New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Ultra Carry II
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looked around for a new carry piece to replace my old heavy Taurus 445 in 44 Special. Decided I wanted an auto in 357 SIG or 45 ACP. I looked at Springfield XD's and Smith M&P's, read up on the CZ RAMI and the Taurus 24/7 Compact. Settled on a S&W M&P in 357 SIG. Fit my requirements and I went into the shop and came out with a Kimber Ultra Carry II. 45 Auto with 7 round magazine and it simply called out to me from the back row of the display case.

Brought it home and fired it. Pleasantly surprised at the lack of heavy recoil from such a ligh handgun. It shot factory FMJ and HO's as well as some reloaded Rainer FMJ's. Not a bobble and all the empties were within 5 feet of my right side. It does not ding the cases and I have had more perceived recoil from 38+P revolvers. It recovered quickly and all the rounds were within what I call "Minute of Bellybutton".

Sometimes despite all our plans something wonderful comes into our lives. This Kimber is one fine piece of equipment. Hard to resist too when they know your first name.

Now I know with my nickname I should have gone for the CZ, and I will never part with my CZ75Tactical model.

Posts: 49 | Location: Maine | Registered: 17 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume that by CZ75 tactical you mean the SP01? I have a Kimber Pro Carry II in 38 Super which I really like.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a Trained person, that shoots fairly regularly, a 1911 style pistol in 45 ACP is one of the best choices, maybe the best choice... for a protection hand gun...

IMHO of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a trained person that shoots farily offten most any handgun that shoots when you pull the tirgger well work fine.

There is nothing magic about a 1911 style pistol. I perfer glocks my self.

But then a hipower, 92F, any good revolver ect ect works well.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the weight difference between that 'old' Taurus and the 'new' Kimber, the way you carry it for protection? That would include gun, ammo and holster.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cz75Tactical was a Limited Edition CZ had a few years back. 1000 of them made in Black slide and NATO Green frame. NOT the SP01.

Weight of the Kimber unloaded is 25 ounces. The Taurus is no longer on the website so not sure exactly how much it weighs. It feels about a half pound or so lighter with fully loaded magazine as opposed to the fully loaded 44 Taurus. I get 2 more rounds with the Kimber. That is only my perception as I have not weighed them.

I had a Hi-Power that I traded for the CZ75Tactical only for the double action feature. Both the Hi-Power and CZ75 seem to have the same grip feel. I have 2 other 1911's and found for my hands and the way I hold them that these are the two best handgun frames for me. I do not like the feel of a glock, they do not naturally point for me like the CZ and 1911's do. The feel boxy and when I bring it up the sights are never "on" for me. Nothing against poly frames as I also own a FNP-45. Just not a fan of the Austrian Tinker Toy.

Owned a Beretta 96 in 40 S&W and enjoyed shooting that also. Nice pointer, but started to have too many calibers and decided on 9mm and 45's with a momentary urge to get a 357 SIG. Also discovered that a 9mm can get into a 40 by mistake and a 40 can get into a 45 and actually feed from the magazine. To avoid that possibility I got rid of my 40's. No mistaking a 9mm in a bunch of 45's.

My only revolvers are 44's, either Specials or Magnums. My 8 3/8 inch Model 29-2 Smith is a bit hard to conceal. The Taurus was nice and a great shooter, but the weight was becoming an issue. It is still my "Bump in the night" by the nightstand gun. I live near Steven King and use Laser Cast Silver alloy bullets because of these pesky werewolves that tend to hang around his place.

Posts: 49 | Location: Maine | Registered: 17 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
For a trained person that shoots farily offten most any handgun that shoots when you pull the tirgger well work fine.

There is nothing magic about a 1911 style pistol. I perfer glocks my self.

But then a hipower, 92F, any good revolver ect ect works well.

Well maybe I should have clarified my statement a little more.

If a person is well trained I think the 1911 in 45 ACP is the best semiauto handgun there is.

If a person is not well trained, then for a protection gun a revolver is probly their best choice.

For people who are "semi trained", like most Law Enforcement, who have only recieved the standard Acanemy training, they get by with DA semi autos, and Glocks. Which next to a 1911 I like the Glock.

So for a Citizen with no formal training, and who is not a "shooter" then a revolver is best, IMHO of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even the "small" 1911's are pretty large. I don't care for carry "cocked/locked" . . . I have a Springfield Ultra Compact, "loaded" -- and it's a nice carry option, but I'm not comfortable without a hammer strap.

Too many times I've thumbed the safety on a 1911 holstered and discovered the safety had been pushed "off." High quality Galco holsters, but I think there's a "down side" to the extended safety.