THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    spearing wild boar (Cold Steel Boar Spear)?

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

spearing wild boar (Cold Steel Boar Spear)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We are dove hunting this July in Argentina. The outfitter has offered a day of wild boar hunting but they are worried about injuring the dogs using a gun or a bow. They run the boar with Argentinian dogos who "catch and hold" the boar while the hunter slips for kill with a knife. I was thinking that to use a spear might be a little bit safer as I have never seen this done.

I searched the internet and found "Cold Steel Boar Spears" with a cost of $60 including the handle. I do not know if this is a real "tool" that I could use to kill a 200-300 pound Russian wild boar or if it is meant as a decoration on the wall of a trophy room.

Thanks.

###########################################################

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?CS95BOA

CS95BOA Cold Steel Boar Spear 82.5" Overall

Specifications: Boar Spear
Weight: 1.25 lbs. (spear head only)
4.25 lbs. (with shaft)
Steel: SK-5 medium carbon
Length: 18 1/2 " (spear head only)
13 1/2 " (blade)
82 1/8 "(overall with shaft)
Shaft: 71" x 1 1/2" Premium Ash w/ dark walnut stain
For 200 years, the boar spear reigned supreme as the staff weapon of choice in the forests and often the battlefield as well. Only the invention of reliable firearms in the 18th century could fade its renown. It would have disappeared altogether if not for the decadent tastes of the Northern European nobility. To them, hunting with a firearm was a pale substitute for the thrill of hand to hand combat in the forest with nothing but a spear.

Now you too can enjoy the same excitement with Special Projects modern recreation of this classic spear. Cold forged out of medium carbon SK-5 steel and heat treated to a spring temper, the massive blade is designed to flex under stress instead of breaking. It has an overall length of 181/2" and weighs a whopping 11/4 pounds! What's more, each blade comes fully sharpened to a utility edge and features a sturdy reinforcing rib to make it as stiff as possible for maximum penetration. The spear head comes with an extra stout premium ash shaft.

Current Order Information:
Our Price: $59.95

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Hey I've been trying to get a couple of these into Oz for a year. The freight of US$200+ was and is a bit of a problem. I was planning to buy two boar spear heads and add the shafts myself plus a couple of Samburu javelins as well.

Seeing if I can put them in a new Tuffpak (plus a double rifle ) and get all three shipped together for the same costs as each of the three would cost individually. Getting them all through Customs should be fun .

From the looks of them the boar spears are true usuable boar spears, except the cross-guard might need adding to.

Crazy Aussie dudes tell me it isn't needed as a large knife or bayonet is ample when dogging pigs, but I like the mediaeval way of doing it for fun . My plan is to use a Samburu spear and finish it off with the boar spear.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't see why not.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
In his younger days ( like 1920 ) my Grandfather managed a sheepfarm - yes NitroX sheep - in the wilderness that was plagued by wild pigs . He used to hunt them down with his sheep dogs and kill them with a short handled tomahawk . Men were tougher back then.....

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Every once in a while I see another pic of some guy who has used one of these on his hog (as is). We used to make spearheads when I was a kid using scrap leaf springs, an arc welder and old bamboo fishing poles (we were short kids!). I actually speared a groundhog (marmot) by standing over the hole like Nanook of the North and thereby learned the use of the crossbar and why these were adapted so early in the life of the spear. I was pushing on the butt with my finger tips before he died! I would want something VERY sturdy if I was going to stick a pig.

Cold Steel's blades are stamped out of sheet steel and the socket is formed by rolling or folding around a tapered mandrel. It should be no problem for somebody with a basic metal shop to make. My brother-in-law makes gigs (for floundering) of the same socket design in his shop.

No pigs around here and spears aren't legal for hunting so I haven't pursued this even though I have been looking with interest at Cold Steel's products for a while.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Nitro
Billy over on "Australian hunting Net" makes knifes. He's just made me a fleshing knife, for $35 (he only charges for material) He'll be the guy to speak to if you want on made.

Posts: 7979 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote