New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to S.A. from Canada, maybe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wife has another "bite" on a possible teacher exchange for a year. Berri S.A.

What do you know about hunting and fishing opportunities in the area?
N
Murry river right there, is this area any good for cod and crays? Any pigs allong the Murry in the area?

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Fallow,Goats,Foxes and Rabiits to hunt,John AKA NitroX is the man to ask aout south Australia.

If you get over to New Zealand,i can help you with hunting over here.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hunting opportunities close to Berri aren't great, probably mostly rabbits, foxes, cats etc. Goats will be possible although not common. I think pigs are fairly unlikely. I've not heard of deer anywhere along that part of the Murray (the area is known as the Riverland).

Murray cod are possible but there is a closed season for all of 2009 in SA. Callop (aka yellowbelly) should be more common. The freshwater cray is protected however Yabbies make a good feed. Have a look at www.pir.sa.gov.au for recreational fishing info.

Ian

Posts: 62 | Location: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ian in Oz:
The hunting opportunities close to Berri aren't great, probably mostly rabbits, foxes, cats etc. Goats will be possible although not common. I think pigs are fairly unlikely. I've not heard of deer anywhere along that part of the Murray (the area is known as the Riverland).

There is pig hunting near there on or near the Murray. Don't ask me where as I have not been told, but know of a guy who hunts pigs near there but won't tell me where. Mad Wink

Limited duck hunting season was on this year. Small game are available all year such as rabbits, foxes, hares, plus probably some goats, and definitely a few hours drive away if not nearer. All on private property so will need permission but if gained unlikely to cost much or anything at all. There is public duck hunting reserves on the Murray.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

The exchange is on so we will be flying out in Dec. 09. May go to NZ or to Tazi first for a few weeks then to Berri. I'll have to get to know some locals who shoot and hunt and see if I can tag along.

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
we are in the process of moveing there permanant from bc. If you go to AHN you might get a better idea but the best i can figure for most of OZ is there is always something to hunt somewhere you just have to jump through the right hoops.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time I was there you "had to jump through some hoops" but you had to be walking on a tight rope and juggling while you jumped through them.

I was only going to be there a year and it would have cost too much and taken too much time to get all the permits and such.

So aI just snuck out with some mates a couple times.

posted Hide Post
I moved from Berri about 18 months ago. Lived and worked in the area for 4 years. The opportunities are there but like a few others said it's mainly small game. Fishing is the go as the towns are all river oriented.

The Riverland itself is mostly vineyard and orchard properties and they're not really conducive to allowing people to hunt. If you can get access to some of the northern Riverland pastoral properties or the stations adjoining Danggali National Park along the border with NSW I have seen goats along there, the SA side is all National Park so no go for hunting. Have also seen pigs in the National Parks but you won't get approval to hunt them.

Licensing is not arduous but it will take a while so if you're only here for a year then might not be worth it (ie it took me six months to get my licence, but there was very little required of me to get it, a one day course was it, the rest is spent waiting for various approvals).... On the upside Renmark has one of the better gun dealers in SA.

The SA Field and Game Association at Moorook would be the best place for you to start, they have land available for members to hunt on (again small game only) and may be able to suggest how to work within the licensing situation. They have a couple of members who are in the know and one in particular who would be sympathetic to Canadians!!

Hope this helps a little bit.

Posts: 2 | Location: Murraylands, South Australia | Registered: 30 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Remember also an unlicensed adult foreigner (or any adult) may use a firearm in SA if supervised by an adult licensed shooter. Including for hunting.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote