Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Vanguard
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
Where's the cheapest price to pick up a Vanguard, synthetic stock and blued action in 270WSM or 300Weatherby? Looking to spend under $700 if possible.
Thanks...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Jeeze Con why would you buy one of those .....

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont know about the older model ones ,but I bought the new model Vanguard or Fiberguard as its now called in 300 Weatherby. Very nice stock ,stainless barrel, and nice rifle except for the piss poor trigger which I got repaired straight away. It was $1069 from Queensland gun exchange. A trigger job will be a must if it was like mine and you are trigger fussy like I am.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,
1. They're a cheap package with mounts.
2. They have a cheap synthetic stock and in 300Weatherby would be a cheap way to get a magnum length action for a far future project.
3. They're so cheap that I can load the 300Weatherby pretty hot and still come out ahead after a rebarrel.
4. You could probably sell it in a year or two and still make your money back.
5. They're so cheap that when my elected scum-bag government finally confiscates (oops buys it back), I'd probably still make money on the deal.
6. I'm a gun s%#t and just can't help trying out something new, especially when it's cheap.

But seriously... they're pretty heavy at around 4kg scoped, so would be a perfect test bed for trying out a 300Weatherby (except for the 24" barrel), and doing your own fiddling with pillar bedding/free floating and other improvements.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cleavers period.

Don't forget the accuracy warranty,if it doesn't shoot groups smaller than 1.5" it goes back. HTH

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with the vanguards, my 338win groups under 1 inch, only had the trigger done. Can't complain about that, got it when the s/s models first came out and paid $995.00. Frank O'rielly's has them for $650.00 blue/syn and all cal's, i was there today browsing. Did own one in 300wby, functioned well, but there is not much room in the mag for those long shells, as it is only standard long action. 180gr loads just missed touching the mag when seated to the cannulare.
just my experience any way.

cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had my new fiberguard bedded and floated. They have an aluminium bedding block but can still do with more bedding around the barrel. Mine shoots terrible groups but I think it is the 20 year old PMC ammo I was using (very very high presure for factory ammo). It was lighter than I thought ,I usualy like a bit of weight in a rifle but at least it is not too heavy to lug around. I just checked the freebore tonight since I was pulling all the old bullets and powder out and found it has 1/4" freebore and as you said the bullets cant be seated out much further.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take a dirty old Ruger MK11 before a Van Guard....IMHO they have a nicer feel but each to his own.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a Vanguard to replace my Ruger. Ruger= over rated piece of @#%$

Posts: 25 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, had a squizze at the local gunstore where they sell in the $750 region. Not sure of the model names but the older Vanguard has a nicer stock than the newer Vanguard, older one had a rounded fore-end where the newer has a more triangular stock that reminds me of a cheapy Piers stock. Okay rifles but I think I'll save my $750 and fork out for some custom work instead.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
CON

locally in USA the Vanguard is the low end model
ranging from $500 to $750 depending of make up
BIG problem -ammo costs more for this rifle 1.5 to 2 x's as much and not every dealer carries it
Winchester Model 70 with scope around $395
just about every place carries the ammo
and to top it off it is a good rifle- ballistic= ammo is good- 1/2" to 1 1/2" pattern at 100 yds

good luck on your choice of weapon

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote