Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please Can Anyone Help?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm in the market for a .32 or a .380 in a small concealable gun .what would you choose?there are so many to choose from I would like a cheaper one that is good

Posts: 13 | Location: South West Florida / Sarasota County | Registered: 09 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
cheap, small or good.... pick any 2.... stir

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walther PPK/S in .380ACP if you must.

New Walther in 9mm is about the same size, so are the small Springfield XD

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
Welcome redmarlin77!! wave

Colt Mustang Pocketlite

No, it's not cheap. Neither is quality.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Based on ammo availability and power I'd skip the .380 and pick up a small 9MM. There isn't a hugh gain in power but 9MM is easier to find than .380 lately. Over the past few years several good quality compact 9MM's have come out. It's hard to find "cheap and good". I'd start with Kahr and look up from there.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
i have a keltec p3at it is small easy to conceal accurate to about 6 yds . good back up but like the kimber 45 better

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
do want to try the walther their p22 is a great gun

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Redmarlin77, i understand the small part but not the cheap part. If you are going to conceal it then i would guess that plan on useing it for selfdefense. In that case it MUST be 100% reliable, you need to be comfortable with it and also shoot it well. I would suggest shooting a few different handguns if you can and see what you like. For small carry guns i like the Ruger SP101, S&W M36, S&W M386 or the Glock 19. I hope this helps. patriot

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been carying a Walther PPK/S in 380 for several years. It shoots well and is 100% reliable. At the NRA show in Phoenix I saw a PPK/S in stainless that was a 9mm that I thought would be ok too. I carry the PPK/S in the summer and a fullsized Beretta M96 in the winter.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out Ruger LCP!!! Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think the CZ83 is a good pistol, and it's not too expensive over here. Mine is in the Euro equivalent of .32 ACP (7.65mm Browning) but it is also available in 9mm Makarov which is a very good round in a small pistol.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sig P229. A friend's wife wanted light weight and recoil.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ruger LCP is really good, and not expensive, shoots right where the sights point
had problems w some really cheap forien ammo
but otherwise blew off hundreds of rounds with no problems, lots better to shoot than J-frame
but it is tiny and about the best thought out pistol ive seen for what its designed for ,

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I have been studying this question for some time. SMART MONEY says minimum for safety in combat is the 9mm luger. Now if you want to give up a little of that for conceal ability then the .380 is the answer. GO NO SMALLER! .22, 25ACP, AND .32ACP give up too much. Incidentally, the .380acp is European civil police round of choice with good reason. They call it the 9mm Kurtz(Short). I bought the .380 SIG/SAUER 238M-380-RG. 2-7rd magazines as extras

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been studying this question for some time.

I am glad you have decided.

I guess the OP hasn't yet he has not posted 8 in years.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I have been studying this question for some time.

I am glad you have decided.

I guess the OP hasn't yet he has not posted 8 in years.

dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 20years ago I got a P9 KelTec and with my big hands I couldn't squeeze the trigger far enough back to make it fire. Needless to say it found a new owner right quick.

An old friend bought the 380 KelTec and with it I could barely hit a foot square target at 7 FEET. Several us fired it and I had the best group by far and that was about 4 on the target.
For sure a belly gun if there ever was one.

I carry a J frame myself.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5955 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe in buying "cheap" tools I might use in a dire circumstance. Put a glock 19 or the compact on lay away. Buy a milt sparks holster. Practice drawing and dry firing empty. Keep your finger off the trigger until the sight covers the target.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been amazed by the longevity of this thread!!! So, let me ask: "What about a 22 magnum"? Not really any smaller in dimensions than it's larger counterparts in a revolver, but I would think that penetration would be pretty spectacular. I would not hesitate to carry my Taurus 941 concealed if I had to.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hhm. Kind of answered my own question. The American Rifleman says:
"The goal is to make the bad guy stop doing bad things. Handguns stop a threat in three ways. One is by causing enough pain that the bad guy submits or voluntarily decides further violent action is a bad idea. Another way is through incapacitation, which is an involuntary reaction on the part of the bad guy in response to being shot. Incapacitation can be instant or it can take a long time.

The third way handguns stop evil intent is through fear."
Based on their tests penetration of 22 mag. is about 12 inches in ballistic gelatin.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'tween the eyes'll work dandy!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5955 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote