New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bug-out weapons
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the process of making-up a bug-out bag.Although I live in a very rural area and am close to my bug-out area most of the time, I can imagine I could be away and trouble could happen when visiting a different area or just traveling through an area which could become abruptly "congested". My question involves weapon or weapons of choice. It would seem to me that convenience of packing it and ammo as well as firepower would be the main points to consider. Would like to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An AR15, a reliable 45 auto pistol, 200 rounds of ammo for each and a dozen grenades. That should take care of just about any situation.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I posted, I looked up a Kel_tec SU 16D, which is a short, light 223 with a 9 inch barrel and weighs 4.7 lbs loaded with 30 rds of ammo. Anyone know about this weapon? Need a grenade source.Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and a dozen grenades.

Gernades?
Really?
Just keep in mind, our local ATF agent Raanw monitors this forum.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS.....not even rich people can source grenades. It was a kidding statement. Hopefully our BATFE agents are smarter than that.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully our BATFE agents are smarter than that.

animal

I figured you were kidding, You give our federal gun-runners more credit then I do.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Do you have a bug out vehicle? I think you should get a Jeep wrangler with 33" mudders and a full cage with detroit lockers. Then you should mount a 1919a4 semi auto on the roll cage. This way, if you have a second person, you can really lay down the lead while driving. ALso you can go accross rugged terrain, as the freeways and biways will surely be congested. WIth the semi auto 1919a4 you can link endless belts of ammo, can be converted for 8mm, 3006, or 308. this setup will also work good for the next zombie apocalypse, (but make darn sure you use the right bullets). Good luck, we'll see you in the neutral zone.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
Do you have a bug out vehicle? I think you should get a Jeep wrangler with 33" mudders and a full cage with detroit lockers. Then you should mount a 1919a4 semi auto on the roll cage. This way, if you have a second person, you can really lay down the lead while driving. ALso you can go accross rugged terrain, as the freeways and biways will surely be congested. WIth the semi auto 1919a4 you can link endless belts of ammo, can be converted for 8mm, 3006, or 308. this setup will also work good for the next zombie apocalypse, (but make darn sure you use the right bullets). Good luck, we'll see you in the neutral zone.

Do they make an up-armor kit for that? Big Grin

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Laurie's Papa:
I am in the process of making-up a bug-out bag.Although I live in a very rural area and am close to my bug-out area most of the time, I can imagine I could be away and trouble could happen when visiting a different area or just traveling through an area which could become abruptly "congested". My question involves weapon or weapons of choice. It would seem to me that convenience of packing it and ammo as well as firepower would be the main points to consider. Would like to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter. Thanks

My opinion-

A full tank of gas every time it falls below 3/4 and a GPS with home programmed as the default. If you are somewhere and need to bug out back to home just get in it and go.

The most sensible thing I have read in regards to disasters here in the USA was during the Houston hurricane evacuation a pair of cars left, the cell phones did not work but they kept in contact with FRS radios. The lead car had a GPS and it was programmed for their destination. They stayed off the main roads and just boogied out of town ASAP. Whenever they came across a road closed or a detour trying to funnel them into a major highway they turned away, and the GPS recomputed the route. This way they kept constantly moving in their intended direction towards their home. That is worth thinking about.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
Any budget for this?

My personal favorite is a HK USP and a Steyr AUG. If you wanted to only use one caliber and save weight, a FN FiveseveN and a PS90 wouldn't be a bad choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HK 53 and a .45 USP plus the usual emergency gear.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't bug out info, for me to know and the bad guy to find out the HARD WAY! No need to advertise this subject, kinda kills the reason for bug out stuff. Get what u think you need after some research. Crap don't tell anything on the web!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love this stuff. Being a former Marine I can tell you that every ounce counts. Digging in is different that bugging out and can afford a greater array of firearms. Bugging out comes down to what a car will carry and ultimately what you want to carry on your back.

What kind of Zombie attack are you expecting while bugging out? LOL. This is the question. Assuming your in a heavily populated area and looking to vacate to a lesser one you need to be covered by a minimum battery. Each tier will have a weapons selection for a given attack or function.

Teir one - personal defense I would choose a Glock 17/19 in a concealed strong side or SOB holster with a handfull of loaded mags stategically placed. This is your last line of defense and will never leave your hip. Yes, there is a strong argument for the 45 acp, 40 S&W or a 357 revolver but keep in mind this is bug out and carry stuff. The nine is light weight and 17 rounds goes a long ways. Its extremely reliable and easy to maintain. If you must have the horsepower, by all means buy a 45 but keep in mind the ammo is hevier so you will have less of it for a given weight and there is other things that you will want to have with you.

Teir two - This is personal choice and I have toyed with a 9mmn or 223 carbine or 270/308/30-06 deer rifle but it all depends upon your current location and or expected zombie attack. This rifle or carbine is going to be your more accurate hunting and gathering tool more than a defense weapon IMO. The handgun is great for CQB but not for taking down four legged food. The 223 carbine is the optimal do all and has been used to kill grizzly bears in Alaska. Don't laugh, its true. Point blank head shots with a FMJ kill everything. Deciding upon what your planned needs are will determin what is best in this case. There is a strong argument to just take the .223 OAL and forget teir one. That is personal choice but you will need to treat it like your arm and take it everywhere so your never unarmed. What if your brake yoru arm? That is my argument for having a teir one.

Obviously your going to want to include many other things in your B.O.B. but you were specific to firearms and this is my professional opinion only.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyones opinions on weapons are individual preference although some make more sense than others. NATO rounds preferably (if 'friendlies' are the problem).Most important is water,water,water.Don't forget toilet paper. I know from personal experience how much a roll of T.P.or a box of kotex is worth in a shut off zone.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since I posted, I looked up a Kel_tec SU 16D, which is a short, light 223 with a 9 inch barrel and weighs 4.7 lbs loaded with 30 rds of ammo. Anyone know about this weapon? Need a grenade source.Thanks.

Some one is on a fishing trip.

Grenades and short barreled rifles are subject to a heavey tax and very illagal with out proper permits just asking for them can and will get you very investagated. Don't even think about them.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fishing trip for sure.

we have had several visits from our co-patriots in federal service, that I have noticed, or suspected. We even have one on this thread that has established a rep on AR and always seems to show up to stir the pot.

I mean really, who shows up on a public forum, with no history, and asks for f---ing grenades?

If this guy isn't a shill, then the mounting combination of pressures(manufactured, but not entirely intended) have cracked his nut.

when was the last time you saw grenades advertised on the net? SHEEESH...

as an after thought, a dozen grenades would be only enough to start some shit, not nearly enough to matter.

If you are buying grenades, look for truck loads of them.

Better yet, anyone now where we can do a group buy on RPG 7's? I am in for two launchers and 2 dozen rounds. I could do more, if needed to get a bulk discount.
/sarcasm

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
A .22 LR and 1000 boolits. Doesn't weigh much and isn't that loud.

Hey, thousands of poachers can't be wrong!

Of course this accompanies the AR and 1911. (those two should go without saying. Wink )

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I'm curious...

I never see mention of a 12 gauge shotgun, and wonder why? I'd think for gathering food, it'd be hard to beat a 12 gauge with a variety of loads. And, for self defense, a 12 guage shooting Hevishot's Dead Coyote loads would be hard to beat. That'd stop anyone, and most anything out to about 50 yards.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DlS

Shotguns are very useful but for most limited magizine cap, range and not being as accurate as most rifles or carbines.

But that puts them as useful but not top of the list.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have never given it any real thought as I don't really dwell on really far fetched scenarios. But if I were going to go for strict survival I would take a pistol such as a Ruger 22/45 with a supressor along with an AR-15 with 2 uppers,a 223 and a 22lr with supressor. We are talking about 'survival' here not niceties. I shot my grandsons suppressed Walther P22 this summer and impressed is an understatement.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I am no dooms day prep guy--but I do have a take down ruger 10-22 with a suppressor with 3 30 round mags. and a brick of ammo packed. I also have a sig 229 with 8 mags and and 200 rounds of ammo if I need to protect my self--and family. I have enough gas on had and 7 days worth of food/water--to make it to my ranch where I have other supplies--If it gets worse than that we are all in trouble...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hypothetically speaking: 1100 with the eight shot extended tube, and an AR-pistol in 300 BLK with four 30-round mags.

Funny thing, if you did need something like that (the grenades); all of the BATFE agents are going to be bunkered down while hoping the pizza guy isn't late. You can even run red lights and stop signs if you want to.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the rifle an AR15 in 223 is hard to beat.
With a dozen or so loaded magazines, minimum...

For the handgun I would have a second of what ever main handgun you favor, for me it would be a 1911 in 45ACP, again with a dozen or so extra magazines.

I would also have a small bottle of BreakFree.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
several years ago I was looking for a Sako rifle, a member contacted me and said he had a Sako like I wanted, and wouldn't you know it, he offered to deliver the rifle to me at his brother-in-law's house on Staten Island because he just happened to be coming in from out of state to visit.

All kind of pitfalls in a deal like this, and it smelled bad to me.

I emailed back and said not a good idea, given NYC, NY state, federal law, etc.

And I never saw the guy post again.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The whole bug-out idea is Fantasy Island IMO, ecept perhaps for coping with natural disasters of only a couple of weeks maximum duration. If the roads are full of panicking bug-outs from social collapse and people everywhere are without the where-withal to survive, there is NO WAY you can take enough stuff with you go make a difference in all the various scenarios you may quite likely meet.

You would have a much better chance by staying at home, surrounded by neighbors who also have been thinking about what may happen.

The LDS have had a better answer fore about a couple of hundred years...a year's worth of food and water at/in every residence, a few all-around type firearms with a GOOD supply of ammo, stocks of medical and temp control suppies, and so on.

A true community of common interest has a much better chance of survival than ANY "run for the hills" scenarios.

If things get bad enough folks are shooting at you or stealing all your survival stuff, there is not much which offers real protection, especially not some over-active imaginary plan which will only draw attention and make things worse by distancing a person from their existing survival assets.

And, of course, there is always the possibility that rather than just be faced by disorganized thugs, the bug-outs will be be bugging out into areas conrolled by folks who ARE their own communitiies...and who will not be welcoming strangers, even if they are families with young kids who are intending to be just passing through.

In fact those "mobile" families will get the least help. They will not be able to contribute much to mutual defense, etc., but they WILL use up valuable resources if they are kept alive.

No, lousy option that it may be, an organized neighborhood of folks dedicated to mutual survival and a willingness to work outside ANY and ALL occupiers to assure mutual survval is the last, best hope for most folks.

If your neighborhood isn't such a community, you need to move out WAY BEFORE a bug-out becomes necessary, or start working to make it into a nice mutual defense community.

And also work to help keep society, lousy as it may be sometimes, functioning to provide the life support infrastructure we ALL need and always WILL need in this modern world.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of us who are old enough to remember the late 70's and early 80's and the survivalist movement back then.

I think the new crop of preppers should read some Mel Tappen.Cresson Kerneys, Nuclear War Survial Skills, Bruce Claytons, Life After DoomsDay,

This information has been around for a long time.

Moving to and living in a place that is will suited for survial is much more important then bugging out.

For those who are serious about survial and really think it can and will happen. It is time to move there and get established make freinds become a good neigbor. Show that you are useful and take care of yourself and help out.

You will not be welcome to an area you are not known.

Think you will be able to use your arms to get what you want think again. Those of us who live here know the ground, the people and have guns to.

Survial planning is much more then just bugging out what then. What you can carry is only good for a short while.

Are you willing to trade your guns for food how about your 16 year old daughter, I might need some one to hoe the feild,cook, clean and perform other chores that need to be done.

Yea if it gets real bad it is going to be nasty.

Lets hope it never goes there because I like my life just the way it is. Warm house, don't have worry where my next meal is coming from. Very low crime rate. and all the good things that comes with living in this country as it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As is the norm, Alberta Canuck is correct in his logic. However there is one very real scenario that I think you may have overlooked A.C. especially for those who live along the gulf coast and that would be a intentional (or un-intentional) chemical plant explosion or even a diry-bomb. The wind can howl along the coast and not always in the same direction. There are alot of failsafes but then that was thought in 2001 too.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rae59 but in both of those situations the rest of the country is intact and a safe place to go.

Being prepared for that is a lot easier then a total collapse.

As long as most of the rest of the country is not involved we have lots of resorces to help out. Could be a couple of weeks but thats do able.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Rae59 but in both of those situations the rest of the country is intact and a safe place to go.

Being prepared for that is a lot easier then a total collapse.

As long as most of the rest of the country is not involved we have lots of resorces to help out. Could be a couple of weeks but thats do able.

I agree P-dog, but the OP asked about "bug-out" weapons and didn't state under what conditions. I was merely pointing out that there is a real possiblity for such and I would also want a little something extra in my sack for peace of mind.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Some one is on a fishing trip.

Grenades and short barreled rifles are subject to a heavey tax and very illagal with out proper permits just asking for them can and will get you very investagated. Don't even think about them.

Just FYI, the current Kel Tec PLR-16 is a 9.2 inch barreled .223 PISTOL. The rifle he refers to the SU-16D was/is a short barreled rifle but was clearly sold subject to NFA law.

He may indeed be fishing, but not about the Kel Tec.

With current events, I doubt the PLR-16s will be around long but they may be off radar since they are not one of the dreaded "assault" rifles.

BTW to be clear, I don't own one and have no experience using one.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4X4 Dmax with 50 gal tool & tank combo Total gals 73 cruising range approx. 1100 mi
XDM .40, Mossberg 835, PC 629 8"barrel,
270 Rem 700 ti , S&W airweight.

leather black Bag = 50rds 00buck, 100 rds. 3 1/2 4x6 Duplex 50 slugs, 400rds various 44mag, 2000 rds. 40 cal. ,100 rds. .38spl.
bag is HEAVY

ps truck is red & can pass for fire truck

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be more interested in a "hunker down" battery.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'd be more interested in a "hunker down" battery.

"Hunker down" -- I'm in a rural area, high ground. First place I'd head to "bug out" would be my residence. I have several bicycles, guns/ammo, generator, fuel, tractor and attachments, chainsaw, other power tools. Fenced acreage, and a defensible perimeter.

Having worked as a First Responder, participated in Tsunami evacuation plans, let me put the "bug out" crew on notice that the Sheriff, State Police, Fire Department, National Guard, etc. are prepared to manage any sort of "risk" or "threat" you might present in your plans to "bug out" and become a "survivalist."

There's a contingency plan, and it's not pretty.

Best plan is to hunker down at home, be prepared to sustain yourself with the provisions and resources available to you at home. If your home doesn't provide safety and resources, maybe you need to think about providing for that before the need arises.

A survivalist in a 4WD truck is going to get singled out by the government First Responders.

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote