Find
Notify
Tools

Came across some old ammo and brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Folks,
I recently came across some .270 Win ammo and brass from an estate. It is made up of Remington ammo and used brass and used Norma brass.

The brass is pretty old and and the fired ones are almost brown. I have them doing the rounds in my tumbler so I can have a closer look when they are nice and shiny. Could take a while.... Frowner

All the ammo is in factory boxes. They guy that owned them wrote the date on the inside flap. Most of the dates are from the late 70's and early 80's, back when Norma ammo was $6.95 a box.

I pulled one of the bullets and the insides of the brass looks new, so I am thinking that they are factory. Not going to risk shooting them though, I may pull all the bullets and dump the powder. I've heard the powder makes a good fertilizer. Will do some more research on that....

In all there are 140 odd fired Norma brass, 260 Remington empties and 120 loaded Remington rounds. "If" the brass turns out the be OK, they should last longer than the barrel.

The Remington ammo has 130gr Bronze Tips as the projectile. Haven't heard of them before. Anyone used them in the past who can give some info on them?
There are also so SP projectiles that have a differnt type of cannelure on them. Instead of a traditional one like on military ammo, it is like a lopsided V, whereby you rotate the V to the left until the right side is vertical (the vertical part is closed to the pointy end of the projectile). Almost like a progressive cannelure.

Thanks
Feral_Goz

Posts: 56 | Location: Australia NSW | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Hell bells, I would still shoot them. Maybe not at a once in a lifetime stag though.

I still have handloads in my ammo shelves from 1982!

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Twenty five years is not old !Even the military considers small arms ammo to have a 20 year life . If stored properly it's ok for much longer than that.Pull a couple of rounds and check the powder.If the powder has a yellowish or reddish color, or the smell is acrid or ammonia instead of the normal solvent smell then dump the powder.Spread it over your lawn ,it adds nitrogen to your soil.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Feral,

Just go ahead and shoot the stuff up. The bronze point Remington, will probably shoot like FMJs.(thats how they did on whitetails here) They are suppose to help with mushrooming the bullet, but from what I remember, they did not work very well. They might work on a donkey.

Hgo Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T3Shooter
posted Hide Post
Shoot them but don't even think of putting them in a tumbler.

Ladies and gentlemen, when I was a young boy I dreamed of being a baseball. But we have to go forward, not backwards, upwards, not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling, towards freedom!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

The fired brass is still in the tumbler. A few more sessions should sort them out.

Of the loaded rounds, I'll select some rounds at random and pull them to have a look at the innards. The boxes are so old and have a lot of wear and tear so I am not 100% sure they are all factory. They may be rounds made up from new brass. There is no reloading data on the boxes, so I am still a bit unsure. I'm not comfortable letting other people use my reloads in their guns, let alone using someone elses in mine (if they turn out to be reloads).

Thanks again
Feral_Goz

Posts: 56 | Location: Australia NSW | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote