Notify
Tools

Hog Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of choppa
posted
Any body keen on hunting Hog Deer?

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I've thought of putting my name in the hog deer ballot. I saw the forms in a gun mag. Is there a web site I can check out?

Bakes

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I love hunting hog deer.

I have also been lucky to have been drawn twice for the ballots in Gippsland, and even luckier to take a nice 11 inch plus Hog Deer stag on one of them.

Thanks for the reminder, the ballot is being run again right now and if it isn't too late already must get an entry in. Worth doing Bakes even if it is a long way for you to go.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
Guys,
I have the access and the local knowledge of some of the best Hog Deer habitat in Australia, what do you reckon about guided hunts for Hog Deer, would people be keen?
I noticed in G&A that Craig Boddington has been down here lately hunting hoggie's
What do you fella's reckon?

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Choppa
I'm looking for a place to go next year. I get about $1200 for travel to anywhere I want to go in Australia, I thought about sambar with Errol Mason. If your thinking of setting something up I'd be interested. What are you looking at price wise?

Bakes

[ 10-22-2003, 04:45: Message edited by: Bakes ]

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Choppa

I would also be interested. Email or PM me details. Thanks.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Please post your photos...........

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
People,

Tell me what you would like as far a guided hunt goes, what lenght of time, and what would you consider a appropiate amount,remembering that we only have the month of April, the hunting area involved is very thick scrub, a long shot in this terrain would be 70 metres, I have been as close to a Hog Deer as 4 metres, (in super super stealth mode), off course I cannot "garantee" an animal, I grew up in this area and know it better than anyone, I have never guided before, but I reckon I could do a good job, my main consideration, would be that you would be completely satisfied. [Smile]

Aspen Hill Adventures

Unfortunately I do not have a camera, would you consider a nice charcoal sketch on a scrap bit of paper [Big Grin]
What sort of photo's would you like to see?

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Choppa
I've had no experience in guided hunts of any kind and wouldn't know were to start price wise. The bloke I was thinking of hunting sambar with, charges $80 a day and the hunter looks after his own food/drinks. The hunter stays in his cabin in the bush somewhere! Will you be offering accomodation/food? Whats the closest airport to you? Caping serivces (for blokes like me )Is the hunting area on private land, trophy fee? (does the hunter need tags?)
Just a few questions mate [Big Grin]

Bakes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Choppa
Sentosa near Longford offer behind wire hunts think hog deer 7500AUD for 11"

I have hunted a few myself (not at Sentosa), a few of the memorable, 50cal muzzle loader - hind
with a bow 82 and something douglas also 2yrs ago 105 1/2 with bow. this year hind with a crossbow and small stag with my 416sw

Aspen Hill

will post pics when I get imagestation to work

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
since i do not hunt in Australia and cannot understand the New Zealand accent, would one of you guys post a picture of a "hog deer"......i can understand a picture...maybe.... [Smile]

thanks from the yanks...........

[ 10-23-2003, 22:01: Message edited by: bill smith ]

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
Fella's

Here is a link to the Gippsland Deer Stalkers Association, go to Photo's and gallery three

http://www.gippsland.net.au/gdsa/main/GDSA.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
choppa: i appreciate your response, but i cannot get the link to work. i did a search on the Gippsland Deer Stalkers Association and got a whole bunch of links, none of which worked... [Confused] maybe these Hog Deer are supposed to be an Australian secret...... [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I just tried the link and had no problem. Took no more than a few seconds to load the page with my broadband conection.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i came home and tried it on my computer. i am able to get the pages to start up at home, but not at work. i guess i oughta be working while at work anyway, huh.......hmmmmmmmm.

anyway, i saw the hog deer. i can't believe you brutes would injure such a cuddly lookin critter......... [Smile] . here in Oklahoma we have a similar beast known as a jackelope. quite a little range monster.....small, but worthy of respect if wounded and cornered. some information about the Oklahoma jackelope can be found at the link i have enclosed.

http://www.bloomington.k12.mn.us/distinfo/technology/ConTech/BLOOMING/jackelope.htm

[ 10-28-2003, 00:13: Message edited by: bill smith ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally the pics I said I would post.
also Bill some alopes I've hunted successfully

-
jackalope or in Aus it's a harealope
 -
my 2002 hog deer stag taken with a bow 105 4/8 douglas points
 -
rabbitalope
 -
hog deer probably 3-4 years old
 -
my trophy wall, fellow is not mine, the 105 4/8 is the one on the right
 -
carpalope

[ 10-30-2003, 02:23: Message edited by: 416SW ]

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hmmmmmmmmm... i had no idea that Australia had so many exotic species. truly a hunter's paradise. plus.....you guys have good beer..... [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakesey ..told ya you can come down and have a sambar hunt with me!

Posts: 87 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
416 SW:

Your photos just go to prove you Aussies are some of the best people on the planet. Love your guys sense of humor down there, especially loved the carpalope.

Cheers,

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416SW:

-
carpalope

you should be ashamed to take the carpalope onthe left. It is immature and still hasn't its first head. [Mad]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Gryph
Yeah I know mate ....just looking at the options thats all [Wink] When are you heading down to Vic next?

Bakes