New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 23
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a glock 23 gen 4 - got a smoking deal sub $400.

Anyone have any thoughts on it.

Its will be my first 40 cal gun.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I always thought they were perhaps the nicest balance between compactness and shootability that Glock made. I haven't held a 4th generation one yet though. I've been thinking of one or maybe a 19.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Nice deal. I got my used Gen 3 at $350. Unfortunately, I haven't shot it yet. Thanks for the reminder. It feels good. I like the balance between my 17 and 43. It will also take over from my Sig P239, pending range time.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own 3 of them a 2nd gen and two 3rd.

Great pistols they work well.

I carry a 13 round mag in the gun and a 15 round one as a extra.

I carry the 2nd gen one as it is all beat up and I can't hurt it any more. 17 years a almost every day carry gun has taken its toll.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a one I bought in 1995 right after Texas allowed concealed carry and have carried it nearly every day since (unless I'm out of the country), it's been shot a bunch and will go "bang" every time you pull the trigger on a loaded chamber, shoots straight, too. I believe you will like it.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2771 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad the 23 is well liked. It's my first 40 so I need to buy ammo - any recommendations.

Also any recommendations on holsters ?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For practice the cheapest you can buy,

For self defense Federal hydro shock, Remington golden saber speer gold dots Not the mid velocity gold dots.

Are all top rated.

I prefer the mid weight range 150 to 165 bullets at around 1100fps.

If you youtube there are tons of them out there testing every bullet.

One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
I just got one, a LE trade-in Gen4 for $369. It was very dirty, but it still had the copper anti-seize compound on the slide and connector, fired very little if at all. My first .40 as well. Also got a 22Gen4 for $339! I like the balance between size and magazine capacity and they are a lot of fun to shoot. Have fun with it!

For practice ammunition, I just look on AmmoSeek and get whatever shows up on the search. I also like MBI remanufactured from Lucky Gunner, has never let me down. For carry, I like either Federal HST or Remingtom Golden Saber.

Happy shooting.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
just got one, a LE trade-in Gen4 for $369. It was very dirty, but it still had the copper anti-seize compound on the slide and connector, fired very little if at all

I brought two of them from my old dept. Gens 3s when they went to gen 4s.

I knew the Sgt. that was running the program and asked him for captain and Lt. guns knowing that they were shot very little.

They didn't have packing grease on them but us armoers took care of that every year during inspections.

But they were shot very little.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I carried one for about 10 years on duty and loved it.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I finally shot mine today at Defender Outdoors in Fort Worth. As a side note, great place and I’m not affiliated. I drove my mother over to a concert with her sister and had a few hours to kill. I took five pistols, G23, G43, Sig 239 .40, Kimber Custom Royal .45, Kimber TLE/RL II 10mm. Why did I select those? No idea, but I needed to shoot the 23 before relying on it. I also like taking multiple pistols because it’s fun, but also to determine if user error or if it’s the gun. While not my best day at the range, the G23 was terrible. When I say terrible, my first two 5 shot strings ended up with I think only 6 on paper shooting a target with 5 bullseyes (maybe not the right term). It was the second or thrift gun I shot. I shot the others multiple times and pleased, but still not my best day. I ahot it again later and thought it may have been fitted with an improved cylinder choke! My 239 is comparable in size, but maybe a tad heavier, but shot great.

It’s going on the block now. I had high hopes for it. It has the 5.5lb trigger, which I don’t want lighter on a Glock. I shot my little G43 better. My G17 Gen 1 shoots very well, so it’s not Glock. Maybe I got a lemmon. Thinking now, I should’ve had the range officer (he was packing a G19x) fire off a mag to see, but it was getting busy and that’s not his job. Sorely disappointed. Although I bought it used, it appeared to be in good shape with little use, but I don’t think “shooting out” a Glock is possible unless it looks like it was dragged behind a truck. Therefore, I have no use for it.

Side note: I also brought along an original 1909 Argentine cavalry carbine which just received a Timney trigger (maybe I shouldn’t have said original, but hey) and wanted to give it a go. They have an indoor 100 yard range, which was nice as is was damn near 100 degrees today. The rifle range officer was delighted to see an old gun on the range and not an AR or other plastic gun.

If anyone is in the area, I suggest checking it out and the eating Angelo’s BBQ just a few blocks away.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a police armorer and instructor I had contact with hundreds of Glock 23 pistols.

I also own 3 of them along with several 22s and also a 35.

The average for a Glock is around 3 inches at 25 I seen hundreds of them shot and tested many myself.

I would check to see if the sights are tight I have seen them come loose.

There is a very slight chance that it has had lead bullets shot through it and has a lead build up problem.

Other then that problem I have not seen much variation in there accuracy.

I have heard many times it is the pistol fault not mine from students.

Then when I would shoot nice tight groups with their pistol. We would go to work on there problems.

Yes you could have a lemon.

I would suggest you shoot it off bags and see what happens then have someone else shoot it.

About the only way you can prove it is the pistol.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I always test my guns, from an MTM pistol rest at 25 yards. I test my reloads this way as well. Ideally a Ransom rest would be the way to go, eliminating sight alignment and all other variables.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just thought of another remote possibility.

Some very volume shooters have seen the .40 cal glock frame crack by the two front pins check that also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the G4 improvements such as captured dual recoil spring and the frame were to prevent the gun being broken by volume 40 SW and 357 Sig rounds. I think the trigger bars were also changed to be more robust.

I guess if you shoot anything enough it will break. But this gentleman’s pistol should not have cracks. If you are going to shoot 40SW or 357 sig in a Glock, the G4 was designed to handle these rounds. Older pistols were just 9mms with 40SW or 357 Sig barrels, so under volume they cracked.

Posts: 10970 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like this one is a Gen 3

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, I will try all the above as I had high hopes for it.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I suppose I also could have rented a G23 from the range, but I think was getting late.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I suppose I also could have rented a G23 from the range, but I think was getting late.

I think for normal self defense glocks are near bullet proof. Enough use can destroy most things but at $500-$550 one will shoot 5x in ammo cost to damage it.

You may just have got a lemon. There are enough Glock replacement parts and Glock experts to figure out the issue or you could sell it.

Side note - I love angelos

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

I think for normal self defense glocks are near bullet proof. Enough use can destroy most things but at $500-$550 one will shoot 5x in ammo cost to damage it.

You may just have got a lemon. There are enough Glock replacement parts and Glock experts to figure out the issue or you could sell it.

Mike

Mike, sorry for the hijack. I will explore Muns options and go from there.

Yes, Angelo’s rocks. I wanted more than frozen schooners of that cold beer, but had to drive my mother...precious cargo.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

Mike, sorry for the hijack. I will explore Muns options and go from there.

Yes, Angelo’s rocks. I wanted more than frozen schooners of that cold beer, but had to drive my mother...precious cargo.

I always get a beer but I can see why you would sacrifice the beer.

Damn I now have a hankering for angelos Cool

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two model 23s as house guns. Both have night sights and laser/light combinations. I like a light that has the strobe feature.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote