THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which concealable pistol for under $500?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
Simple question. Which pistol for concealed carry, for less than $500? Basic calibers only, not talking about mouse guns and such, just a good reliable, reasonably accurate pistol for day to day carry. Could be a snub nosed .38 or a semi auto .45.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter what you have, the best one is the next one you are going to buy.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A/C guy:
It doesn't matter what you have, the best one is the next one you are going to buy.

While very likely true, it really doesn't give a good answer. I too am considering a carry gun and getting my CC license.

It would be nice to have a couple recommendations as a starting point.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel & Shof

Two choices...

I would look for a S&W revolver, either a 5 shot J frame or a 6 shot K frame depending on the size of gun you want to carry.
This applies to barrel length as well.

You will probably have to buy a used one, but you should be able to find a good one as most of these guns are not shot a lot.

I feel a revolver is the best choice for most civilians.

In a semiauto you might be able to find a used a Glock 19 at that price.

I just do not think you could find a lightweight 1911 for $500.00.

Look for the S&W revolver in the size that fits your needs, I think that would be your best choice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure of the new prices, but you should be able to get a Charles Daly Commander style semi auto or a comparable sized EAA Witness type gun. All of these function very reliably.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daniel77,

Several companies import Browning Hi-Power clones that are generally good pistols for under $500 if you can locate one. Such as Arcus, FEG, FM Argintina, and Charles Daily. I've had 2 of the FM's (not the same as the FN which is Belgium) which were good pistols. I have handled but not shot the FEG, CD and Arcus these seemed ok and the owners were happy with them.

Best

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, those were very helpful responses. Now I have a starting point to begin my search.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry?
You've set the value of your life at------ $500.00?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a glock 27 is a good semi-auto for CC. The small frame S&W or Taurus are good too.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
I'm sorry?

TWL I agree with you in thinking "How much is your life worth"???

But many are on a budget.

A S&W revolver is worth the money spent, and they are not that expensive.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Not sure of the new prices, but you should be able to get a Charles Daly Commander style semi auto or a comparable sized EAA Witness type gun. All of these function very reliably.
Peter.

Yeah, I too like the EAA Witness -- great ergonomics and reasonably priced. Shot one in 10mm last Friday and was impressed with it.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I picked up a brand new Springfield XD Sub-compact for $546 out the door. It's been a pretty good little gun so far. It's a bit "fat" though, so IWB isn't perfect with it. That's not my preferred method of carry, so it works for me.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry?

It's a hypothetical question, meant to provoke thought like: what whitetail rig would you outfit for $1000 scope, bullets and all, which rig for $2000? etc.

For a forum that is supposed to be filled with knowledgeable men exchanging ideas and wisdom this place sure does seem to be full of guys who contribute little and piss and moan a bunch.

Personally, I like a mil spec 1911 by most makers, which should come in within budget and our servicemen have killed unknown thousands with. Why do you think you must be carrying a tricked out, high tech, $1200 piece to defend yourself?

Most Glocks and the Springfield XD are around this price range, or at least I've seen them for this kinda money. The Taurus and Rugers are within this price range.

Value is what I am asking about. A $500 gun will kill you just as dead as the latest and greatest creation that all the wannabees must have.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
quote:
I'm sorry?

It's a hypothetical question, meant to provoke thought like: what whitetail rig would you outfit for $1000 scope, bullets and all, which rig for $2000? etc.

For a forum that is supposed to be filled with knowledgeable men exchanging ideas and wisdom this place sure does seem to be full of guys who contribute little and piss and moan a bunch.

Personally, I like a mil spec 1911 by most makers, which should come in within budget and our servicemen have killed unknown thousands with. Why do you think you must be carrying a tricked out, high tech, $1200 piece to defend yourself?

Most Glocks and the Springfield XD are around this price range, or at least I've seen them for this kinda money. The Taurus and Rugers are within this price range.

Value is what I am asking about. A $500 gun will kill you just as dead as the latest and greatest creation that all the wannabees must have.

Very timely post. I am still in college, and just got my pistol license. Want to get one, but honestly I can't afford to pay what you guys with full time jobs can. In the mean time, a sub-$500 or so pistol will have to do.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
S&W Model 19, 3 to 5 inches.
If you cruise the shops, it is not unusual to find a pinned and recessed 19 in good shape for under 500, although that may not be true for too much longer. Model 66's and 67's can be had new for under 500 as well. Folks can learn a 19 fairly quickly- no active safety, no slides, no mags, etc. Shooting .357 loads from a 3 to 5 inch K frame is a lot easier than from a 2 inch J frame also. With the right holster and grip, they conceal about as well as any 5" automatic.

If your budget is 500, it is safe to assume ammo budget will be similiarly limited. Right now, you can pick up 500 rounds of .38 SPL 150 grain LRN for about 180 bucks and get in some good practice. These also work great for plinking and woods walking.
Spend a few bucks when you get a chance and buy a nice holster that fits you or a set of Herrett stocks if they suit you. You are likely to find that the old K frame Smith is still a great sidearm that works for a lot of different things. Some will complain about only having six shots, but folks that have been shot with a full house .357 load are not likely to share that opinion.

If you can find a good p/r Model 19, you are likely to recoup your investment in a few years. But you may not want to part with it by then.
Links:
P/R Model 19 4". Currently 330 bucks with 9 bids on gunbroker. Just an example.http://gunbroker.com/Auction/V...m.asp?Item=132398481
Ammo at Sportsmans Guide:http://www.sportsmansguide.com.../cb/cb.aspx?a=334640
Probably as pretty a pair of Model 19's as you will ever see from The Daily Gun Picture

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
If you want an automatic instead, you can find the new Smith M&P in 9mm or .40 from Bud's for $439. It's their current Deal of the Week. That's delivered to your FFL blus whatever he charges for transfering it.
Hard to beat that. Buy the 9mm and you can plink and practice cheap as well. Buy the .40 and you make a wee bigger hole and with some more energy depending on the load. Your call.
Bud's Deal of the Week

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my ears open for ya bro.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glock 36, .45 cal, single stack 7-shooter. This and the Glock 30 have a redesigned grip that's far better than the other Glocks. I've always carried a Colt Commander or Gov't Model but since my son gave me this pistol I've put the Colts away. The 36 is light and hides under a slightly oversized tee shirt or polo shirt in a belt slide holster. The 30 is the same size except slightly thicker and holds 10 rds. My son's a police officer and the gun he gave me has the heavy 8 lb. cop trigger system but will be changed back to the factory trigger shortly. It's absolutely reliable and accurate. He also "loaned" me a Glock 30 but no holster for it yet so I haven't carried it. BTW, these are not the mini Glocks which I find to be a terrible fit in my hand and I have small hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was needlessly flipant, guys. Sorry. Any properly maintained handgun can do the job, auto or revolver. You've got some helpful answers here. Best of luck.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
A7drvr, Glocks are in demand right now and tough to find under 500 unless you can get a blue label.

ChetNC

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
All great suggestions. One thing I might add is that you can always buy used. Go to GunsAmerica and you can find some really great deals on used firearms. I have bought several from this site and am completely satisfied.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I don't call my PPk "my little friend" for nothing. Its with me any time I'm not at work.

If the PPk is too much of a mouse gun for you, tough, its what I carry and it cost me under $500. Shoots great too.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a ppk/s for $399 near me. Hope to look at it soon. Anything I should be aware of when examining it. I know the have been made for a long time, are any years more valuable/better guns than other years?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP 101, if you can find one.

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of accrash
posted Hide Post
For years, I've carried everything from S&W J-frames to 6" K-frames to full size 1911's. I still carry a J-frame for a BUG, but my primary is now a Kahr CW40. I picked up the 40 and a matching 9 about 6 months ago and have puth several hundred rounds through both. They have both performed flawlessly. They are very light, easy to conceal, and very accurate. As a bonus, they can be found for around $400 new. That'll leave you enough money left over for some ammo and possibly, a holster. Check them out.

KAHR arms

Whatever you choose, practice with it as much as possible and use a good quality holster. Carry it everywhere, even around your house, until it becomes so comfortable, it's second nature to you.

Good luck with your choice,
Chuck

Posts: 55 | Location: WNY | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about the cost but if it's within your budget, you might consider the ADP. I've had one in .40 for about the last 15 years and love it to bits......... size is about midway between the two Glocks.

Look here http://world.guns.ru/handguns/HG183-E.HTM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So many choices & everyone has their own favorites for carry mine are 38spec,357mag & 45acp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind'a like finding a girlfriend, only unlike a girlfriend, a carry gun won't get pissy if you have more than one.

J Frame, couple small semi-autos, couple small 45 ACP, couple "compact" 9mm, couple 1911, couple full size 45 ACP.

Couple holsters for most every option. Not a bad idea to have choices. It's like shoes -- You wear the same shoes every day?

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If your budget will allow it, I like the Glock 27.

It's pretty small, not tiny and light like an airweight S&W. but still a reasonable size for CC

Plus it shoots that Big .40 cal bullet. BOOM

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:
J Frame, couple small semi-autos, couple small 45 ACP, couple "compact" 9mm, couple 1911, couple full size 45 ACP.

Couple holsters for most every option. Not a bad idea to have choices. It's like shoes -- You wear the same shoes every day?

Damn, I like the way he thinks!

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
If your budget will allow it, I like the Glock 27.

It's pretty small, not tiny and light like an airweight S&W. but still a reasonable size for CC

Plus it shoots that Big .40 cal bullet. BOOM

Glock 26 and 27 are absolutely the most fucked up guns I've ever held in my hands. And I've held a shit pot full of guns in my hands.

Blocky, funky, clunky, crappy trigger, top heavy, wide like the deck of an aircraft carrier, unbalanced, and you can't wrap your fingers around the too short "grip."

-- For starters . . .

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Don't beat about the bush, tell us what you really think of the Glocks..... rotflmo

Actually I agree. One is a bit too small for comfort and the other a bit too big, and as you say, both are clunky. Which is why I like the ADP. The size haflway between the two Glocks fits my hand perfectly.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
The FBI used to issue a 3" S&W .357 Magnum with a round butt and fixed sights. I believe it was a model 65?

Actually made a lot of sense and probably in your price range in the more common 4" barrel length. Then if you could find a used 4" get it bobbed and roundbutted with a decent front sight you wouldn't be bad off at all. Cool

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i found a used glock 17 for $425.... not that i like plastic pistols, but it goes bang everytime you pull the trigger... also have a s&w .38 special airweight....also under $450...i can hide either 1....the desert eagle .50 wasn't concealable....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was forced to use Glock 17's for several years.

I carried 2 of them at all times.

The first 2 I had fired over sixty eight thousand rounds each, before they were "rebuilt".

Several thousand rounds later they were replaced.

I had very few malfunctions, and only broke one part, a trigger return sear spring. The gun still fired, I discovered the broken part when cleaning.

Several times I shoot more than 1000 rounds in a day, several days in a row.

While the 1911 is my favorite, I cannot knock a Glock 17.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:

Glock 26 and 27 are absolutely the most fucked up guns I've ever held in my hands. And I've held a shit pot full of guns in my hands.

Blocky, funky, clunky, crappy trigger, top heavy, wide like the deck of an aircraft carrier, unbalanced, and you can't wrap your fingers around the too short "grip."

-- For starters . . .

LOL and the guys I work with think I'M a Glockophobe. rotflmo
I've seen enough Glocks do stupid things that I'm not comfortable carrying one, but most people seem to do just fine with them. They're the Roman short sword of handguns, simple and can be issued to the masses with good effect.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a 1911 or mid-sized framed, short, heavy barrel revolver guy.

I hate Glocks. But they work, and they work, and they work. I just hate 'em for the way they feel. But...they work.

114-R10David

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a 1911 or mid-sized framed, short, heavy barrel revolver guy.

I hate Glocks. But they work, and they work, and they work. I just hate 'em for the way they feel. But...they work.

I feel exactly the same. Until they do this.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griz

That is a great video. thumb

However over the years I have seen known of most every kind of handgun to "bolw up".

There has pprobably been more rounds fired through Glocks by Law Enforcement than any other semiauto.
[For competition it would be 1911's].

Overall there has not been many problems.

I am not a Glock Freek [I am a 1911 Freek], but I have shot and seen shot a lot of Glocks, with very few problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I WENT TO AN INDOOR PISTOL RANGE IN PLANO, TX WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR A CC PISTOL MANY YEARS AGO. I WAS ABLE TO TRY MANY HAND GUNS THEY HAD FOR RENT TO FIND THE ONE I LIKED BEST. AFTER YOU FIND THE ONE YOU LIKE, THEN IT IS TIME TO START HAUNTING GUN STORES, PAWN SHOPS, THE INTERNET AND THE LIKE TO FIND YOUR GUN.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote