Find
Notify
Tools

Please show me your Himalayan Tahr!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
I don't know if I'll ever make it, but I'd love to hunt Himalayan Tahr in the Southern Alps of New Zealand. I think they are BEAUTIFUL animals!!! If any of you have taken some nice ones, please post their pictures.

If I ever got one, I'd do a full-body mount.

(I mentioned this to some friends here in Iraq and, well... they, not being hunters, took "full-body mount" a different way. Sickos.)

Thanks.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Russ mate

Check out this thread from Hunt Reports - World. Fernando has posted a couple of pics of very nice tahr.

http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=45;t=000155;p=2

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Real pretty tahr he took. Also liked the billy. I hope to hunt billies someday; I'd love to do sheep, but Mr. O'Connor drove the price out of my meager range. Goats are worthy animals, though. I read Craig Boddington's report on goats recently, and sure would like to go for the markhur and some others someday... after I win the lottery, of course. (I send my Mom fifty bucks every two weeks just to buy lottery tickets, beside the other money I send them to take care of things while I'm gone. It sure would be nice to come home from Iraq, alive AND in one piece... "rich." Boy, would I go huntin' THEN!!!)

Thanks for the thread with the tahr pictures. Sure is a pretty animal, the Himalayan Tahr.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hope you make it one day Russ, Thar are magnificent animals in equally magnificent surroundings. A great challenge to hunt. I've shot one or two, nothing worth mounting but still a great achievement of having got amongst them. Greatest expense is airfare. Acoomodation is cheap and most kiwi hunters are happy to take someone out for a look provided they split diesel and food costs, but of course the money paid to a guide will offer a better percentage of securing a trophy.

Posts: 7 | Location: Canterbury, New Zealand | Registered: 01 November 2003Reply With Quote