New
Find
Notify
Tools

personal defense for women.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As has been wisely pointed out by a fellow ARer, my daughter COULD, not will be, be the object of a revenge attack by some dopers she has interfered with. She is at a small E TX College where she walks to class most of the time. This walk can be anywhere from one to six blocks. Let me first say, she is too young, 19, to carry concealed. Second, even if legal, the school has problems with it. So, what I need is recs for say pepper spray, mace, or something similar which would allow her to disengage. At home, she is well protected and has a loud labrador watch dog. I have little fear for her inside her apartment. Anyone entering with bad intentions had better bring a sack of fear with them, because they may not leave alive. Help, please.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato, check out the Kimber Pepper Blaster II. It looks interesting and seems to get get good reviews. I have no experience with it but it looks easy to use and carry especially if your daughter is familiar with handguns.

Make sure she has a good flashlight that is bright enough to disable an attacker. I like the Fenix PD35. It's almost 1000 lumens on high and has a strobe function that will really confuse an attacker.

Good luck.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Can not remember the brand, but there is one out there that is like a 2 shot derringer CS/Pepper Spray(?)and held much like one.

How credible is the threat?
How much did she interfere with dopers?
What kind of dope?
Her SELF PROTECTION is the priority if she has the least of concern they may try to pay her back.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC, that's the Kimber Pepper Blaster that I suggested.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How credible is the threat?
How much did she interfere with dopers?
What kind of dope?
Her SELF PROTECTION is the priority if she has the least of concern they may try to pay her back.

Not that any of those questions are really pertinent to mine, but since I brought it up I'll elaborate.

There is no "credible" threat. It is just the situation where she has interdicted, mostly I think by my actions, the favorite past time of 3 weed smokers who are her neighbors in an apt. complex. If there was a real credible threat, one or more of them would be dead. I have no compunctions against killing someone who threatens one of my family. At my age, it is an easy choice.

Dope as mentioned above is marijuana. I really didn't want to interfere with their fun, but it was bothering my daughter by getting into HVAC system and her whole apt. smelled like someone was smoking a joint.

Her self protection is her and my top priority. If someone hurts her, then their life span will very likely be very short.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would inform the campus Administration and police with names and descriptions of those who is concerned about. Picture preferably.

They have a duty to take affirmative steps to take reasonable actions to secure her safety. Also, if possible have her change her travel routine and never walk alone.

I second the Kimber two barrel pepper blaster. Kimber does not build them but brands them. They are available at most gun shops.

Posts: 10963 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have friend whose daughter was being stalked + as you say on campus the gun theory is frowned upon. He bought her one of those telescoping batons + taught her how to use it.She got so used to keeping it with her all the time that she forgot she had it when trying to board a plane,yep she was arrested.Like anything you need to remain aware.As to the pepper spray,I know I'd hate to get hit in the eyes with it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off what type of training has she has?

Does she have the mental fortitude to defend her self.

Her mental state is far more important then any thing else.

Is she willing to spend time learning how to use a weapon

Can she throw a good punch, knee and kick.

Weapons spray, baton, a good knife, Texas has recently loosened up their knife restrictions.

Again the willingness to learn and use a weapon is far more important then the weapon it's self.

Let me train her for 4 2hr blocks and if she is willing to learn and practice what I would teach her.

In a couple of weeks to she would be a lot more able to defend her self.

But it is an on going battle not just well I had some training and now I can forget about it.

It all depends how dedicated she wants to be.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PDS:

Well, other than normal Texas household conversation, she has had no training. However, she has the mental attitude to do whatever is necessary to accomplish the goal. Just for an example, we had been shooting her Glock 9MM (hers, because she claimed it from my pile) and, after shooting, we were drinking a coke and I was explaining, carefully, the Texas concealed carry requirements, which are somewhat complicated when it comes to using deadly force. I explained that a thief/burglar at night was fair game and could be shot whereas the same circumstances in daytime, he could not, even if he was stealing her items. She looked at me, kind of puzzled, and said, meaning every word, "Not my stuff." All I can say is that thieves are on their own.

I have urged her to take a self defense course, but, college life being what it is, she prefers volleyball and even rugby.

I appreciate your kind offer, if it was an offer, or just the intent, but Wis is a long ways from NE Texas, and I hear you have a surplus of that nasty white shit up there. I'll leave that to my older, now 23, daughter in Madison.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have urged her to take a self defense course, but, college life being what it is, she prefers volleyball and even rugby.

That tells me she does not have the right mind set even with a serious threat to her.

I appreciate your kind offer, if it was an offer, or just the intent.

I travel to train it all depends if you want to spend the money

I would gladly quote you a price.

But we both would be wasting time and money if she doesn't take it seriously.

The hardest students to train are those who don't care.

If you look for a trainer down there.

You need one that takes personnel self defense seriously.

She doesn't need to learn the karate, judo or other dance lessons.

She needs some one who well teach her to defend herself fast effectively with out remorse.

It is not fancy just fast, effective and brutal.

But also how to avoid those situations in the first place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i agree 100% with the karate, judo and dance lessons. unless those are practiced every single day for hours its a waste. about 6 moves practiced 100 hours each (yes i'm stretching it a bit) is all u need. as for pepper spray, i have pulled the trigger on those more than once and had it sprayed directly into my face more than once. theres just two main problems with pepper spray. getting it out in time and wind direction. stream is better than spray. or foam even.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
know whats #1 though? mind set.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PDS:

I appreciate the offer to travel, but I"m going to keep her with the wrong mind set. She is a nice girl and worth saving as is. Thanks but no thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gato,

Any of the Mace type products work great. Latest on the market is the gel type. Easier to use in the wind, the gel smears around on the attacker and makes it worse. Kinda like that crazy string kids play with.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
PDS:

I appreciate the offer to travel, but I"m going to keep her with the wrong mind set. She is a nice girl and worth saving as is. Thanks but no thanks.

Best to you and your daughter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). The cliche' is "it is not the size of the dog in the fight, rahter it is the size of the fight in the dog." You say she is a nice girl... I cringe... The two of you have to work this out.
#2). You say she interferred with dopers. Bad call. If she just stumbled into something... If she is calling the cops, expect revenge. Best move, relocate far away. ...
#3). My suggestion find a martial arts sight and look for a "critical striking points" chart. Buy her one. Tell her to study it. If she looks at it for 90 seconds, she should retain enough... The old "kick in the crouch" is what everyone knows. (Works on girls too just fine. Same nerves, different connections.) The advice I like the least, spread your keys thru your fingers and use as claws. All this will do is provoke/annoy the target. On the other hand, take a pen/pencil, close your hand into a fist, fingers loose. Put the pen so it sticks out between your fingers. Tighten fist. The formal tool is called a "push dagger." There are now pens sold with solid metal barrels. If she is DESPERATE then act completely SUBMISSIVE but get the pen into place and punch. Eyes. Side of neck. Carotids. Vegus nerve. Probably kill. Into the chest, puncture a lung, person will be disabled--hurts to breath... Leave the pen in... Multiple attackers, multiple pens. Above the diaphram. It only takes 12 or 15 lbs force to break the elbow if the arm is straight. HURTS. 20 lbs or so for the knee if leg is straight. Ladies like "heels." Stomp on the multiple bones in the arch of the foot, hurts and disables...
#4). If you fight and run away, you will live to fight another day. Criminals of all sorts have all the rights basically, it is the law abiding that are ham strung from self defense restrictions...
#5). You mention dance. There is a system of fighting with a rope, belt, chain... The drills are like dance. Basically you dance your opponent into a position where you control them with the rope. At worst, you strangle them with rope around the neck. Luck.