TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose the 5.56mm NATO could be considered "personal defence and concealed carry" for a really huge soldier in a bulky overcoat. Otherwise, I don't see how it fits in this forum. But what do I know. I carried a 1911 government model 45 ACP in my stint in the military. It was in a highly polished leather holster right out in the open for everyone to see. And hopefully heed.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
"Anything That Is Related To Personal And Home Defence And Concealed Carry"

The thoughts behind posting here:

Many of us consider a rifle as a tool for Personal and Home Defence (the 5.56 is offered in several pistols currently as well, though unlikely to be cosidered "Concealed carry" ,except ,as you mention by only the Larger of us.)

The information presented ,I also considered useful with respect to education on terminal ballistics in a defensive role since many of us have elected the AR type as home/truck/barn guns.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Interesting work by LCDR Roberts.

Good info, thanks.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
This is a totally relevant posting. There are a number of studies that show that a .223 rifle is a better home defense weapon than a handgun. Shoot ability and over penetration after exiting a BG. Many .223 softs and hollow points will fragment almost completely after hitting two sheet rock walls. Many 9mm and up hollow points will pass through numerous sheet rock walls and barely expand.

Gunsight just published a great document on tests they did on this very subject.

Great info on the 6.8! My brother shoots one on coyotes in an AR15 he built; it does an awesome job at all ranges. After hunting and shooting since I was 8 and carrying an M16A2 for six years in the Marine Corps I am 100% for arming our troops with a more powerful cartridge in the M16 platform.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote