Find
Notify
Tools

Australian Cricket
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I am posting this here as there is no forum for Cricket under the SPORTS section.

The ball tampering fiasco has really exploded and I am not trying to put the boot into my Aussie neighbours.

Where does one start?

1. It was cheating - plain & simple
2. It was premeditated & planned - which makes it worse
3. The coach saw the TV screen and sent a message by walkie-talkie to cover up the facts

Now all the outcry is boiling over.

The action taken so far is a bit mixed.

1. I think it was right to step down Smith & Warner.
2. Bancroft is the sad one but there was no other option
3. Allowing Darren Lehman to continue is NOT CORRECT. He knew what was going on & tried to cover it up.

NEXT STEPS

I hope they don't over react against the players. It is possible that Warner will lose his contract as he has a history of bad behaviour and his dynamics within the team is not good. Reports are out today that he is already marginalised by the team.

I think Sutherland's pontification is hypocritical.

Southerland has been boss since 2001. Since then the Aussie cricket team has been involved in many controverisies of bad behavious, "head butting the line" etc. Sutherland is responsible for this culture & it was just a matter of time.

If Aussie cricket is to recover its reputation and respect, Sutherland & Lehman should be replaced immediately. You cannot change the culture with the same leadership that developed this culture.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dang.
we don't get cricket here, other than the big bash league which I enjoyed immensely.
I really enjoyed the 20 end [wicket] format and it was nice to get to know some of the players before they went home to play for their respective country's.
[even if I had to stay up till 3am to catch the weekly game]

it sucks to hear that they are trying to cheat instead of coming up with way's to train the players better, especially with all of the talent I seen on the field earlier this year.

Posts: 4975 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's twice Aus has been caught cheating in 37 years, they're going to get a reputation.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree a message must be sent. The conspirators knew it was cheating and went ahead and did it.

Sack them !!!! Bringing the game into disrepute.

Fjold, If you are refering to the Chappell under arm bowling incident it was not cheating as it wasn't against the rules...............it was just piss poor sportsmanship as they denied the guy the chance to hit the six required to win the game..........if my recollection is correct.

All these idiot drug taking footballers should also be banned from the game......Bringing the game into disrepute. There's a bunch of 18 year old kids that will take their jobs.

Send the cricket, and football, criminals back to their day jobs. Perhaps a paypacket in the tens of thousands, instead of millions, will show them the error of their ways.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The issue is a lot deeper than just plain cheating.

Sutherland and Lehman were the architects of this culture in the team for a long time.

Lehman now says that the guys are young men and their health need to be looked after as they are hurting. But Lehman was the one who held a press conference and asked the crowds to pick on Steward Broad and send him home crying! Darren Lehman did not care about the young man and his health then!

Now Lehman says he needs to change! Fine. But how are you going to learn new mind sets, new values, new habits and at the same time coach a team in these new attitudes?

A new culture needs new leaders.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Of course the best thing that can bring about a change and it is now happening with the errant Oz cricketers and Cricket Australia is sponsors pulling out and demanding better standards.

Nowadays in professional sport sponsors can make or break the sport and they should be leading the charge in demanding better behaviour and accountability and don't just wait until something blows up as it has in South Africa. Problem is despite sponsors taking the moral high ground now that the issue is under the public spotlight, mostly they are quite happy with some of the behaviour as it creates news and their 'boys' provide a lot of publicity.
The quiet respectful cricketer is just going to slip under the radar and not bring a lot of publicity unless of course he is a such a standout player above the rest who gets the attention of the media.

Posts: 3857 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you only get attention with the Bat.
a good bowler gets mention of course, then he goes and stands off to the side for another hour waiting to bowl again.

but a Batter, he gets all the air time he can manage.
put up a hundred and make the papers, and the [I imagine] regular TV news.
throw 6 balls and give up zero points and you might get mentioned on a cable sports show.

Posts: 4975 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
We've come to the catharsis, Naki..., the boys are blubbering like babies. Time to engage with an exiting bat-'n-ball game like baseball - they don't cheat in that Smiler

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Mate

I am not putting the boot in. I really felt for Smith & Bancroft. I hope the ban is reduced and they come back in 3 months.

Today I watched Warner cry and I also feel for him, though I have little sympathy for him.

The issue is really deep. Since 2001 Sutherland has been CEO and encouraged the Ugly Aussie culture. He was spewing about the South African crowd behaviour while the Aussie crowed have been far more abusive of visiting teams for years. Sutherlands son was in the under 19 team this year and he was behaving like Warner!

Steve Waugh wrote a very self righteous article yesterday and has got ripped apart.

Waugh was the one who started this "mental disintegration" culture in the team. Now we have seen Steve Smith and other go through the same "mental disintegration". How come Waugh, Lehman, Hayden, Warne, Ponting etc. have not owned up to being the guys who were the key architects of this culture.

In the 2015 World cup the Aussies were spewing about how nice the Kiwis were and how sickening it was. Now Lehman want to play competitive hard but respectful cricket like the Kiwis!

If the Aussies want to really do that, first get rid of the bully boys Sutherland & Peever (BHP mining bully boy).

Hire a new coach like John Reid or Steven Flemming.

quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
We've come to the catharsis, Naki..., the boys are blubbering like babies. Time to engage with an exiting bat-'n-ball game like baseball - they don't cheat in that Smiler

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Waugh was the one who started this "mental disintegration" culture in the team.

And there is nothing wrong with psyching out your opponents.
Cassius/McEnroe,keep adding names at will!

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
C'mon Gryph - those guys are not repentant at being caught cheating - just at being caught at all.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The aussie cricket team has been crossing the line for a long time. Its been pretty hard to feel sorry for them and Im pretty happy this has come to a head.There has been an outstanding level of arrogance there the has needed knocking back.
That been said, for a game that holds itself up as gentlemanly and high on sporting conduct, It has a pretty foul culture. What the South africans did to Warner and especially his wife was intolerable and perhaps of any of the players involved in this episode, he had the most understandable reason for crossing the line. I have less sympathy for Smith who was the man who held the position to say cut this out, and Lehman who has fostered this attitude for some time.

Posts: 4240 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Sports cheating? Its all over,even at home lads.
I reiterate that I don't condone at all.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/...llegal-steroid-probe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I caught that press interview with him crying.
as an outsider I felt bad for the guy, but,,,
as I watched it impartially and really studied the guy's actions I felt less and les sorry for him as the interview went along.

I got the impression he was fighting for his job and employing some acting skills in the process.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Trevor Chappell is happy now he has lost his "most reviled player ever" position ?

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
And as far as the word 'reviled' muzza I reckon Lance has that title,he really did something wrong.

Or perhaps the disgusting heckling targeting the bloke using his own wife`s previous life as a means..is not that more of a crime than roughening the ball? Think about it,if the bloke next door scruffed your cricket ball or abused the shit out of your wife...How do you react to either?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Sorry Gryph - from this side of the Tasman Sea its simply Aussies on the receiving end instead of being the ones dishing it out . And obviously its not something they are enjoying

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
ha ha move on Muzz from the holier than thou..its rife in your back yard too.
I really do think more attention should be paid to another NZ hunter being shot dead whilst hunting over Easter weekend than a few Aussies boys playing with their balls.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/n...=1&objectid=12024576

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/r...20170621-gwv6ue.html

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/...-exengland-cricketer

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yes - very tragic . Would hate to be the one who tells his missus ....

I do Firearms Safety lectures for our Firearms Licence application system and this is one of those events that we stress repeatedly - positively identify your target - its rule number 4 of our 7 Safety Rules and the one that gets broken far too often - next to number 1 that is - "treat every firearm as loaded "...

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Gryph

You sound like one of the Aussie cricketers mate!

Foul mouthed continuous insulting in your face bullying is what the Aussie Cricket team has become notorious for.

But they cannot take it. Steve Waugh got annoyed when Ganguly got under his skin and frustrated him (no fould mouth abuse mind you). Mcgrath got all self righteous when Sarwan told him to ask his wife! Why - because Mcgrath asked Sarwan how Lara's c@$k tasted like.

Matthew Hayden always used to cros himself like a good catholic. But spewed absolute filth at players the whole day. Just read Graeme Smith's interview from 2002.

Hayden also tried to upset a guy who's sister died in a train accident by making noises like a train. How sick is that?

Aussie abusive sledging is just plain workplace bullying!

Ian Chappel called it right!

quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
And as far as the word 'reviled' muzza I reckon Lance has that title,he really did something wrong.

Or perhaps the disgusting heckling targeting the bloke using his own wife`s previous life as a means..is not that more of a crime than roughening the ball? Think about it,if the bloke next door scruffed your cricket ball or abused the shit out of your wife...How do you react to either?

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
You are totally out of line mate.

Please keep to the topic.

If you want to discuss hunting accidents, please start a new thread.

quote:
ha ha move on Muzz from the holier than thou..its rife in your back yard too.
I really do think more attention should be paid to another NZ hunter being shot dead whilst hunting over Easter weekend than a few Aussies boys playing with their balls.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/n...=1&objectid=12024576

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/r...20170621-gwv6ue.html

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/...-exengland-cricketer

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
PUll your head in sport!

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Settle down, you blokes. Remember, when it's all done, we're talking about a game that takes longer to play than any paint (that I know of) needs to dry and is for much of the time about as interesting. Smiler

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
All good here mate.

I am looking forward to India's visit to Oz later in the year. Will they win their first ever series away in Oz?

I hope the CA process reduces the ban and we see a really good contest with the best players.

I definitely do not want to see all the swearing and sledging though. Just some great cricket.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
All good here mate.

I am looking forward to India's visit to Oz later in the year. Will they win their first ever series away in Oz? NO

I hope the CA process reduces the ban and we see a really good contest with the best players. YES

I definitely do not want to see all the swearing and sledging though. Just some great cricket.
umming and aaahring

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
You are definitely an ugly Aussie Gryph ! Wink

quote:
quote:
All good here mate.

I am looking forward to India's visit to Oz later in the year. Will they win their first ever series away in Oz? NO

I hope the CA process reduces the ban and we see a really good contest with the best players. YES

umming and aaahring

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Jeeze just got off shift work and a fight's happening. Easy fella's.
I'll just leave this here Wink

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
OMG Did NZ cheat ? Shock horror,the worlds gonna end ffs!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/c...c81c40674c5f5fa7dc6d

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Oy Gryph

4mils higher seat, right.

Now how thick was the sandpaper mate?

How much leather did he take off the ball?

Who is going to be the new coach?

Can I apply? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who is going to be the new coach?

Big Grin

ME!

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sick and tired of hearing about the ball tampering incident to tell the truth. Its just cricket, they didn't sell secrets to the Russians for christ sake. Kick them in the arse, fine them and move of.

I started yelling at the radio the other day. Some dick came on and said he was devastated....really, devastated? Your devastated when you find out your child/wife/son/you has cancer. You don't get devastated because some over paid "Sportsman" cheats for fuck sake.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
what?

A sensible contribution?

Cut that out Bakes !!!

Apparently theres Commonwealth Games on at present too but I havent been following them either. Harder to cheat at that type of sport , maybe ....

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
what?

A sensible contribution?

Cut that out Bakes !!!

Apparently theres Commonwealth Games on at present too but I havent been following them either. Harder to cheat at that type of sport , maybe ....

Don't I know it Muzza. One of the reasons I'm working shift at the moment....I HATE night shift.

On another note the reds are roaring at the place I hunt on and a small herd of chital stags have been spotted. I looking at a hunt in early May. dancing

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Nice.

Bound for Argentina later in the year so not going too far from home at present , although the fallow bucks are rutting now. Bit warm for the reds but cant be far away

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
If the reds are going its time to be there now,not a month later.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Can't get away this month unfortunately. The COMM Games has screwed that up for me Big Grin.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Nice.

Bound for Argentina later in the year so not going too far from home at present , although the fallow bucks are rutting now. Bit warm for the reds but cant be far away

What are you after in Argentina?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
family holiday mostly , hopefully with some bird shooting and fishing as well.
Going on to South Carolina so hope to do some time in a deer stand in the salt marshes there too, even if its just with my camera

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Some bad boys in da swamp country muzz,gotta be real careful if you are a wantin` to remain pain free ha ha.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I will take my banjo deflector , Gryph , fear not . SC is reasonably civilised these days - they havent had a KKK rally or lynching for a couple of weeks now