New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott brass in Aust where?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know where 458 Lott brass is available in Australia?
Have tried

Horsley Park
Rebel
Clayton Trigger
Gold Coast Shooters
Western Firearms

Most said what is 458Lott
Sent message to Hornady to ask who might have it in Aust or who there agent/distributor is but no reply.
Hornady list them at $31.61USD per 50
I don't want to use Bertram brass.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
416SW--you might want to try --MIDWAY or GRAF AND SONS out of missouri. if you have no luck --contact me and maybe i can at least give you phone # or e-mail

cdhunt@blazenet.net

pennsylvania, usa

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim Schaeffer at McDonalds Guns has Hornady basic brass for the full length H&H cartridges and that is very easy to convert. His number is 9687 1680.
Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
2 canoes but I wanted someone in Aust as I would need a import permit to bring brass in.

Thanks Mark will give him a try.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give frank o'rielly's a go in Melbourne, high st thornbury.
ph 03 94803186
cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I used to form 458 Lott from 375H&H. Expand to .400 in 38/40 pistol die, expand to .425 in 404 Jeffery, then to .458 in 458Win Mag die. Seat a 405gn Remingtom projectile and fireform to 458 Lott.

I think I only ever lost 1 case to splitting. I have heard of some clown simply firing 375H&H in the chamber but never tried it. (Aparantly no prob as case headspaces on the belt!)

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
I tried McDon's and he may have some soon.

338win
has O'rielly's changed cause they were never very fond of answering the phone, have been in there(this is going back a few years) and the phone would ring and no one would answer it.

BAW
I know you can fireform it from 375h and 8mmrem but I thought since there are current production guns in it and hornady make the brass and sell it cheaper than their other rifle brass (243, 308win, 300win) that it would be nice to have the correct head stamp, and not have to form it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mark
338win
has O'rielly's changed cause they were never very fond of answering the phone, have been in there(this is going back a few years) and the phone would ring and no one would answer it.

No. That's the way they are. If someone is spare, the phone gets answered, but if they are all serving, they let it ring out. Just pick a time of day when you don't think there would be many in the shop.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try ringing early am during the week, this is the quiet time, usually.

cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady basic magnum brass is available from any gunstore prepared to make a call to the Hornady distributor (Herrons) and make the order. Cost is around $80 per 50, delivery is with-in a week or so. If they can do that in Shepparton they can do that in Melbourne.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had the guy at McDonalds call me back Heron's are saying 8 weeks for 458lott or basic to come into stock.

Just had a look at Grafs site they state there is a $50USD fee to process an export permit for - "A Department of State export license is required to export rifle & pistol ammunition & components."

one of us
posted Hide Post
416SW,
Are you absolutely desperate for brass? If you've got a hunt coming up fast and are stuck I can do you an exchange of 50 of my cases and when supplies are in just replace them. My basic brass is for a 470 Capstick which is still being put together and a few months from completion. I'm feeding my Lott using Bell brass so I can let some Hornady stuff go if needed. Let me know.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Shooters Wholesale Warehouse in ACT. They can usualy get most things. They usualy do mail orders for all sorts of cases and bullets.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Con
I'm not in a hurry, haven't picked up the rifle yet or got the dies. Have ordered dies from Grafs airmail and when my 50cal bullets come in from Tenring and I make up dummy rounds for 50-110 then take the 1886 to the gunsmith I will pick up the Ruger No.1 in 458lott - have done the paper work.

CR500
I tried Shooters as well