Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meat Hunting?
 Login/Join

posted
What's the story today, with meat hunting. You know, like shooting pigs, donkeys, camets, roos or whatever to sell to processor or maybe a zoo or...? Does anyone still make a living at it?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are professional roo hunters, think they average about 1000 000 animals a year. Not all roo's go to the chiller, know a bloke that was shooting for skins only. It was something like 3% non head shot skins allowed any more and he would loose his licence.
There was and maybe still is a feral pig carcass export market.
The above is in NSW, the commercial use of game/natives in Victoria is illegal, unsure about the other states.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 416 ... I still dream about hunting for a living.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
There's a pig chiller in Katherine that operates in the dry season. They are paying $1 a Kilo. Heres the deal. You must have a tray that confirms to set standards. Stainless steel tray (cost $1000) with no corners, freash water on board etc. Head shots only and pigs must be at the chiller within the hour. Most guys catch them with dogs tie them up and take them to the chiller alive then kill them. At best the money you make will pay for fuel. And if the chiller goes tits up like he has before your $1000 out of pocket (you'll have a nice tray for your 4x4 though).

Camels are mustered and run through the meatworks or exported live.

Donkeys don't have enough meat on the to make it worth while so I've been told. 2 donkeys to make a horse, 2 horses to make a buff, may as well just shoot a buff.

Nick its a bloody hard life as a pro roo shooter. All night work, then you have to load the carcuss in the morning/reload/service the vehicle/repair any punctures/refuel/get some sleep then do it again. If you make it down under with the right enquiries I reckon you could set up a trip out with a pro shooter. Should be interesting.

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have one (pro roo shooter) on our team, he takes a client out every now and then. Hard yakka it is, loads his own ammo too. I guess there are easier ways to make a living.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My cousin who grew up in Ireland spent a gap year with a pro kangaroo shooter and also managed to shoot many pigs/dingoes/emu etc. It took him a while to get used to the sight of hundreds of carcasses after the cull (all of which need skinning!)

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It didn't figure to be easy ... just curious as to what was happening these days. Thanks for the education, mates. It still sounds better to me, than working in an office, a powerplant or a mineshaft. [Big Grin]

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
When we were hunting in NSW on the Southern Hemisphere Big Bore Boar Hunt this year we noticed a feral pig processor at Walgett. Every local lad had a spotlight and meat hooks and racks on his Landcruiser ute or traytop.

A lot of roos are culled without using the meat. The destruction permits do not permit the carcase to be removed from the property and the farm dogs can eat only so much. SA has a lot of these permits.

Some blokes also make an living from rabbit shooting, but a basic one.

Nick,

Lots of shooting, not hunting, and lots and lots of skinning and butchery.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Lots of shooting, not hunting, and lots and lots of skinning and butchery.
And to do that you need a quality knife like the Svord! Svord knives made in New Zealand with the finest steel are available....... [Big Grin]

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bakes, they sound Svell! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
Cripes Bakes!

Are you getting a commision from Svord or what? [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
No Choppa just thought I'd throw that in for Nickudu [Big Grin]