THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Re: NZ High Country Deer Population Explosion

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: NZ High Country Deer Population Explosion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's causing the explosions?
Must ruin a lot of meat?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
just saw an item on our evening TV news about deer populations exploding in the South Island High Country . As a result of two years of virtually no helicopter deer recovery the deer numbers have grown to the point were deer are now reappearing above the bushline and posing a threat to the Alpine Herb species found up there .
The "experts" are calling for the use of 1080 poison drops to control the deer numbers - the deerhunters , obviously , hold the opposing view .

I suspect that a) deer numbers have increased , but not exploded and b) the deer now realise that they can venture out above the scrubline without getting the shit shot out of them all day long , so they are now more visible .

This situation has to be a bonus for hunters prepared to hunt in alpine conditions , and the helicopter operators are cashing in by airlifting hunting parties into the appropriate areas instead of hunting deer and flying out the bodies .

The fact that venison prices have crashed and international venison markets were getting pretty windy about 1080 residues in wild deer has played a major role in the reduction in aerial hunting in recent times.

Any of the NZ South Island guys have anything to add ?

No homo jokes please FC

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Muzza
Do you think I can get a camper van that high up the mountains?

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Mate , if you have the money I am sure that someone will have a helicopter with sufficient lift capacity to get you and the van as high as you want .

Should make for an exciting drive down too I expect - best get the missus to do up her seatbelt

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Could be anally ingested flatulism mate , maybe the deer have heard about your sexual preferances...

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

I'll help you push the campervan up there - if there is room for me, of course!!!!

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mate , if you have the money I am sure that someone will have a helicopter with sufficient lift capacity to get you and the van as high as you want

You could be right...your Airforce isn't doing much now days, can a huey lift that much?

Sorry BB, I don't think the wife will put up with two hunters in the van, Its going to be hard enough with the two boys driving her nuts.....make that three

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
A Huey could probably lift the van and your family , would struggle if you were in it too

Actually we have helos with much greater lift capacity than the HU-1 , use them in the forestry industry for selective logging operations.

Mrs Bakes has my sympathy if she is going to be trapped in a mobile snail with three small boys.....

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Ohhh thats not nice

And its not 3 small boys....its 2 small and 1 big one...me

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I suspect that a) deer numbers have increased , but not exploded and b) the deer now realise that they can venture out above the scrubline without getting the shit shot out of them all day long , so they are now more visible .

That sounds more the case. Deer don't "explode" in numbers in two years. Probably just feel safer to be in the open during day light hours.

Th outfitter I hunted with in '93 had little marine board huts flown up to prime alpine hunting altitudes so I guess Bakes could get campervan up there. Getting down may be a problem for his damage clause in the hire agreement though.

Sounds like a hunt to South Island is called for. Great!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
Year saw that too!
That RETIRED botanist wanker that started all that shit about the Deer eating all the Mount Cook Lillies and 1080 is the only way to save them needs his head kicked in.
Yes there are a few animals around at the moment but so what.
Will know for myself when we fly into Fiordland on the 16 April.

Milosmate

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yeah , if I recall correctly he did have a history of tree hugging and anti introduced game animal mentality .
I dont believe the animals are in vast numbers , they just havent been harrassed from the air for a while and are returning to their old areas in daytime - hence more visible .
we can only hope that the anti deer brigade dont manage to make any sort of political headway out of this .

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you need help pushing the camp ervan up there, I'll be right behind you... er... let me rephrase that... I will help push the campervan up that far - you get there under your own steam, and preferably walking upright

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
There it is again , Aussies reverting back to their preferred sexual activity!

Try and have a sensible,intelligent, thread and what happens?

Will Bakes knuckles still drag on the ground if he walks upright?

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Will Bakes knuckles still drag on the ground if he walks upright

Another shot at me

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Just trying to protect the alpine flora , mate . Its the drag marks from the knuckles , disturbs the root structure of the alpine daisy and the prostrate hebes etc . Cant have foreigners in our pristine alpine areas desecrating the wilderness...

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I've had the prostrate checked mate no "hebes" up there!

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeeze,I hope it happens in south Queensland over the next few days. I,m packing up to drive down for a weeks Red Deer hunting at the moment. Wish me luck.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
What , youre going to South Queersland to have your prostate checked.......?