Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted
Can any of you fellows give me some real basic advice on buffalo and/or ferral cattle hunting in Australia.

What month to schedule a trip, and where?

What range can I expect to shoot?

I have a 375 with 4 X scope and 450 Dakota with 3 X.

Is it possible to shoot several bulls on one trip?

Typical number of days to hunt and price?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Andy

A typical NT water buffalo hunt is for about five days plus usually a couple travelling days.

The price you can expect is about US$6,500 to US$10,000 including one buffalo trophy fee, which is about $2000.

Often pigs can be hunted inclusive but a trophy fee may be payable as well per pig.

Scrub bulls MAY also be able to be hunted with a trophy fee of around $500 each. However scrub bulls may not be available in the Arnhemland buffalo areas.

Great fishing is also possble.

Check with the outfitters you consider as the prices and what is and isn't included varies a bit.

I know there is a VERY good value buffalo hunt going on in Arnhemland from 1 August to 7 August with a place or two still available with a high reputation for excellent trophies. I'm hunting that week. If you can drop everything come and join me!

I've sent you a PM with a link for scrub bulls in Far Nort Queensland. Allan Moon gives very good value scrub bull, wild pig and fishing trips. It is an easy flight from Darwin or Gove to Cairns.

Best times for hunting anywhere are the dry season - mid-May to say Octber or early Nov - with July, Aug, Sept being cooler months. The later dry season means game will be concentrated around the water more but it will be hotter and moe humid towards the end. The local boys on here can comment on the weather better as they experience it every day!

Your rifles sound eminently suitable.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote