New
Find
Notify
Tools

Venison jerky
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I've just made a batch of jerky and its fantastic if I do say so myself. The recipe is supposed to be a South African biltong one.

White vinegar
salt
pepper
sugar
corriander

I added Chilli.
Even the young bloke hooked in

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Where'd you get venison up that way?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
That Nitro, I'll tell you about when you get here.

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes' Jacks reminds me of a story.
A mates father was stationed at Archerfield airfield in Brisbane during the war.His brother was in Darwin in the Army supplies section unloading Dakodas.
The whole extended family was eating Buffalo flown in from darwin because of the rationing of meat.
The two brothers were butchers before the war BTW,that helped.The transports were going up to Darwin loaded and comming back empty,except for some fresh buffalo meat.
Mates father went on to Milne Bay shooting up Jap landing barges with a Bofors.They were supposed to be anti-aircraft but jacked up the Bofors with coconut tree logs to get the barrel down low enough to fire down into the bay.
He was one of four brothers who left for war,all returned.One was a POW in Changi prison.

one of us
posted Hide Post
G'day Bakes, to make the jerky, do you marinade strips of meat then dry, or is a joint marinaded, then cut and dried?

Have you tried it on any other meats/

Thanks.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
You cut the meat into strips first then marinate the strips over night. Whack it in the dehydrator and turn on. Easy!

I have some cajun roo to try next.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried Smoking meat, I use inland Red Gum don't know if you get that up norte, We sometimes cut knots off trees and I save the sawdust, Have hot smoked fish and home made sausages..
Want some Exotic Chile seeds I'm your man, currently only growing Tepins Pea size wild Chiles (slow)=to germinate..
Was the Chile-Champ 2 yrs running here,
Luke in Oz

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I went through a stage last year, when the smoker got a real work out. Barra, Cherrabin, fillet steak, pork spare ribs, chicken hmmmmmm...chicken Had to buy the saw dust, Smokee Bobs ironbark, not bad.