New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 Pistols
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tied one of the many brands of.223 AR-15 Pistols?
Saw a sig 556 the otherday,,,would this be a good home or personal protection weapon?
With the 30 round clip,seems you would have pretty good firepower....also they look fun!
so far i have seen them offered by sig,bushmaster,olympic..which brand would you recommend?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen them in pictures and video only. The idea always seemed to me to be a bit hokey. Controlling one for directed fire has got to be difficult. Considering the recoil, how does anyone expect to get a second or third shot on target? And that buffer extending out the back has got to make for unwieldy handling. I thought the AR-15 pistol was such a bad idea, I briefly looked at an AK pistol. There was one in the pawn shop here about two years ago. $650. I didn't buy it-- already had a rifle in that chambering...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had one a bit ago. primo ear blaster, good for little else

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technically the Sig 556 is not an "AR" design. Sig has modified the gas cylinder, I'm not sure precisely how, so that it indirectly drives the bolt. This eliminates the bolt spring in the rear, keeps the receiver cleaner, and the bolt doesn't heat up. I looked at one really hard for a few days, opted for a Rem. 700 Police with a Leupold Mark 4, 50mm Mil. Spec. for about the same money. (Just to put cost in perspective.)

Four rails on the front grip, across the top of the receiver, and enough space to turn it into a "Swiss Army Knife" of tactical assault guns, it'd be great for breaching meth labs, or defending an armored car full of gold. But then how often do you do either one of those?

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Seems a lot more suited for fun than defense. my .02

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It'd be great for breaching meth labs, or defending an armored car full of gold. But then how often do you do either one of those?

Well, if the situation ever arises, you'll be ready and I'm sure willing to bust some caps if events require...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The few I've handled seem impractical. The buffer sticks out, off balance. If you want a short AR get the M4. For a strictly home hand gun I'd get a high cap 9 with a laser and light.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote