THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Since Woodleighs are made Down Under..........

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Since Woodleighs are made Down Under..........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought I might try asking here. Hodgdon 4350 and 350gr PPSN in 375 H&H. Does 78gr sound excessive? I am trying to achieve 2500fps.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
77grains of H4350 is the recommended starting load for a 300 grain projectile and 81.5C is the listed max.

Only you can decide what a starting load would be for a 350 grainer.

Woodleigh does not provide load data.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email Woodleigh, they will provide load data as all the bullet testing data when new bullets come is out is provided to them (if they didn't do the testing themselves).

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
We use a maximum of 74grns for 2420fps.
Why would you want to push it any faster?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could crank it up a bit more safely and it was still as accurate, why not? 78gr is slightly compressed. I had read H4350 does best when slightly compressed with heavy for caliber bullets. At 74-75gr there is still quite a bit of room in the case. I wish I knew how to calculate approximate pressure for such a charge.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cant see any point with that bullet... sounds dicey to me!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bullets penetrate like the 320 gn's out of a 9.3,
they go a long way in and more often than not out.

The recoil with these heavy bullets is higher, no need
to push them faster, they kill just as well where people
have listed the fps.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Quickload, 78 grains of H4350 behind a 350 grain Woodleigh would give you about 2600 fps, BUT at an approximated pressure of 83800 psi, certainly not a load I, or most people on this website, would ever recommend.
Even 74 grain is estimated to be 70000 psi.

Be careful.

Regards,
David.

Posts: 78 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those loads got eaten by the bullet puller. Geof sent me data and explained that at the higher velocities bullet performance actually decreases. 2380fps recommended max.

83K! wow! Steel Rain with fingers! WTF Was I thinking?

Interestingly enough DoubleTap lists their load at 2450fps.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member