Find
Notify
Tools

Legal hassles for incoming foreigners?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I posted a question earlier about the hunting realities of Australia but forgot a crucial step. What sort of red tape would a foreigner have to contend with when coming in for a hunt? I'm not familiar with the firearms regulations at all. This goes for ammo as well, since I'd like to bring handloads (maybe some factory stuff too).

Does the gov't make it really hard? Would a guide or PH help a client with that process? I just hope to get a basic idea of the papework that's required.

Thanks,
GFP

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
unsure of requirments
there is fedral customs you will run into at airport, plus each state has different gun and wildlife laws.
Aust wide is a ban on semi-auto anything, no pump action shotguns and as far as I know no hunting with handguns.
I imported some empty brass from USA and had to get an import permit.
this is a link to the biggest shooting orgainisation in the country
SSAA
here is a link to Aust customs
Aust Customs

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416SW:

I imported some empty brass from USA and had to get an import permit.

416SW

I understood it is not necessary to have an import permit for unloaded brass.

I omitted to list my 375 ammo on my re-import permit with my firearms and they took away all the loaded ammo but let me take the fired brass at Perth Airport. I then re-applied and got the loaded ammo back a few weeks later.

GONZO

I will see if I can find out the regulations for foreignors visiting Australia and bringing firearms and ammo. I am getting more and more enquiries also myself so want to pin it exactly down.

I just spoke to the SA Police officer who handles firearms import, customs issues etc and will post some info HOWEVER the requirements and permits may/wll be different for each State of Australia. [Frown]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Thanks so far. It would be great if someone could translate the legal speak that comes straight from the law books into English. I hope that it isn't impossibly complicated.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. Whatever it is, incoming hunters will appreciate it immensely, as will I.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Here is the licence requirements for entry through Queensland which is probably the best/easiest place to come with firearms. Once you are here every State has different laws so you need to check with each State you will visit.
Queensland/Northern Territory have reciprocality, the rest of the States are a cluster f...!!

Handgun hunting in the NT is OK, providing you fulfill their requirements - the only place in Aus that it is allowed.

web page

International Visitors

NT Stuff

[ 11-20-2003, 00:36: Message edited by: HiWall ]

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 11-21-2003, 04:58: Message edited by: 416SW ]

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX
Maybe it's different if you are accompanying the brass.

I had rung the federal police and was told I didn't need a permit for brass but Starline needed one from me so they could export from the USA. I asked for an extra copy just in case.

The next thing I got was a seizure notice from customs saying I had so many days (think it was 21) to present a import permit or the shipment would be forfeit. Customs told me on the phone it would take an hour to fill out the paper work, in reality it took less than 10 mins and had to pay GST.