Find
Notify
Tools

Satphones in Australia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
I would like to experiment with Satphones in Australia. Specifically using a satphone to upload files and data for a "livehunt" concept.

A "livehunt" concept is where you video/film your hunt, take photos and stories and make posts each day or so during the hunt. Others can follow the hunt from day to day and join in the fun.

Never have used a satphone myself. My questions/points:

1. Has anyone here used them? Which brands, networks etc?

2. Cost of calls? Ability to upload large video, still and data files?

3. I hope to hire one to try out - anyone know of companies which hire them out? I leave in just over a week, so may not be able to do it this time, but will give it a try. I will try some of the 4WD shops and see if they hire.

4. Obviously requires a decent laptop. Mine is getting old and doesn't cope at all well the very large Canon digital still files my camera already generates.

5. Coverage - anyone used one in Arnhemland, The Top End, Far North Queensland, Vic Alps etc?

6. Anything else useful?

Thanks.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
There was a write up on them in one of the 4x4 mags a month or two ago. I'll see if I can find it for you.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote