New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Texas knife law
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Starting Sept 1,2017 a new law concerning knives goes into effect in Texas. This law removes all illegal knife references such as dagger, Bowie, yada yada however, Location Restricted is still applicable which partly means a blade over 5 1/2 inches. Only thing different I see is I now could carry a "Bowie" knife under 5 1/2" long but not over. Didn't know a knife under 5 1/2" would be considered a Bowie.

Posts: 3809 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The changes are more sweeping than you've indicated. The 5.5" length and the double edged restrictions largely go away. The "location restricted" clause appears to apply only to places like schools, places of worship, universities, and 51% establishments (bars).

If you stay out of churches, schools and bars, it looks like you can carry a concealed katana, if you really want to.

https://kniferights.org/legisl...repeal-bill-hearing/

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
concealed katana

Hmm. Without dressing like a Japanese from 200 years ago, how would one conceal a katana? I have one, battle ready, so am interested. I live in Florida and wear shorts and a T shirt pretty much 12 months of the year.
I don't conceal throwing stars in my pockets for obvious reasons.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL!

This guy makes a pretty good attempt:
https://youtu.be/GKm9bx_D1T4

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Impressive! However, my Katana will not bend like that!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Funny,yes! I do have a 1600's Katana made by the Kodo clan/village/et al. A Pacific bring back + verified by the Honolulu samurai group chief at Camp Perry a few years ago. That being said,if I chose a sword then I think I would prefer a sword cane.But that brings back memories of "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" when that rather large Berber produces his sword + weaves a 'wall of death'+ my favorite part when Harrison Ford just looks at him then produces his triple lock + nails him dead center. I carry a Sykes/Fairbiarn but trust my 1911 more.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sword canes are nice. I have a cheap one made in India. But, it still looks a little suspicious!!!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Analog, thanks for the clarification. I question the issue of knives when we now have open carry of firearms. Would you rather go up against a .25ACP or a sword?

Posts: 3809 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Analog, thanks for the clarification. I question the issue of knives when we now have open carry of firearms. Would you rather go up against a .25ACP or a sword?

Well, the guy with the knife would at least have a fighting chance against the .25. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

Depends on who was waving what and how good they were with it. Generally speaking, I think I'd take my chances with the .25. He could miss. Having your head or arm lopped off is so permanent.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote