Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting: green or just gets your goat?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
"Controlling pests should be part of a wildlife management plan, not a recreational pursuit."

WTF???
http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/hunting-green-or...9/1224351057029.html

What do the Australian members here think of the shooters party and game council???

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that link ok? The article wasn't available to me!!

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Link fixed

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
"Controlling pests should be part of a wildlife management plan, not a recreational pursuit."
What do the Australian members here think of the shooters party and game council???

As for controlling pests, greenpiece (stet)and other beatnicks can get a shooters license and go to it. (As long as they don't have any fun)

And if the gov. want to pay my costs, well I'll have a go too. Meanwhile, I'll shoot when and where I feel like it. (On private property)

The Shooters party has to be a good thing, I believe they have had some successes countering some bad legislation.

Know even less about the Game Council, but to me it smacks of gov. bureaucracy.
First I was told I would be un-australian if I didn't support it. (I have all I can handle on private property.)

Then your expected to make an appointment to go into the forrest, prob. check in and out, fill out reports, game shot, sighted, and its sex for all I know.

A friend went into it, got nothing, saw nothing, & a farmer directed him to all the ferals on his private property, living the high life on his crops. Shoot a sudden offering of a feral in a state forrest from the vehicle? No way. Take your "finding" doggy friend? No way. Discount on your costs? No way. My support? No way.
Have anything to do with Gov.? No way.

These are the sort of pricks that now won't let me shoot a feral deer on PRIVATE property (without a licence), as they now "belong" to the government. Friggen 'ell.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our two incumbent Shooters Party (TSP) MP's are the biggest positive thing that has happened to and firearms owners (in this state of NSW - and indirectly the rest of Australia) FOREVER!!

Where do I start...

Game Council... This was a TSP initiative - now we have a govt department totally dedicated to recreational hunters being used as a management tool for pest, feral and game animals. This has resulted in nearly three hundred portions of state forest being opened up to rec hunters... That in itself is HUGE... We had no public land hunting in this state prior to this.

On the agenda for 2009 for the Game Council is - roll-out of National Parks for rec hunting, taking over the commercial kangaroo industry and allowing rec hunting (tags), legalisation of game parks and much more.

The TSP itself has also been responsible for repealing some cray firearms laws and egulations and introducing some other great legislation - Home Invasion Bill, etc - see the TSP website for full history.

Any hunter or firearms owner who doesnt see the benefit of the TSP and Game Council just isnt looking hard enough!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
[QUOTE](I have all I can handle on private property.)

Then why moan about others getting access to public land.... ?????

Are you telling me you cant afford to pay a measly amount every year for a game licence - to support a department that is securing your hunting future in NSW????
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Game Council needs the support of ALL hunters - buy a G-Licence or an R-Licence - stand up and be counted and share in the OWNERSHIP of recreational hunting in NSW.

The Game Council was established by and is run by fellow hunters - not fricken greenies!!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Then why moan about others getting access to public land.... ?????

So where was I doing this. You all are welcome to hop to it. The question was asked re. opinions, I have mine.

quote:

Are you telling me you cant afford to pay a measly amount every year for a game licence - to support a department that is securing your hunting future in NSW????

You make me laugh. Do you work for them??
I've been shooting for about 50 years. I've supplied my own private shooting areas, as we had to. Paid taxes on all guns,ammo,scopes, vehicles, fuel, etc.etc. Then also paid for the new Shooters licence, permission to purchace forms, many other costs,like traveling to get firearms transfered etc. etc.

Now you want me to pay another fee to shoot a farmers problem on his land. If I dropped a deer eating his crop I'd likely thrown in jail.
Nice. This jocker is already supplying feed for many hundreds of roos which are of course protected.

So when I'm sixty five and in doddgy health you want me to pay a fee to shoot in a state forest where I must jump thru hoops and walk everywhere without my dog/companion.

quote:

The Game Council needs the support of ALL hunters - buy a G-Licence or an R-Licence - stand up and be counted and share in the OWNERSHIP of recreational hunting in NSW.

You own nothing. I don't recreational hunt. You do what you want.

quote:

The Game Council was established by and is run by fellow hunters - not fricken greenies!!!

You sound like the Gov. PAID dork ranger who insulted me for not falling over myself to sign up. Yeay, if I was getting paid I might get enthusiastic to, but I'm just about paid out. thumbdown

Personally, I don't go to National parks, State forrests, flag waving rallies, or walks for conciliation. But I've been shooting pests since about 1958 without the game council or their fanatics, and I've paid dearly for it.

John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well maybe you are posting in the wrong forum mate - if you look at the heading its called Australian and New Zealand HUNTING. If its just pest destruction you are interested in maybe you can post your comments in a Greens forum??

You sound pretty down-on-the-world JAL? That is sad.

The Game Council is benefiting hunters...full stop. No I dont work for them but I will back any organisation that improves the lot of my fellow hunters and firearms owners.

You can please yourself...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, tipical Aussie boofhead.

Wants to tell me what to join, what to shoot and how, where to post, and after all that then tells me I can please myself.

Such logic. Now why didn't you just comment on the Game Council in the first place?

And seeing you are confussed or stupid, most pest destruction is done by HUNTING.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You ARE free to do whatever pest destruction you like... and Im not telling you what to do. Perhaps it's better that someone like you DO NOT apply for an R-Licence.

but why shouldnt I question your comments that are clearly incorrect - comments on a topic that you admit that you know very little about?? Why run down an organisation that is there to provide opportunities to hunters?? Why not just keep your uninformed opinions to yourself??

You said in a previous post that you dont hunt for recreation.... I think it is you who is confused. Your posts are clearly contradictory..

Sorry your thread is being spoilt TP... perhaps some others could provide some constructive, informed comments.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well TP, IMHO the Game Council has really turned things around for those poor unfortunates who live in NSW. Who could have imagined hunting on crown land, state forests, or even the possibility of a duck season again?
The Game Council has made it happen, and for that reason if no other, they have my support.

In the interests of full disclosure, I do administer the 'R' license test to hunters here in Vic, so that they can legally hunt across the river, so some might argue bias.
I'll tell you this. I wouldn't do it, if I didn't think it was worthwhile.

JMHO.

Personally, I tend to agree with Matt on this subject.
If people, through fortunate circumstance, don't NEED this resource, fine. Good on them.

Thousands of hunters DO need this resource, and are grateful that it exists at all.
Kudos to the Shooters Party and the Game Council.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of land to hunt on . In fact more than I have time to hunt . Would I like to see a W.A. equivalent of the Game Council which would allow access to crown land ? You bet !

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but why shouldnt I question your comments that are clearly incorrect - comments on a topic that you admit that you know very little about?? Why run down an organisation that is there to provide opportunities to hunters?? Why not just keep your uninformed opinions to yourself??

Well now matt. Your first post was good. Another view. But then you decided to hoe into me personally because I don't want to pay for something I can't really use, and don't want to use, which you have said above that even just firearm owners should support.
Well I could say the same to you. Are you in every facet of shooting, Clay target Full bore etc. Don't they deserve support???

Then you have the cheek to try to censor me.

So show us (with direct quotes) just exactly where what I said about the disadvantages of State forrest shooting over HUNTING on private property.(or pest destruction or hunting pests whatever you fancy), was incorrect.

And even if you could, the original poster asked for opinions didn't he.???????

quote:

You said in a previous post that you dont hunt for recreation....

Well my defination of recreation may be different than yours but that's my business.
I've been shooting all my life, popguns,(hunting flies at about 3yrs old) airguns, eventually .303 (which I used to get the first stag I'd seen in my life).

I think walking in the bush with a rifle is more like a way of life. I've never had to gather with the boys and the beers and go out on a weekend.

I have a right to shoot on private property, and even a responsibility, up to my limits, If that's alright with you Mat.??

So, i've managed without State forrests until now which the Gov decided to keep locked up, and now I'm supposed to PERSONALLY supposed to get excided about it being opened?? Now why should I clutter them up for those who need them????

quote:

Sorry your thread is being spoilt TP... perhaps some others could provide some constructive, informed comments.

But what if they don't happen to fit your grandiose flights of fantasy. Um yes tp I was hopping for some truthfull info, good or bad. You know, something like actual experences and not blithering propaganda.
John L.

posted Hide Post
The shooters party has given firearms enthusiasts a voice in government & the advent of the game council is an example of its work. Whilst the game council has not benefited all shooters, it has opened up a lot of areas that were previously closed to hunters.Although I live in NSW, I have had to have a rec license for hunting Sambar in Victoria for the last 15 years.Although most of my hunting is on a mates 2,000 acre cattle property, I have every couple of years hunted fallow in different districts.I decided 12 months ago to get my R license, but have yet to use it. I have met people that have hunted game council forests successfully for fallow, reds, & sambar.I still note that farmers are exempt from the game council regulations re-deer culling.

Posts: 24 | Location: australia | Registered: 07 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree with Matt in that looking to the future we have to legitimise hunting as our sport is hanging in the balance with politians having the final say. Hopefully as attitudes change to hunting, the game council will be able to grow game numbers on public land (similar to managment plans on private lands) to a sustainable level to allow more of the public to take up hunting. It would be great to have some deer ballots to satisfy my addiction.

PS get your girlfriends and wives involved that way hunting will become acceptable again.

Posts: 10 | Location: australia | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oscarhans:
I agree with Matt in that looking to the future we have to legitimise hunting as our sport is hanging in the balance with politians having the final say.

Oscarhans, I hope you don't mind me using your post, just as an example and for me to keep my mind on track, as it tends to wander with age. Smiler

OK we are still getting what sounds to me to be pie in the sky motherhood statements. Now most people won't have a bar of hunting, and whether we do it in a State forrest or not makes no difference. The only benifit we will get with the public is the destruction of serious pests.
IMHO, that is. Smiler

quote:

Hopefully as attitudes change to hunting,

Is this really a forgone conclusion just because of the Game Council or State forrest hunting? Lets keep real here. This isn't a wish list thread. If I'm wrong about the benifits of the Game Council and State forrests for the Majority of shooters, just give me the FACTS.

quote:

the game council will be able to grow game numbers on public land (similar to managment plans on private lands) to a sustainable level to allow more of the public to take up hunting.

WHOA. Someone tell me I'm wrong please. I thought deer were a declared feral pest to Australian lands, not withstanding the fact the Gov. has decided to call them "Game", for the benifit of selling them to us. If so, why would they allow an increase of population????

I also think the Gov. want more GAME hunting like they want a hole in their head.
I thought the main thrust of it all was to deminish imported pests on all property, and they are now using shooters in State forrests, but not for our benifit.

After the new firearms laws I don't see how you can think "they" want more guns in the community.

quote:

PS get your girlfriends and wives involved that way hunting will become acceptable again.

Now fair go mate. We are having trouble getting keen young lads interested in shooting, what with the costs and rigmarole involved, and other reasons. Didn't we use to get free ammo for the range once? Now it costs a lad what? over 20 bucks for 20 rounds?

And the wives and girlfriends all on top. Yeah right. Tell them they can now shoot in a pile of bush called a State forrest. Gee we won't be able to hold 'em back.

OK, I asked my mate about his State forrest hunting. The good news first. IF, you had nowhere to shoot before, and if you have the internet, and if you know in advance, it is aparently easy to get a "booking" and a "permit"
(whatever) and on the appointed day/s, off you go.

This is AFTER you get your licence. (NO not your shooters licence, your special State forest licence.)
Then it is also easer than I thought to book out again. Even the game seen/shot form is just ticking the boxes on the internet. I was right about the sex, on deer anyway. Smiler

Now the not so good news. I asked him (in my area) whether he would drive the 15 k up the mountain, and turn left into the private property, or turn right into the forest again.

Private property he says. Why I asks. Bugger all in the forest he reckons. They come out of there onto the improved areas. Well what ever the truth , depending on the areas, but here the deer prefer the crops. Same with pigs etc.
He has tried 3 seperate areas around NE NSW.

Then he said you put your entry permit on show in your car while hunting, so any ranger can see it. And no other hunter group is allowed within cooee, even though they have to have the funny orange heads on.

OK, BUT, ANY AMOUNT of the public have the right to be there, no notice, no ticket, no nothing. Some may not have an orange head, some may want to trash your "hunting persons vehicle", whatever. So, some ferals have shoes, but are protected. bugger.

By turning left, I don't get beatnicks, police, rangers, tourists, whatever, just more pests to hunt.

Please anyone tell me where I'm wrong? But don't fantasize about hunters heaven without dying first. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's great you've been doing some research JAL!! clap Keep up the good work and maybe one day you will be able to post some fully informed comments...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL.

Please anyone tell me where I'm wrong? But don't fantasize about hunters heaven without dying first. Roll Eyes

You just don't seem to get it, do you?

Not everyone in your state has the option of 'turning left', do they? Most people have to 'turn right' or NOT go hunting at all.

The Game Council is aimed at making hunting MORE accessible to those who don't have your access to private game farms...

Please feel free to comment when you have something to say that doesn't revolve around you having better hunting access than everyone else.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

WTF???
http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/hunting-green-or...9/1224351057029.html

Well, JAL has his own opinions and experiences... however in general they aren't relevant to the topic... and I've also been hunting since about 1958...

TSP and the Game council have done a great service to shooters in NSW by opening up land that was previously 'off limits' to hunters.

For many city based people, gaining access to private land is both time consuming and prohibitively expensive in terms of fuel costs and so on.. opening up State Forests is a great move forward, and given the minor imposition of recording basic details, can provide a compelling argument for the role of hunters in reducing feral animal impacts.

Having access to privately owned land is great, and I also have that privilege in some areas... however things change, and that access can be denied in a heartbeat.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RugerUser, G'day. The Gov land hunting privilages can disappear just as quick.
Imagin the greens and like minded pollies, IF someone accidently shoots a tourist in a state forrest. And you, even you won't come up and shoot my .458. I could send you an E-mail of me popping a pumpkin if I had your address.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's great you've been doing some research JAL!! clap Keep up the good work and maybe one day you will be able to post some fully informed comments...

Dear Matt, Your right as usual. I was sitting on the toot just yesterday morning, and thought there might be something in this.

In my dottering old age, and having a gut full of Gov/police/beatnicks/do gooders etc interfering in my business and shooting hobbies, I had promised myself to have as little to do with them as possible. And the Game Council web-site smacks of gov control.

But the hoops to jump through I mentioned now seem reasonable, just an oral and written test, book in in advance (apparently no gread line up up here) tick some squares and book out and basicly you are on your own to wander around.
So much so probably no one will come looking for you if you don't book out smartly. (In other words, no big brother looking over your shoulder.

But, it still doesn't suit me. I won't go without my mutt. Apparently I was a bit wrong there too. You can take a dog if you fit a tracking device. Yeah, they find the dog but not me. Smiler

But look at it this way, any publicity is good publicity, all discussion ads to the knowledge pool. You fellas, I've had to drag you kicking and screaming to discuss it passed "yeah it's the best thing since sliced bread." Yeah, very informative. Yep, I've nearly convinced myself by myself.

And don't forget, every post I drag out of you Matt, you get your add placed at the bottom.
The costs of a big colour ad in a National Mag must be horrendus.

Now don't get me wrong. I like shooting ads. & believe them to be a public service.
The best thing in the SSAA mag is the ads.

So how about SOMEONE give us a blow by blow on their experences from brochure to home again.
Better than sniping at me. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
You just don't seem to get it, do you?

Not everyone in your state has the option of 'turning left', do they? Most people have to 'turn right' or NOT go hunting at all.

The Game Council is aimed at making hunting MORE accessible to those who don't have your access to private game farms...

Well, what I get is for all of us up to now, have had to get off our arses and visit landowners and ask permission to shoot. Many don't want their drought weak stock disturbed but many want some pests thinned out. Now some elitest deer shooters may not call vermin/pest/feral pigs for instance "game", but many do.

As I've mentioned before I think, I don't do "game" anymore. This cockie here want's me to "hunt" foxes,dingo's,& pigs. He is not too worried about rabbits, not many cats around, deer are fenced out mostly. So, if he saw me turn right away from his "game farm" LOL , he'd probably kick me off his place, and rightly so. So, in my opinion (if that's alright,) the pests in State forests are not my concern, but it's a free country, and no where have I advocated that anyone who wants to shouldn't get a few more licences and go at it.

{QUOTE]
Please feel free to comment when you have something to say that doesn't revolve around you having better hunting access than everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Geeze, another moderator. So If I don't want to get involved I'm a PITA, and on top of that I should get both the licences to prop up the system for all and ony others. And no desenting views alowed? Tell me YOU don't get it yet??

PS. "My" area is NOT a closed shop. Anyone that wants to cull roos legally, I'll put you in touch with the owner. NO dickheads need apply. Smiler Well that thins it out. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, not another moderator.
Just waiting for you to offer some form of informed comment.

Something other than slagging off the Game Council, and generally whining about license fees...
If you don't like it, don't join.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The best thing in the SSAA mag is the ads.

Isn't the ONLY thing left in that mag the ads? rotflmo

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAL

Why dont you go over to one of the dedicated Aussie hunting sites like AHN or Aushunt and ask the same question. Plenty of State Forest reports both good and bad.

National Parks in NSW are on the agenda for next year and that will open up a whole new deal... lots of game and pests...lots of NP's. Ive got some up my way that I am waiting for!!! Great hunting...

JAL - I dont really care how many times my sig line comes up. If people want to hunt with me they will...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RugerUser, G'day. The Gov land hunting privilages can disappear just as quick.
Imagin the greens and like minded pollies, IF someone accidently shoots a tourist in a state forrest. And you, even you won't come up and shoot my .458. I could send you an E-mail of me popping a pumpkin if I had your address.

JAL, I'm not quite sure of your point... especially when you talk about shooting your 458? I can shoot one anytime I like. Wink (Well, not in the city..)

As to popping pumpkins.. if it makes you feel better, send it to me at corporate.feral@gmail.com if your email is sent from a valid server, I'll get it...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Whew...this has been quite a topic gents. May I suggest we give the personal attacks a break OR you're free to take them private of course.

At this stage of the thread I've forgotten what the origional topic was about Wink

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've got it Bakes. Any reasonable person only has to look at the first few posts, opinions were requested, and when MY opinion wasn't quite in line with the pack, well reasoned arguements COULD have been advanced, for the education off all, but. . .

Well it happenes everywhere, but unfortunatley the Aussie forum is IMHO the worst, so for the second time, I'm off.

RugerUser, Short memory???? You once asked me where I lived and said you come up here now and then. We arranged to meet. I bought a .458.
I could have said drop in for a beer, you can get them anyware too so I guess that's out, so don't bother now.
Talk about a picky bunch. Gheese. Bye now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear violins...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
"It is in the interests of these hunters to have plenty of potential game animals available in the hunting parks, so the idea that they are eradicating pests does not stack up," says a Greens MP, Lee Rhiannon. "Controlling pests should be part of a wildlife management plan, not a recreational pursuit."

The full quotation is listed above.

Usual anti-hunting Greens rubbish.

Controlling pests AND recreational hunting ARE both objectives andlegitimate.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote