Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

who has hunted deer In Australia?
 Login/Join

posted
hi there I was wondering if anybody here has hunted deer in Australia if so what species? and what was it like?

Posts: 8 | Location: south, way down south | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hunted most species, its all about contacts/local knowlege

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
hunted most species, its all about contacts/local knowlege

+1...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have only hunted Fallow deer. they are very challenging as they have excellent eyesight. I agree with the others, in that to get onto good properties you need contact or go through a guide.

Posts: 10 | Location: australia | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trickler,

I have hunted Sambar and Fallow 2 times with Norm Nelson of Gippsland Hunting and had very good hunts. We also hunted Red Deer on private ranches. The Sambar hunting is very physically demanding if you stalk them. We hunted in the Wanangata Mountains and it's steep and rough, but very beautiful country.

Hawkeye47

posted Hide Post
are the hunting in wanangata very successful?, did you manage to get one of them sambars hawkeye?Ive heard stories they are plentyful and are a great throphy to hunt,the dollar is fairen alot better now and might make oz land worth a visit.

Posts: 8 | Location: south, way down south | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Trickler

If you are interested in doing a guided sambar hunt - just shoot me an email or PM (office at huntaust.com.au) . We have got a first-class guy on the job down there in the wild sambar country. It sure is a great hunt, lots of deer but like you have heard it is a difficult hunt too. Our guy has a VERY high success rate on trophy stags at the right time of year (July through mid October).

Anyhow - if you are interested let me know. Sorry for the mercenary post...
Cheers
Matt

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Hey Trickler
We have got a first-class guy Our guy has a VERY high success rate on trophy stags at the right time of year (July through mid October).

Anyhow - if you are interested let me know. Sorry for the mercenary post...
Cheers
Matt

Thats fantastic,how about posting pics of the sambar stags that have been successfully taken,its always good to see sambar pics IMO.

You must have lots of pics with a VERY high rate of success.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

posted Hide Post
god damn, looks like weve got ourselves a johnson competion going,by all means I would love to see any pics you guys have of clients with there throphy's

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trickler:
god damn, looks like weve got ourselves a johnson competion going,by all means I would love to see any pics you guys have of clients with there throphy's

Yes i am the same i would love to see them too,while you are waiting here are a couple of LIVE young stags that i snapped right on dawn this morning.

posted Hide Post
looks like you have some mighty fine game ranches down there griph, be a few years before you take someone there you think?.I have a contactsdown in oz that says he could find me one of those bulls, he said there are plently to find if you know where to look.the price Is looking pretty good compared to africa at the moment, by next summer I hope to get down to you guys he's promised to hunt insum real mountains he said ! , I dont think hes been to the rocky's.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Game ranch my fkn arse mate...that fkn fence is a standard farm fence four feet high and those two stags are free and wild and have come out of a state forest of 600 square miles mate.

The easy way out for guided clients here is to take the "ranch" option for sambar stags....thats a fkn joke too.

As you havent been on here long enough to know that i have a very dim view of "game ranches" and "ranch hunting" i will let your comment slip through.

And we can see through the smoke screen that you are putting up cobber.

One of Us
Picture of MADNESS
posted Hide Post
I am yet to hunt deer in Oz but hope to get over for a sambar hunt next year

Posts: 159 | Location: NEW ZEALAND | Registered: 03 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I have heard that before Arron

One of Us
Picture of MADNESS
posted Hide Post
Yes well even the best layed plans don't always work out Frowner

I've made it to Oz 3 times in the past 12mths but it was to queensland to visit my dieing nana Frowner

give me a date for a hunt with you next year John and i will be there mate Smiler

Posts: 159 | Location: NEW ZEALAND | Registered: 03 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
probably July/August mate

One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Haven't gone after the Sambar BUT have had a very good hunt on the Chital and Rusa at Nyall Stn up Charters Towers way a year or 3 back.
Those Chital are great hunting, didn't manage to get the one I wanted but did get a very big Rusa.
Just to qualify that a touch I bow hunt so forgive me for not closing on a Chital ,certainly wasn't lack of numbers.
Are there still Rusa up there? or have they been shot out?

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still there... better numbers each year apparently. I havent been there myself yet but one of my guys takes hunters up there for me.

Cheers for now
Matt

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote