Find
Notify
Tools

Australian barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
How many barrel makers do we have in Australia? I'm only aware of MAB and Sprinter, are there any others? In your experience who makes the best chrome-moly barrels?
Thanks...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Tobler, Maddco, Swan. Depends what you are lookin for.
I have a couple of rifles with MAB barrels (220Swift & 375)
and some Win 92's with Sprinter and all shoot well.
Most use CM steel inported from Japan and the only difference is the quality of barrel making.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con,

Tobler and Maddco for the higher grade barrels. I don't think Tobler is doing Chrome Moly, don't know about Maddco.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike and B.A.W,
Thanks for the response, does either have contact details for Maddco? I've decided to have a .25 put together, I assume Maddco makes them?
Thanks again...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Tobler normally only does stainless barrels, unless you really push the issue. Recently I gave Robert a Winchester 95 action and a chrome moly barrel blank to fit up in .30/40 Krag and he looked at me oddly but when I explained that he was the only gunsmith, I could find, with a .30/40 Krag reamer he agreed to do it.

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago there was a guy in Sydney making pistol barrels, Lissner(spelling) unsure if he is still in business.
A freind of mine put a Trueflite made in NZ barrel on his Weatherby 30-378 and is very happy with it's accuracy.
Both his and my 416's have Mab barrels fouled a lot when new better now, my freind is able to get better than an inch at 100, I've not yet benched mine.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote