Tools

Taipan Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted
Tell me about these bullets they seem to a very heavy duty bullet

Thanks Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
TAIPAN BULLETS

Taipans are actually relatively soft, being the old style jacketed bullet. No tapered jackets, steal inserts, partitions or other high tech stuff. I have used them quite a bit on small/medium Aussie game & ferals with total success, in .22/250, .25/06, 7mm08, 7Mag & 300WSM.
If you follow the 'jackets' link on the website it gives a good explanation as to why they don't like being belted up the butt by heavy charges in the small calibre magnums, I think in the larger and more modestly performing calibres the projectiles would work just fine. They worked great in the 7mm08 with max loads, but in the 7Mag where not nearly as accurate until I reduced the loads.

For our soft skinned critters they are great and at way less than half the price of Partitions or B/Tips you can't go past them. Availability is an issue - small factory. Plenty to go around after a production run in a certain calibre, shortage in others. I buy loads when they are available as it may be a long wait until they are around again.

Their 170gr flat point is my choice for the 30/30 on hogs.

Basically, they are old technology bullets - used at reasonable velocity they are great, but pushed too fast they lose some accuracy and may be too soft to hold together after impact.

I think they would suit the 'classic' big bore calibres but Weatherby's and the Ultra Mags would be too much for their soft little bottoms.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I have some .264 bullets to try this year and WHEN my Rigby is ever finished I'm going to use Tiapans in it for pigs as such. Woodleighs for the bigger stuff. The .264's went for (If I can remember) $16+ postage or there about from Rebel.

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them in my 303;170gnHP, Mas36;130/150gnHP,6.5x55; 120/140gnHP and 223;55gnHP. I used to have a 243 and used 85/90gnHPs with great success on ferals and fauna and were reasonably successful on silhouettes excepting rams, hence the 6.5x55. I find/found that the 223 and 243 had to be driven hard (near top loads) to work well on game else they would not open up and pass right through. Most target shooters I know are using them now as US stuff is getting too dear, their comment not mine.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. It strikes me they are built to maintain jacket uniformity, is this true? Has anyone shot stuff larger than ferals? The 190 .30 cal HP and the 170 Fp are very interesting to me.

Thanks, Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Haven't used the 190gr HPBT but think they would have great potential as a long range hunting and target bullet, although, as geekay said, the Hollow Point does show the typical HP need to be moving pretty fast at impact to guarantee expansion.

The 170gr FP has a cannelure that if used will give the correct OAL for .30/30. Have only used them on hogs, but there has been some pretty big, tough ones amongst them and with a proper hit they drop really quickly. Should have been out after deer this weekend but family stuff made it impossible to get away, but I have no doubt they would be effective. The exposed lead is soft, took 100 rounds to the Northern Territory last year in MTM cases. Not having the correct case for 30/30 meant they were point down. 2 hours in the car from Katherine to the Roper River distorted the tips, making them even flatter but this had no impact on accuracy. They really are a good bullet.

Taipan have no trouble selling every bullet they can make, they are very approachable and are always willing to answer queries about their product. Direct contact would be worthwhile.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them in .416 and they work well for grassy's.....open more readily than woodleigh's. I think it's great we have a local manufacturer. I have asked Malcom for a .458 500 gr soft on a couple of occasions...I can not wait till they do them.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently I used the 130 and 150 grain taipans on goats. They worked great, they seemed to expand reliably and left a huge exit hole. The results were better than some soft points I also used.

Doc1972.

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with the Bertram bullets is they are nearly the same price as Woodleigh's and are not weldcore/bonded, if they were priced similar to Taipan's then Malcolm might be in trouble.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
416SW
True... but Bruce has displayed a willingness to discount for bulk. $50 per 50 is too expensive, $90 per 100 is getting better... Even cheap Remington 405gr are $40 per 100 with no discount for bulk.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What weights do his 6.5mm bullets come in ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody purchased Pistol Bullets from Malcom Lately?
What Colour is the Teflon,
We used to use him but are currently using Hawksbury River..
His prices were good.. Our PC had a problem with Taipan last year and we changed suppliers.. Will probably use him again when we run out of the 50,000 projectiles we purchased..
Luke in Oz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Luke,
Try Redback Projectiles in Brisbane,he's the best pistol projies I've found.
He works real hard to make sure the lead is the right hardness and he's too cheap.HTH
Russell-(07)3801 3478

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have called Taipan a few times about .458 cal 500gn bullets a few times as well. If he brings out some cheaper 500gn bullets for practice and fun ,I will buy some. Other wise for cheap practice I use the 405gn Hawkesbury River Bullets. They are the blue coated ones.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cr500,
What do the Hawkesbury projectiles sell for and are they gas checked? I bought some Ten-Ring 415gr FNGC and they're close to 50c each, which is not worth it in my opinion.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hawkesbury bullets go for around 20c each. I think a box of 250 bullets in 458 cal are around $50. The newer ones with blue coating and in a blue box are supposed to be able to stand higher velocities before leading. They arent gas checked.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that , they sound okay for light loads using Unique or AP100. I'll see if I can get my hands on some and give them a try.
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it easy to put a gas check on the hawksbury river bullets ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ta Shaun I'll get our treasurer to contact him, and as a Bonus he's closer than Horsley park who now don't take club Cheques!! VISA-MASTERCARD only< Hawksbury river had a Hiccup a while ago, the Guy Broke his arm and is probably a tad behind in production..
Luke in Oz
FWIW I Cast my Own, not flash but am working on finding a Good LYMAN Steel Mould for 38/357, The Lee alloy Moulds are Shite..
Cast 12G Slugs out of a Lee Mould which is Good.. But then Again Pure Lead Casts well..