Find
Notify
Tools

Update from Colorado
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TWL:
Thank you for the apology. Speaking for myself, I accept.

As you have probably gathered, most of the posters in this forum actually walk-the-walk. Many are former military, or former police. We are real shooters who shoot thousands of rounds per year. We are real hunters. AR is centered around African Hunters, so many have faced the Big 5 with a rifle that only holds two rounds.

As a day-in, day-out CCW carrier, I felt this was a good opportunity for us to reflect. Mindset, training, and equipment are all important for sucess. As threats evolve, so must we. In this situation, and several others in the past few years, we've seen several instances of the bad guys wearing body armor. For a CCW holder, this would of been a tough situation. In this case, negating the advantage of his vest would greatly enhance the opportunity for the CCW holder in improve the final outcome.

Although I'm very competent with my current CCW arm, it would not defeat his vest. That Century is a BIG theatre. If a CCW holder happened to be located the back of the theater, headshots might not be practicle. In addition, at distance it's harder to tell if the bad guy is wearing some covered armor, and access the effectiveness of your hits.

So, if a guy wanted to ditch his 9mm (which got zero votes in the poll) for something that might else, what would give you the flexability to increase your odds in this situation, but still be practicle for daily carry, and the more run of the mill scenerios where you might be more concerned with projectile containment to minimize risk to civilians?

Even a 3a vests are not rated for the big hard casts. Even if it was defeated by the vest, it would leave a lasting impression on his ribs and cause the significant blunt trauma, perhaps moving the advantage to you.

FN 5.7, even with Nosler Ballistic tips is said to penetrate they type of vest he wore. With a 20 round mag, would this be a reasonable choice.

Tokerev with it's small high velocity bullet is suprisingly effective against vest, but it's and old, dated design.

The 1911 seems popular in the poll, but I wonder how much of this is just inertia.

That was the basis for my question. I hope we can continue the conversation in more typical collegiate tone we typically have in this forum.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TWL

We all make mistakes. You are a class act.

Now let's get back to talking tactics, mindset, gear and the like.

popcorn

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We all make mistakes. You are a class act.

I'll second that!
Dr dog guy,
to answer your question, yes, some do have experiance, some are ex-mil.
But, there in lies the rub. The highest percentage are not. If you go to many of the big city police stations, they have a barrel of sand they must put their glocks in to chamber or extract a round. To many fellow officers lockers shot that they had to do it before someone was killed. Do you want one of them pulling down in a crowded theater, or someone who has spent months in combat? You take your pick, I'll stick with mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You think those LAPD SWAT cops don't get into gunfights? And I suppose none are former military?

Chuck

I was thinking more about what a decent guy TWL is and less about your post.
But, you didnt read what I said. I said SWAT wanna-be LEO's. Even the small town cops seem to like to gear up in tac shit and think they are something they are not. Much of it is just the culture we have nowdays, so be it. But the realdeal they are not. If you feel safe with them comming to your rescue, good for you, I hope it never comes down to it for your sake, but if your happy,I'm happy.
I've been in combat, I've seen extreme foolishness and cowardace from men all trained the same. You just dont know until the shit hits the fan and you are counting on the people beside you to do their part.