New
Find
Notify
Tools

For: Bad Ass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wal, I need some advice on a .45-120 I am thinking of buying.

If I end up getting the rifle it would be coming with me to Canada for a bison hunt this November.

I know you are pretty well versed in the black powder cartridge rounds, so tell me, is .45-120 the best way to go, considering that I may get a shot at a bison with it?

What about the 110 & 90 or the plain Jane .45-70?

I know that getting brass isn't going to be easy with any other than the .45-70 but I imagine that the brass will last quite a while with these BP rounds?

The barrel lengths availiable are 32" & 34" in the rifles they have ready to go, otherwise, for a shorter barrel I'd have to wait a few months, and I don't think there's time.

Apart from that I don't think I'd want a shorter barrel in a rifle I'm going to imagine will kick like a bastard mule.

Also, what kind of sights would ou recomend? Consider that where I will be hunting it will be covered in snow, and might take a bit of a beating.

Mate, any info you can offer is appreciated.

Regards,

Joe.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of his big bangers.

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Joe,

These mongrel cartridges will grab you by the balls and you will be hooked on the smell of black powder for the rest of your miserable life. I gave a young bloke a shot with my RB 45/70 last week and when, after the first shot rang the gong he looked at me fucken big grin and wanted more, more...

Having warned you what will happen, what to recommend as a cartridge for the one-gun hunter. The 45/70 is a proven performer and many bison have been taken with this old favourite. The problem is in the heavier bullet weights 500+gn. The little 2.1" case just doesn't have the room to seat a big projectile and a case full of powder.

My 45/120 at 3.25" is really over kill. It burns 112gn FFG with a 535gn bullet at 1360fps. The 45/70 pushes the same bullet at 1090fps with 62gn. Almost twice the amount of powder for 260fps. Add to that the difficulty of reloading, you need a long stroke press, & seperate trim die cos they won't fit into a case trimmer. The cartridge IS fun and impressive to look at but not for everyone.

The 45/90 2.4" or 45/100 2.6" (while I don't have one yet) seem to be the better choices as a hunting rifle. In a couple of months I'm having my 1874 Sharps rechambered to 45/100 2.6" so I can shoot the big 575gn bullets at 1350 fps for the Billy Dixon long range shoot next year.

For sights, can't beat the midrange creedmore rear and tunnel front (with post)combination. Just make sure the aperature hole is big enough to see through in poor light.

Try this site and click on to the trophy room.
http://www.shilohrifle.com/

Here is another on old buffalo hunting cartridges
http://www.chuckhawks.com/buffalo_cartridges.htm

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Not sure if you're actually planning to shoot these with BP or smokeless, but I think there are special regulations about flying with BP ammo. You might want to check this out and plan accordingly.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no shortage of Black Powder in Canada! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mate that's the tune on the Victoria Bitter add!

Brings a tear to my eye.

Thanks for the info, I am going to go have a look at the .45-120's they have ready to go, otherwise look around for a 90 or 100, or what about a .50-90? But I don't think it would be easy to find any of the afforementioned.

In the mean time I'll chase you up for some more info.

Loading the ,45-120 down? If you charge it with 62gn of FFG, will it still push that same slug to 1090fps as the .45-70 would?

What bullet weight would you reccomend using for something like a bison? the 535gn you mention sounds just a little heavy doesn't it? How about a 500 or 450gn?

Does a lighter bullet give you substantially flatter trajdectory or doesn't it matter much since these big bastrads all shoot like a rainbow anyways?

You mention a long stroke press to be able to handle the 120 cases, does than exclude me and my RCBS Rockchucker press? If that's the case(no pun) then I'd probably have to leave it be for the time being, cos I con't think I'll have the time to organize a new special press, or order a .45-90 and have it all oranized in time.

Consider that here at the end of July everything stops and resumes early Spetember(businesses) so they all on skeleton staff just to stay open, if you need anything, you might as well wait.

Good on ya for the help, it's been of great help.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Express, a buddy of mine had a 50-140 several years ago and all he did at home was reprime the brass. He dumped the powder in on site and pressed the bullet into place by hand . He never seemed to have any problems with accuracy and didn't use a press. Just an observation that I hoped might help. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote