New
Find
Notify
Tools

hunting in new zealand
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
am thinking about a trip to n.z. and was wondering what kind of hunting opportunities are available, without an outfitter? varmint, big game etc. trip only in talking stages so time of year is open, are licences or game tags expensive ? is bringing a gun and ammo into coutry a problem ? probaly a lot of other questions i should have asked. thanks in advance ed in idaho

Posts: 94 | Location: 22089red bluff lane lapwai id. | Registered: 05 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ed:

Getting guns into NZ is pretty easy; you fax a form over to the police and pay 25 bucks at the airport. Then you take your guns with you.

You can hunt in NZ without a guide. I did last year, but I also hunted with a guide as well. You can even hunt in National Parks, at least one of them. You need a hunting license, but they are free. You get them at the forestry HQ in the town nearest your hunting area.

A fun hunt is to float down one of the rivers and shoot feral goats, etc. I am going to do that next time.

If you go on your own you will have to rent a car, and they drive on left. Just remember to put your body closest to the centerline and you will be okay.

You might be best off to hire a helicopter to take you out or a river boat. I used a helicopter to fly me and the mrs out 25 miles, then we walked back. I detest their use to land on the mountain and hunt. There is a reason they are illegal in the US...

I think that is about it. Kiwis are the friendliest bunch of folks you will ever meet.

Send me a PM and I can give more details if you want.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for yhe reply would a 7mm mag be a good all around gun to bring ? what about best time of year both weatherwise and game wise
thanks ed

Posts: 94 | Location: 22089red bluff lane lapwai id. | Registered: 05 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a 7mm Rem is plenty of gun. I used a .300 SAUM.

Go during the US spring, where it will be fall in NZ. Bring good quality rain gear. Capes on tahr are better in the fall, but you can hunt anytime of year and get a replacement cape if you want.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote