Find
Notify
Tools

What States allow carrying more than one CCW
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted
This is in Oklahoma. When I went to my CCW class the instructor stated that you could only carry one handgun. I ask what about a backup. He said only LEO needs a backup. Do any States allow carrying a backup handgun?

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Many do, though not NM; we're also limited to only one handgun.

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most states license the person not the gun, thus allowing you to carry as many and types as you want.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
NM licenses the person also, but you must qualify with a handgun type - revolver and/or SA. Then you can carry only one handgun of no larger bore diameter in the action type(s) you qualified with. For instance, if you only qualify with a 9mm SA, you cannot carry a .45 or a .357 revolver. On the other hand, you can qualify with a .45 ACP and a .45 LC and then you can carry pretty much whatever you want, but only one!

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
TN as far as a know does nat say how many. One can qualify with anything and carry anything.

We are lucky to be one of the "Free States".

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I believe LA is the same, at least I've not heard different. I know that you don't have to carry what you passed the test with, at least. Can't say I've ever heard the question of more than one gun posed or answered.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of any such restriction in NY.After all here we have the "NY reload" where instead of a normal reload you draw another gun !! dancing

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasjohn:
Don't you think it would be good to know all the rules about CCW in your State.

NOBODY knows all the rules, including the DA and the cops. They are always making/changing laws. There are certainly things you need to know. On the other things, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a very good understanding about the pertinent laws, but do you think you know ALL the laws about driving?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
California does.

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
I think I owe everybody an apology. Apparently my CCW instructor gave out bad info about only being allowed to carry one handgun. The law is vague, but does not state anywhere that only one handgun can be carried. It does not say you can carry more than one either.

So I am getting a backup. Big Grin

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can carry as many as you wish here in Idaho. Big Grin

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Oregon certainly allows the carry of as many as you want, of whatever types you want. I always carry two...a high-cap large bore semi and a little-bitty Smith hide-away 9 m/m 5-shot revolver.

Of course Oregon also allows you to carry full-auto firearms, sawed-off shotguns, even hand-grenades and other destructive devices, SO LONG AS you are in complete compliance with all Federal NFA regulations while doing so.

One thing you really can't carry in Oregon suppossedly is a switch-blade knife, of any length. Go figure. (You can buy and sell them as "collector's" items, just not carry them.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Florida. It's a concealed weapons license.

You can carry a .45, a .38 and a 7" Randall #1, all concealed, all at once, with a .22 mag in your back pocket and a Benchmade folder in your shirt pocket, if you want to, or any other combination you can come up with.

There are a few neighborhoods in Miami where I'd want more,though, and I would never go there, anyway.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Florida. It's a concealed weapons license.

You can carry a .45, a .38 and a 7" Randall #1, all concealed, all at once, with a .22 mag in your back pocket and a Benchmade folder in your shirt pocket, if you want to, or any other combination you can come up with.

There are a few neighborhoods in Miami where I'd want more,though, and I would never go there, anyway.

Some parts of Miami are NO GO areas even for Police

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, unless something has changed recently, you can even carry a switchblade in FL with a CCW permit. I wouldn't, but it IS legal.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leanwolff:
You can carry as many as you wish here in Idaho. Big Grin

L.W.

Oregon and Washington, carry as many as you please and you don't have to "qualify" with any of them. No guns "listed" on your permit (which is gun registration).

Oregon and Washington permits do not allow concealed carry of a long-gun, or even a large concealed knife. But open carry is lawful, and "automatic" knives (switchblades), are lawful so long as they're not concealed.

One of Us
Picture of Cary Howard
posted Hide Post
Thomasjohn, I too am from Oklahoma and have my Concealed Weapon License and my instructor told me that you can carry as many as you can conceal!!!! I was stopped last week and I had 5 concealed in my pickup. I told the trooper how many I had and he just laughed and said "Damn I hope you have enough"!!!! Big Grin Let me know how many you end up with!

Posts: 210 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TCLouis says about Tennessee,
quote:
We are lucky to be one of the "Free States."

That's because you are in the South...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I carry my Ed Brown Special Forces "open carry" in a Milt Sparks BN55 @ 4 o'clock and an M&P 340PD CT, "concealed carry" in my front left pocket as a BUG......Utah!

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
I've never read any "single gun" statute for PA.

I've packed 3 on a few occasions....just to see if they could all be effectively concealed.

They can. Big Grin

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In Texas we have a CHL (concealed handgun license) The only restriction is as far as what you may carry depends on what action type you qualified with, If you qualify with a revolver, single shot or double derringer then one of those is all you may carry, if however if you qualify with a simi auto, you can carry any handgun, or as many handguns as you can conceal.

Even if you intend carrying a revolver it is better the qualify with a simiauto so no matter what handgun you decide to carry you are legal. On your licnse will be the letters "SA"(simiauto), or "NSA" (no Simiauto) As I said if your license is SA then you can carry any type handgun. The other thing is you must qualify with at least a .32 cal handgun, but after you get your license you can carry any caliber you want even a .22 short if you want, or a 480 Ruger or 500 S&W if you can conceal it.

The Texas CHL only pertains to handguns! Federally legal Rifles, and shotguns are not regulated in Texas and may be carried openly, However the Texas CHL has nothing to do with the carrying of knives.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona require no CCW.

Oregon and Washington allow concealed carry w/o a permit:

In Oregon if you're a licensed hunter/angler and "going to, coming from, or engaged in." (Sheriff notes, "If you have a hunting license and a gun, you're on a hunt -- short of being at work or in a PTA meeting."

Washington, no permit required for concealed carry if "engaged in outdoor recreation, going to, coming from." Walking the dog probably qualifies. Watching a game may not qualify, depending on circumstances.

Washington law states they'd like to see you have a CCW from another state. So in some very real sense it's a "reciprocity clause" for tourists.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I got my first concealed carry permit in New York in 1971, there never was to my knowledge nor is there now a limit on the number of guns you could carry.

I now reside in Nevada, and the same goes here.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some laws are pleasant surprizes .I find that TX honors many other state's carry permits and some are UNIlateral like that for NY.
It would be nice if NY would honor others but don't hold your breath ! Frowner