Find
Notify
Tools

Re: I Bet You Miss Me!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted
Yeh, but them Congonese would tell you anything!

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well it is time for me to take some leave. Tomorrow morning I take off to our old south to hopefully slay a wiley Eastern wild turkey. Will probably be a 12 hour or so drive. Have you all got any transplanted birds there, maybe NZ? Muzza, you got turks? If so, who amongst you have hunted these big birds?

Turkeys are considered BIG GAME in the States. My shotgun is smoking still from a weekend of patterning. So is my shoulder...

BTW- if I get one it will be my first! No virgin jokes please.

Posts: 19159 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We only have this protected native bird.

I give you the...TAH-DAH..."Scrub Turkey"...

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
We also have the plains turkey up here, but its realy a bustard. I have a pic somewhere I'll rustle up.

Goodluck Ann, hope you get one!

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I found some pics on the net but they had a copyright on them so I thought "better not" Here's a link to a site for the Australian plains turkey or the Australian Bustard. Bustard

Fairly common here in the NT, protected however.

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shaun,

That thing really does resemble our wild turkey. How big are they?

Bakes, your link isn't working.

Posts: 19159 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You only live once Bakesy.
As long as we aren't making money from them.

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
The only turkeys we have in Oz are the ones who are running the country!

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Ann - the only turkeys we have here are the domesticated version of your wild ones , just regular farmyard ones gone wild. Naturally enough we have a Government full of similarly stupid creatures , but what country doesnt?

Our turkeys are not hard to hunt - find were they roost , sneak up at night , dazzle them with a light and chop their heads off with a machete...
Or you could actually hunt them and shoot them , but they really arent that great a game bird , most unlike your ones .Few people here hunt them at all.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their are American wild Turkeys on the North Island but they are anything but hard to get.

The Turkeys in Washington and Oregon are also easy as pie. Just walk through the woods and beat on a hupcap with a stick. When you hear one, walk over and shoot it. Almost as easy as Canadians (Geese ) or Pigeons.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
FC I didn't want to get Saeed in the shit, but if we don't make money of them....

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first to say it - Australia is a land full of Bustards... fat bustards , thick bustards , old bustards , ugly bustards , why the list is endless. Did I mention naked bustards with watches and hats ...?

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
We have wild turkeys on Kangaroo Island in South Australia. Introduced of course. They survive as there are no foxes on KI.

Muzza - I saw lots of turkeys when hunting red deer on North Island and during the day they were very alert and moved off as soon as they saw us. From several hundred metres.

Hunting during the day hardly compares to spotlight shooting any animal or bird.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
No doubt about it NitroX , turkeys that have been hunted get smart fast , but mr average free range turk isnt overly smart . I have to agree on the spotlight issue , although possums get wise fairly fast and turn away from the light .

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
How can I hope to soar like an eagle
When I associate with a bunch of turkeys?

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
The pics of the bustard, doesn't show its size well. They are quite a big bird, tasty I'm told but only the black fellas can LEGALY hunt/eat them.

one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Anne, i hunted turkeys in NZ last year, they were everywhere - even managed to bag a 'feathered' one .

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
And your implication here, young lady , is ..?????

I see two birds , but which is the bigger turkey?

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Don't you go getting Sam pissed off mate, I want her in a good mood while she is mounting my stag!

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I've seen mounts of the turkeys tail, fanned out, I quite like them. Did you mount that one Sam?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
OOOOOPPPPPS

one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Nah bakes - turkeys dont really intrest me, taxidermy wise.

I was on the peacock hunt at the time and this guy popped up.

The ones you see mounted from the states have fake or freeze dried heads, feet, legs and god knows what else. More like a jigsaw puzzle than art. (dont want to offend any US taxo's with that comment - its just the way i see it)

Oh, and Muzza - just doin a bit of fishin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Goodness Sam, where's your Camoflauge? Where's your camo hat, your face mask, your shirt, your camo pants, your gloves, your socks? Where's your camo wrapped shotty? How can you shoot a Turkey dressed normally? Don't you watch the videos on TV? That's impossible.

What will happen to Cabelas when the word gets out and people stop buying all that stuff?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
SSShhh , dont spread that around or the whole outfitting industry will fall flat on its overpriced butt.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Samatha

Did you eat the turkey?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Nitrox, the bloke who took me cuts the breast off only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Let me be the first to say it - Australia is a land full of Bustards... fat bustards , thick bustards , old bustards , ugly bustards , why the list is endless. Did I mention naked bustards with watches and hats ...?

Muzza, you are too funny!

This was a good read to come home too, I did not score on a Tom. They were still henned up and so, no luck. I was only there for two and a half days anyway. I heard birds each day. One person in the group missed one strutting a few feet away. They did not pattern their gun with the choke they decided to use! BAD!

Anyway, a nice guy has offered me some land access here in Mich-i-gun (my state of Michigan) for May, so there is still a chance I can kill a bird.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
That poor turkey had no chance in hell mate.

Imagine you being a turkey, and used to see other turkeys - feathered and none feathered varieties - and suddenly you see a gorgeous creature looking at you.

Wouldn't you stand wide eyed and appreciate it?

BANG! One dead turkey, that'll teach you.

Sam,

Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 66956 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post

Thanks for the welcome Saeed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anne.... Good luck with your turkey hunt...

I understand that you have been talking with Jackie Burns regarding turkey hunting...

She's a close friend of mine and she is a VERY skillful turkey hunter and an excellent source of information..

I've been known to shoot the occaisional gobbler in the face myself... .......

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only one way to shoot turkeys; 45/90 Sharps!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about this bustard?

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
So what does aussie bustard taste like?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tastes like a cross between a bald eagle and a whooping crane...

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Arent those two species protected by law ?

That what I call living dangerously!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess if the bastard eating the bustard is hungry enough, it would taste like a feed from the finest resturant!

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Arent those two species protected by law ?

That what I call living dangerously!!!

Pygmies are protected too. But if you find the right Congolese soldier he will tell you they taste a bit like pork.