THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    The New Zealand Government is Slaughtering Tahr???

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New Zealand Government is Slaughtering Tahr???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
Himalayan Tahr being on my "Boy, I'd sure like to hunt THOSE someday!" list, it sure got my attention this morning, when I was having my morning coffee and watching whatever hunting show was on The Outdoor Channel, that... Larry Weishuhn and a few guys were hunting in New Zealand and, among other animals, going for Tahr.

Well, there was some guy from Game and Forest saying how the government was just flying around shooting these critters for no other reason than bowing to the "ecology extremists" or some such thing, because Himalayan Tahr aren't native to New Zealand. Incredible! These animals are just beautiful, especially with their winter coat! Hell, they're up in the mountains, not bothering anyone... what's the deal with the government killing them?

Now, all I know about this is from this one report and, for all I know, Game and Forest is just trying to rake in bucks or something. Still, it got my attention and I wanted to find out more about the situation.

Thanks for any input you folks can provide.

Take care.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm...I would say that the Tahr might need population control, since they have no natural predators in NZ, and much better range than their native lands.

Just my guess, but you certainly can't dismiss the possibility of the Kiwis being pushed around by some ecological wackos.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the gov'ment does kill them. You can charter a helicopter and shoot them right from the bird if you want. Sickening.

Larry W. on a tahr hunt? I think he uses a cane to get around...did he use a chopper on the show?

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry I only saw (by the time I turned on the tube) shoot a stag. Frankly, it was a damn good shot. Quite some distance, one shot to the neck, must have hit the spinal cord, dropped like a rock. Might have been luck, I don't know, but it still looked great on film. Probably missed his heart shot for all I know. He had two guys with him and he shot over sticks.

It was some other guy, whose name escapes me (if I even heard it) who shot the Tahr. He used a chopper to get up into the mountains.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
The mountains in NZ aren't that hard to walk up and down. Certainly no harder than a sheep hunt in Alaska.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
According to Africa Geographic, they're going to eradicate all the Tahr in South Africa that are on TableTop Mt. too.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really fail to understand why any country in Africa would eliminate a cash crop like that, when most every country on that continent needs bucks.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
How gregarious are the Tahr as a species? How many kids do they have per year, how long does it take a male or female to reach maturity, etc?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Will add my 10c as I know a little bit about them.

Tahr were introduced around 1905 for sporting purpose, released in the Mt Cook region (Centre of the Southern Alps.) and have over 100 years spread from there.
They live at high altitudes and prefer steep terrain with cliffs and rocks to hide in.
The main mob (Females, Juveniles and young males) live as a group all year round, and tend to colonise and feed in an area until disturbed. They have distinct daily patterns of movement.
The Mature males (Bulls) either live solitary or in batchelor groups for most of the year, apart from the rut (April-July) when they join the main group.
You guys are absolutely correct, our government has a policy of total eradication in order to protect supposedly rare plant species, in particular a species of Giant Buttercup (Mt Cook Lilly)
There is an estimated population of around 10,000 Tahr free ranging in the Southern Alps (this has been as high as 60,000 in the past.)and approximately a 1,000 held on private land.
Our governments main control strategy is to aerial hunt using helcoptor gunships.
All who are familiar with Tahr population demographics will agree that some form of control is necessary,
(Left unchecked they have a potential exponential population growth rate of around 39%. Fecundity rate is reasonably high 50% and mortality rate is reasonably low 13% Potentially the herd can double every two years.)
However our problem (As guides & hunters) is the indiscriminate method of control. i.e. The entire population is targeted, including very valuable mature bulls.
There are some managed culls happening in conjunction with SCI and NZDA however these are far and few between, and only in areas selected by Government.
Eradication is an unrealistic management strategy over the whole the area that has been colonised.
I am a strong advocate of eradication in areas of strategic importance and difficult recreational hunting access, and a managed population, allowing annual sustainable harvest in other areas.
Hunting is becoming a very significant export earner for NZ.
(Currently rolled in with tourism in government statistical data. Tourism being the biggestexport earning sector for NZ i.e. it has surpassed Agriculture in 2003/2004.)
So why not start treating Tahr as a resource rather than a pest.
It is interesting that in a 2003 survey of wilderness area users, only 8% of respondents viewed Tahr/Deer as a pest with 80%+ saying that sighting these animals enhanced their wilderness experience.
They are an awesome animal to hunt, due primarily to the terrain they inhabit and the large attractive manes of mature Bulls.
Contrary to government press that the Alps are crawling with them, it is reasonably hard to find a Tahr unless you are knowlegeable on their whereabouts.
I hunt them most weeks between March and August and occasionally in spring and summer.
This week we've shot four Tahr, 3 mature bulls and one female.
We always encourage hunters to take additional females for reasons outlined above.
There are a range of hunting methods, the main difference being mode of access.
i.e. Hunt on foot with 4WD access.
Heli access into areas of high population density, then hunt on foot.
Spot drop and stalk with helicoptor. Shoot from helicoptor.
There is something to suit all levels of fitness and timeframes.
I personally prefer to hunt Tahr the hard way, foot access, but have no problem with others doing it differently, depending on their physical capability or time constraint.
We've been harvesting between 35-50 Tahr a year, which I guess equates to about .5% of the total population.

If you have any questions on Tahr or would like information on hunting them, feel free to e-mail me.

(If someone can explain to me how to attach photos, I can put a few shots on the thread.)

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TrackersNZ you have mail

Posts: 30 | Location: close | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure appreciate the detailed response. I've always wanted to hunt them. As with everything, it's only a matter of money.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
hello and I had a wonderful hike-up hunt for tahr last fall. still wondering if anyone eats the tahr? our try was a bit chewy...

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote