New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Your Long-Gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"Don't bring a handgun to a gunfight." -- Or, the local State Police reminds us, "The sidearm is only to cover my butt until I can get to the long-gun in the squad car."

Think about it: My tricked-out 1911 is good MAYBE out to about 80 yds, in IDEAL conditions. A decent lever gun w/ open sights works well past 100 yds, and a decent scoped gun gets dialed in tight at 800 yds or more.

I like a short shotguns, Rem. 870, and there's the AK w/ 75 rd. Bulgarian drum. I've never been a fan of "The Black Rifle" -- but if it works for you, I won't argue.

When I'm "in camp" out in the open range, I keep the AK handy. It's designed for tactical defense/offense. It's a "battle rifle."

Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. in the truck -- or the AK. Sometimes the Rem. 870.

And for a scoped gun, I like a Win. Mod. 70, 30-06, Leupold scoped, 3 - 9x 40mm duplex.

It's nice to have options. This is not "urban defense" in the suburban malls. This is out on open range, BLM, Nat'l Forest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fn-Fal with a 1-4 Leupold. It gives me lots of options in one package.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
Fn-Fal with a 1-4 Leupold. It gives me lots of options in one package.

Roger that. It'd be on my list for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Luckily I never had to use it but when I went to shows years back carrying some very valuable items, I carried a 15 with a second magazine taped on, besides a 1911. At the time, there was a gang of Colombians who regularly robbed the dealers. One of their techniques was to have the tires go flat after leaving the show. Luckily, never happened to me, because if it had, changing the tire might have taken a looong time while I was checking my six.

Around here, again never having to use it, I sometimes carry a 18 inch barreled Marlin SS .45-70 with the thought that a) it's a good stopper and b)unless the perp is completely nuts when he sees the hole in the end of the barrel he will tend to cease and desist. Nobody in their right mind really wants to shoot unless they've got no choice left.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Randell:
"Don't bring a handgun to a gunfight." -- Or, the local State Police reminds us, "The sidearm is only to cover my butt until I can get to the long-gun in the squad car."

Think about it: My tricked-out 1911 is good MAYBE out to about 80 yds, in IDEAL conditions. A decent lever gun w/ open sights works well past 100 yds, and a decent scoped gun gets dialed in tight at 800 yds or more.

I like a short shotguns, Rem. 870, and there's the AK w/ 75 rd. Bulgarian drum. I've never been a fan of "The Black Rifle" -- but if it works for you, I won't argue.

When I'm "in camp" out in the open range, I keep the AK handy. It's designed for tactical defense/offense. It's a "battle rifle."

Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. in the truck -- or the AK. Sometimes the Rem. 870.

And for a scoped gun, I like a Win. Mod. 70, 30-06, Leupold scoped, 3 - 9x 40mm duplex.

It's nice to have options. This is not "urban defense" in the suburban malls. This is out on open range, BLM, Nat'l Forest.

Geez, I hope I never run into you out on the forest....talk about paranoid! If you think you need that much armament to feel safe in the Great Outdoors, perhaps you need to re-consider why you go out there.

Posts: 3873 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geez, I hope I never run into you out on the forest....talk about paranoid! If you think you need that much armament to feel safe in the Great Outdoors, perhaps you need to re-consider why you go out there.

I "go out there" to go shooting . . . In addition to what's listed, generally a bench gun, a couple Mausers, maybe some BP, silhouette pistol, several thousand rds ammo.

When you're out in the boonies with a small arsenal, it's wise to have a "defense plan."

I go to shoot and shoot all of it while I'm there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
J.D., agree completely, most of the time I'm alone. I've run across some folks that I was not comfortable being around.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
carry rifle???... when i was ranching 25 yrs ago, there was a 30/30 on the dash of my pickup....now if i had to carry rifle on a daily basis, it probably would be my armalite ar-10, .308.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on situation around the house It's the 12GA Pump out in the field it's my SKS with a 25 round mag.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 16" AR with a flat top red dot sight is hard to beat. I also have a 16" Ar-10 with a Daniel defense Quad rail forearm with an Aimpoint red dot mounted. The 308 reaches out a little more, and with the surefire Muzzle brake and collapsible stock, it handles real well.

The Ar platforms are so much more versatile due to the ability to change the uppers to a target or tactical use. The many sight options from open sights, to red dots, to high end variable scopes can be changed with little problems and quickly.

A few extra mags and you are ready to handle a real situation.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ArmaLite M15C/Aimpoint Comp M2
Benelli M1Super90 18" barrel/mag tube
Husqvarna Mauser Action 30:06 Redfield 3x9
STI Trojan .45
STI VIP .45

I'm on a diet Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Master bedroom..450 Bushmaster w/3 10 rounders clamped together and barnes 250gn X
mossberg pump 9-shot copper plated 00
Springfield TM 45 w/3 10 round mags.

Bathrooms..S&W 357 8 shot nightguards in towel rack. [cant be caught w/ your britches down] Big Grin

Easy chairs are loaded w/ nightguards and gold dots
JM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bedroom has a Mossberg 835 with 24' barrel. Like a Marlin 336 behind seat of truck. Marlin 882 at camp, just in case.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Socom II 16" barrel .308 20 round magazines. Aimpoint T-1 red dot.

Fun guns, because they are not 100% reliable.

.50 Beowulf in a 16" barrel AR, with a 1-4 NF NSX

Saiga 12 guage with 13 round magazines or 20 round drum. You have to fire twenty slugs in under five seconds on target to really appreciate what this thing is.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
AR-15 6.8 SPC with 16" barrel. Beats the 5.56 by a considerable margin IMHO&E

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Leave a Mini 14 in my pickup.

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Winchester 1300 22" barrel carrying 5 rounds of 000-buck down and 5 slugs on a stock sleeve.

A pair of Colt AR's if we gotta go tooth, fang & claw.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mossy 500 with AR style collapsible stock loaded with rounds containing 1 .69 caliber ball and six #1 buck. Real nasty rounds. Also S&W M$P 15 AR in M4 config. Flat top with fixed front sight and folding rear sight not sure what optics I want yet if any. Those are the main defensive weapons but there are many others with specialty applications I won't mention.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
Either my 870 rem 28" barrel with 3" mag 00 buckshot or a 30-30 marlin 336. I like the idea of a tube feed magazine to add more rounds as is called for and time permits.

Or even my ruger 10-22 and old phone books duck taped together for body armour... lol

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mossburg 20" 8 rnd 12 gauge 00 Buck

16" 5.56 1:7 Bravo Company upper on Stag lower w SOPMOD; coincident 552 Eotech M855 ammo

16" 6.8 SPC II 1:11 APR floated bbl on Aero Precision Upper/lower w SOPMOD and Strikefire red dot 95 gr TTSX, 100 gr Accubond or 110 gr ProHunter ammo

18" 6.8 SPC II 1:11 floated fluted WOA bbl on Black Rain upper/lower w SOPMOD and 3-9x scope 95 gr TTSX, 100 gr Accubond or 110 gr ProHunter ammo

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Starling, can you tell us a little more about those 6.8's???
I'd be interested to hear how those TTSX and Accubonds perform out of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Antelope,

The 6.8 SPC II seems to be a delight. Both of mine are homebuilts. Both have really good BCGs and barrels.

I tend to shoot a 110 gr Sierra ProHunter as practice ammo ... projectiles are cheap and hold up well. I load on SSA small primer brass which seems to have s larger capacity than anything else.

The Prohunters are a bit more accurate than the TTSX and Accubonds. In terms of sturdiness, the PH is softest, followed by the Accubond and the TTSX, but all these are adequate for deer hunting. I'd go with the better bullet for piggies.

I load with RL-10x and H322.

In general the recoil of the 6,8 is not a great deal more than the 5.56 ... but it is noticeably louder.

The 18" rifle shoots 1/2" to 3/4" 100 yard groups. The 16" rifle holds 2" at 100 with the red dot. Haven't shot that rifle with a scope yet. Both rifles have Bill Springfield 3# speed triggers.

The 6,8 is not a .264 Win Mag ... not even close to a .270 Win ... but a darned handy rifle with about half again as much terminal energy as a 5.56. I think it brings the AR in to a viable hunting rifle for things beyond varmints.

Lots of data on ballistic performance and game performance over on the 68Forum. http://www.68forums.com/forums/index.php

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the 6.8 link. I see some of those guys are shooting 110gr bullets around 2800, that's a big step up from what I'm getting with my AR. At somepoint I'd like to build one.

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
This AR is my HD gun.
My XD45 Service carry gun is also pictured

This is the shotgun my wife keeps on her side of the bed.

We rehearse tactics from time to time.
This area has problems with meth and home invasions. I'm very sure we can give a good accounting of ourselves if needed.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote