New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tramping in NZ- Incredible!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now I know this isn't hunting related, but I figure those that aren't from NZ might enjoy some pictures. This is the most beautiful place on earth. I just wish I was here for more than a semester.

Ready to leave the city and see the "real" New Zealand, some friends and I decided to leave Dunedin and head to Wanaka for a little tramp. We got there early evening, had dinner and drove to a campground for the night. The weather was perfect, so most of us slept outside under the stars.

Next day we returned to town and decided where we wanted to go for our hike and overnight. We settled on Mount Roy, the highest mountain in Wanaka. It sits just under a mile, and isn't a particulary tough climb. I offered to carry the 4 person tent, and you have to carry all the water you need. All told my pack was around 55-60LBS. I really wish I had made time for the gym over the past month...

Anyways the plan was to hike the almost 6 miles to the top, find a legal camping area, and spend the night.

Getting assembled at the bottom.

Even at the bottom, the views are pretty:

The goal: do you see the tiny white tower?

Surveying:

The views improve with every step:

Ridgerunning:

Keep trudging along despite the fact that its 80 degrees and there is no cloud cover. Side note, there is a whole in the ozone of NZ that makes it have some of the most intense sunlight on earth.

Get to the top and soak in God's incredible creations:

Note the glacier on the far mountain:

A video from the top:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix22TBr7is8

Move on and find a good spot to camp:

Four person tent, five people. Offer to sleep outside. Find yourself a nice place that will keep you out of the wind and hopefully keep you warm.

Dinner:

My buddies relaxing and staying warm:

Watch the sun start to fade:

The shadows come:

A fiery goodbye to a fantastic day:

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to get yourself off over into Fiordland Wink

Posts: 41 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brilliant photo's,looks like a beutiful spot.
How did you enjoy those Summer Ales?

Posts: 4240 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Brilliant photo's,looks like a beutiful spot.
How did you enjoy those Summer Ales?

I did, but I'm glad I'm not the idiot to carry them up though. Wink Cans would have been less weight.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loosecat:
You need to get yourself off over into Fiordland Wink

As soon as I get a car I expect to be making a LOT of trips. You get my PM?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. I've been in New Zealand for about 4 years now, and I think that Wanaka is my favorite place. I'm getting ready to head down that way over the Easter breaks to hunt tahr and chamois. Hopefully my pictures will be as good as yours (and contain dead animals).

Posts: 34 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did - PMed ya back.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote