for DOD to equip the Colombian police. A friend of mine ordered one over six months ago and still hasn't received it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Pro

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
glock 26 is a great gun, the mag ext. for little finger really helps, you need to learn correct finger positioning, once you get it figured out seems to point shoot really well, i draw and shoot from hip at clay pidgeon size objects placed about chest hi and 30 to 40 feet away on range backstop and have a real hi percentage of hits
check out lone wolf for glock products ,accc. and advice

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
StormsGSP

My favorite semi auto is a 1911 in 45 ACP.

However, for several years I had to carry a Glock 17, in 9mm.

I carried 2 of them at ALL times. I had over 60,000 [Sixty thousand] rounds through each of them before Glock replaced them.

I then wore about a barrel in one of the replacement guns before I retired.

So, IF you must have a 9mm get a Glock 17.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the little glocks too short and fat for me. I perfer the Khars for fit and feel.

Glock really needs to come out with a single stack slim line frame.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
Looking for my first pistol. Have been looking around for a while. A few important guidelines for me:

-I'm a college student, only want to pay in the $500 range.

-For the same reason as above, I want to be able to shoot cheap, as I plan on practicing a lot. So I want to go with a 9mm.

-Must be small enough for concealed carry but big enough to shoot comfortably for a day at the range. I am 6'4" and have big hands, for what it is worth.

With this in mind, what do you all think of the G26? Have found one (new) for $480 shipped.

Give Scheels (406-453-7666) in Great Falls, MT a call and ask for Cody. He has a like new G26 with Glock night sights for $479.00. Possibly no shipping or tax also. Gun looks like it has never been fired. You will want night sights!

After you have put several hundred rounds through this gun, It will point where you aim.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glock Sux --

If you have big hands, you'll find the G26 is short on grip, top heavy, front heavy, blocky/fat and hard to point.

They ARE reliable, and rugged.

They don't like reloads -- and we can start a whole 'nother thread about Glocks and reloads. Reloads in Glocks tend to blow the gun apart. There's a term for it and you can Google it:

"Glock kB" -- as in kaBOOM . . .

Trigger on the Glock absolutely sux. It's plastic, spongy, creepy.

Some people like them. Not me.

"Cheap" and "shoot a lot" are not going to mix, unless you purchase a 22 rimfire.

But if you want cheap ammo, get a 38/.357 mag and learn to reload. Which means you're going to shoot a revolver, not a semi-auto.

I like a Kahr MK9, but they're not cheap. I usually end up carrying a Smith Mod. 60, because it fits.

In the field we run 45 ACP or 44 Mag. depending how far "afield" we are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a "few" reloads through my Glock 17's, only about 30 thousand or so ALL with lead bullets.

Not one problem.

In 9mm the 17 has the best track record of all the Glocks.I am not near as big a guy as you Storms and I carried one "off duty" 100% of the time for several years...

I carried two of them 100% of the time when "on duty".

I shot my Glocks a BUNCH, no problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glock kB shooting reloads is about "unsupported chambers" overworked reloaded brass and metal failure in the brass.

Google it -- or good luck not losing your fingers or that stunning face of yours.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a bunch of custom and factory 1911s by many manufacturers. I like a good trigger but have ZERO problem switching to glock triggers. It's different but I kind of think of it as a double action revolver, I "pull through" smoothly and the gun goes boom and the shot goes where I wanted it to go. I like Glocks, I usually carry one or more as my personal defense guns, assuming I'm using a pistol as one.

I'm trying to buy a couple or 3 9mms now for my wife and daughter. No safety to worry about, pull the trigger and they shoot.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have shot thousands of reloads thru glocks of 9mm and 40 cal. Just don't hot rod them and keep the barrels free of lead build up. One will not have any trouble.

I find the glock triggers to be one of the best duty triggers out there so have hundreds of police depts around the country. There is a reason glock is the most popular police pistol in the the country. It works its simple.

I just find the small glocks don't fit my hands very well. But my 23 goes just about every where with me.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Put me in the camp that says the grip angle is wrong and the grip is too short. I just can't grip a Glock comfortably. I shoot a 1911 in an autoloader.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I don't like Glock pistols to the point of being a Glockophobe. I've seen the early plastic rear sights fall out of holstered pistols when officers bumped into a wall or furniture, then two pistols with broken rear frame rails at a school and finally one kB! with commercially remanufactured ammo.
The reason Glock pistols are so well represented in LEO holsters is price. They have aggressively marketed them to US law enforcement agencies.
BUT! Glock pistols were designed by a company that isn't mired in the past. They have changed the grip angle on newer pistols, offered different trigger weights and added light rails as the market grew. And they're still hungry for new sales, I've got one each Model 21 and 30 sitting in my office as T&E guns.
A couple years ago I stooped so low as to shoot a new officer's G-27 when he complained about the accuracy. Full magazine of .40 thru the head of a TQ-21 at 25 yards later we both were more impressed with the "Pocket Glock". Big Grin

BTW 1911's rule! Cool

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since Glock is the subject, I like the G36, both in caliber and ergonomics, compared to other clunkier models.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the topic of "pointability" was brought up, I went and tried it with my Glock 23 .40 which has an in frame laser installed, as well as night sights. I bought it that way, am not all that impressed with a laser on pistols but it does make for fun shooting from time to time. At any rate, I can point the Glock at least as well as I can point a 1911 with Crimson Trace grips, usually being within a few inches or so on initial "point" on items within 50 feet or less.

I think "pointability" is somewhat overrated, we are almost all trained to use our sights at any range beyond a couple of arms lengths. I don't think I'm a particularly gifted as a pistol shooter but I've always been able to hit fairly small items by pointing at reasonable distances, probably because of all those tens of thousands of .22s I shot thru a Colt Frontier Scout when I was a kid, a lot of them from "the hip" as we used to call it. In any event, overrated or not, the Glock seems to point as well as a 1911 for me.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I too have shot thousands of reloads thru glocks of 9mm and 40 cal. Just don't hot rod them and keep the barrels free of lead build up. One will not have any trouble.

I find the glock triggers to be one of the best duty triggers out there so have hundreds of police depts around the country. There is a reason glock is the most popular police pistol in the the country. It works its simple.

I just find the small glocks don't fit my hands very well. But my 23 goes just about every where with me.

You're talking out of your ass.

It's not about lead in the bore, it's about an unsupported chamber. You can look it up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok I guess Iam talking out of my Ass.

Too much lead in the bore can lead to raises in pressures. Causeing them to blow the cases in the area that isn't surported.

Keep the pressure reasonable and they don't blow the cases out. Hot rod them or do something else like letting your barrel get to much lead in it to raise the pressures to unexcepable level one runs the risk of blowing a case.

With hand loading jacketed bullets for glocks not taper crimping them properly allowing them to be pushed back into the case to far also well allow pressures to raise above level for safety.

When reloading for glock one learns to work with the unsurported barrel by not useing high end loads and cases that haven't been fired alot.

Loading for glocks is not differant then reloading any other fire arm with limits caused by its design. I load for 93 and 95 mausers, 30-40 Krags ect just to name a few. One just doesn't load them to the upper end.

I don't see where I differ with you reloading is all about know what your fire arm is capable of handing and staying with there bounds.

Have glocks blown up yes have other arms blown up yes. So what is your point. Know your gun your loads and your limits. If you can't do that I guess one shouldn't reload or your going to have trouble.

So if you don't like the unsurpported barrel buy one of the aftermarket fully surpported ones.

So I guess I just don't know where your coming from expect a strong dislike for glocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read up on the Glock kB -- Dean Speir.

It's about unsupported chambers and brass metal fatigue from resizing.

Take a barrel out of a Glock, drop a round in the chamber and rattle it -- see how it fits. Take a look at the feed ramp in relation to the web on the case.

It's not about lead in the bore. It's not about polygonal rifling. It's not about "hot loads."

It's about unsupported chambers and metal fatigue in reloaded ammo.

Glock voids their warranty ("their" not "there") for shooting reloads. Last time I looked this clause was printed in red.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I read a owners mannaul in the last 20 years that doesn't void the warranty with reloads from any of the gun companys.

Yes we all know that they have some of the case is unsurported. That has been know for many years your really not telling us anything new.

As I stated before if you have a glock and don't like the part of having a unsurported case buy a after market barrel that fully surports it.

No one is making you own buy or reload for glocks if you don't like them so be. Personaly I like mine I reload for mine and I find them to perform very well

AND WE KNOW THAT THEY HAVE SOME OF THE CASE UNSURPORTED.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
stormgsp
just get the glock
if you dont like it sell it
im suprised some clown hasnt reccomended the virginia dragoon

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are 6'4" and have big hands, I think the 26 might be a little small for you. I would suggest the 19 instead. You can now buy Glock 19 mags for about $17 each for the aftermarket ones.

If you read the articles about the Kb's, you will find they are all by one idiot named Speir who has a bug up his ass for the Glocks, and they are all about 10 years old. So people just hang on to the old shit forever. The third gen Glocks have had the chambers changed years ago. There are more slide breakages on Beretta 92s than there have ever been failures in Glocks, but nobody has the bug up their ass about that. Oh, and by the way, I did as some suggest and I took the barrel out and dropped a round in....it fit BETTER than my CZ or my Sig, again...OLD SHIT.

Buy the Glock and be happy with it. If you don't like the trigger pull, they have kits for that too.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladd is correct.

Instead of GLOCKABOOM the phrase should be RELOADKABOOM.

Lead in the barrel most certainly increases pressure.

A combination of the two increases the probability of a major failure.

As for unsupported barrels:

http://www.christiangunowner.com/glockreviews.html

BARSTOW LEFT GLOCK RIGHT

BARSTOW LEFT GLOCK RIGHT

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Virginia Dragoon is good . . .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ignernt or stoopid
ignernt is when you" dont know that you dont know."
stoopid is when you have tested somethin enuf to form an opinion an still use a 1911
the 1911 it was designed to replace a pistol that was the equivalent of a 380 an this was good, but since low velocity pistols dont splatter you like a rifle, reliable function becomes important. read lone wolf's torture tests with a glock. they didnt spend $2500 on it to make it work, one of the tests was running it 15 minits in a cement mixer full of gravel, it still worked.
there is a reason i dont use 45's or 40's anymore.
ive shot the glock 9mm without clearing jams or even cleaning it so long i could barely remember how to take it apart. now if i were to be shooting strictly targets the 1911 would probably score better since the trigger would make a difference.
and as for the glKB the glock manual tells you cast bullets will do this, so just get a bbl with different rifling that is made to shoot cast

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you think the M1911 is the same gun and load now as it was in 1911 -- then you're as stooopid as you spell.

Read my lips:

U N S U P O R R T E D . . . C H A M B E R . . .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nonsense, glock shooters about as concerned about glock kaboom foolishness as the next elvis sighting. dont make me start a poll.and if i were ever in a gunbattle my opponent would be so in "awe " of the glock he would likely surrender

one of us
posted Hide Post
We can read your lips, but they obviously can't, and haven't seen the picture above, or any Glock chamber since 2002, so they speak worthless. The Glock chamber is MORE supported than the Barsto. 10 year old bullshit.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glock trigger sux.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's funny. Smiler At least you still have a sense of humor.

Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Glock 26 has never suffered a stoppage in the 11 or 12 years that I've owned it. I prefer a magazine extension as I could never warm up to just two fingers around the grip. Now, my G26 sits in the safe as my Kahr P9 is my primary carry gun. I tried selling it at my local range but due to economic conditions, people wanted it for nothing.

I was at the Remington Arms armorer's school when a ruptured Glock came in for examination as its owner was blaming Remington ammunition for the kaboom. The cause of kaboom was this: the user was using cast bullet handloads but using reloading data for jacketed ammunition. Also, the lead he was using wasn't hard enough causing the bullets to strip through the barrel, thoroughly fouling it. Instead of cleaning the gun, the owner thought he could clean out the lead by firing a few jacketed rounds through it. Yes, the gun blew up.

I've been using plated bullet reloads in all my handguns for years without incident.

Posts: 54 | Location: Nassau County, NY | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote