New
Find
Notify
Tools

The world around us
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Has anybody been watching this crap? The latest show is about two blokes training two tigers to hunt so they can be released back into the wild....in AFRICA bewildered The adds say they want to save the species, wouldn't they be better off letting them go in India?

Perhaps there is a game farm that will be offering tiger hunts in Africa sofa

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
wouldn't they be better off letting them go in India?

Yes, my thoughts exactly! Makes you wonder what their true motive is - conservation or profit?

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Establishing them in the "wild" in South Africa might be safer for the species in the long run than in India.

Who knows?

Didn't see the programme. But I read something about this a few months ago. Some of these guys have had a lot of success in releasing tame lions and "re-training" them so are trying the same with Tigers.

Profit as a motive is OK too. Maybe we will soon be having net fights about "canned Tiger" hunting in South Africa. Wink

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Dose anyone other than me who thinks there might
be a reason tigers don't live there? I wonder if anyone ask the locals who farm what they think?Anyway, Nitro is probably right.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Indian tucker is way too HOT for tigers anyway. Makes you wonder if Pal puts special curry in the tins of dogfood over there roflmao

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
This show was on here tonight. Must have been on earlier in the NT.

I didn't find it too bad. Quite interesting actually.

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have seen that show !
Those tigers would be lot safer in Africa than in India nowadays. In India those could be poached in nick of time, or thrown to the Nat Park to tend for themselves, and they would die there anyway since born in captivity, not geared up for living in the bush.
If in Africa, local entrpreneurs will quickly smell the buck, start breeding them for the shot and in not too distant future the breeding program will be on a full swing. Some will be sold to safari industry, some will break loose and voila - we will have "feral tigers" roaming the veld. That would be an interesting outcome ! I imagine that with a trophy fee of some US 20K there will be no shortage of takers for "tiger safaris" As we all know, those "feral tigers" in Africa will immediately represent commercial value to breeders etc, while when thrown in Nat Park in India those will be worthless and of no interest to anyone. Having said that, I tend to support such idea of releasing endangering species in other than their native habitat, if they can survive in the new home. In the end of the day their numbers will grow ? Wouldn't they ?
Les
Terra Incognita Guides

Posts: 33 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I agree Nitro it was interesting with some good footage, I just can't see the point.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
As Les said, if they breed in India they can not be hunted. In South Africa they are introduced and if numbers build we may see a $100G Tiger hunt up for sale.

They wouldn't say this on a TV show meant for greenie TV viewers.

For conservation it would be a good idea to have viable semi-wild populations elsewhere in the world, in case they disappear from their home ranges.

John H.