New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick reflexes saves Aussie PH.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I have mentioned before, Australia Water Buffalo and Banteng can turn just as nasty as there African cousins.

This was proved to be dangerously true this week when Australian PH Karl Goodhand dropped at his feet a Banteng bull coming at full charge.

The bow shot bull was mortally wounded late in the afternoon.

With light fading fast, as well as unfavourable tracking conditions the bull needed to to be followed up that day.

Banteng possess the most fast twitch mussel fibre of any Bovine. This was even more evident as we approached the bull and seeing it "twitching" between the guide to the hunter.

Their alertness under pressure has to be seen to be believed. It is more deer like than Bovine.

As Karl attempted to get his hunter into position to finish the job the Bull decided it had had enough.

Karl stood poised with his 470NE as the bull came on low and fast. A perfectly executed brain shot dropped the bull in it's tracks at 10 feet.

Between Karl and myself we have guided on several hundred Water Buffalo and Banteng hunts as well as hunted over 15 Cape/ North Western African Buffalo hunts.

So I believe we have the experience to make a fair comparison between these species.

If you come to Australia thinking Water Buffalo and Banteng are easy targets you may be in for a rude shock.

Never step into the ring and not be ready to fight, or it could be your last.

P.S Banteng hunting at this time of the year is at it's best

The bull in the text is a top 10 SCI Banteng

The hunter successfully Bow hunted another Bull the following day which will be in the top 3 SCI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt and a great hunt opportunity. What make of rifle?

P.S. Did anyone ever tell you that you are Aaron Neilson's twin? Please don't hold that against me! Big Grin

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
That bottom one is fantastic.
Is that the one you guided?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, That's the second bull I mentioned at the end of the post.

Cheers

petermayall

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle is my Merkel 470NE, which Karl is now in love with since it saved his bacon !

Projectile was a Woodleigh 500 grain SN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was a bit to the right. I couldn't and wouldn't say that if it wasn't to a couple of Aussies. I know you have a sense of humour.

Seriosly, nice shooting.

That second bull is a monster.

I need to hunt both water buffalo and banteng. Send me a PM about what is available.

Posts: 10073 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
That bottom one is fantastic.
Is the the one you guided?

I'll second that Adam.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Love the duct tape keeping the sole intact, you cant beat cable ties, silicon and duct tape!!

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote