Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted
If found guilty lets hope it puts a stop to this form of "collecting"

Posted on an NZ forum below.

Mt Hutt Helicopters taken to court?
« on: Yesterday at 07:29:27 PM »
A friend rang me today and told me Mt Hutt helicopters are being taken to court for heli-hunting tahr anyone know any more. I think there may have been a video on youtube.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah well they need a trim up anyway is getting a fair few of them around.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH69DZGJXHk

Here is the link .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
here is the next post from the other site.

Re: Mt Hutt Helicopters taken to court?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:58:15 PM »
Yes up on 18 charges...They go to court on or around the 20th september..Was ment to have been january but they put it off untill then.This hunting season there has been next to no hunting by them this year Last year they were around every second day....

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That video is disgusting! I can't believe the twat, Mike Wilks of South Pacific Safaris was stupid enough to post the video in the first place and the gaul to call it hunting.

What a joke when the shooter called Jim called them a professional outfit.

Such practices just give the antis and make it harder for all ethical hunters and guides.

I hope they throw the book at him.

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What laws did they break exactly? They were not shooting from the chopper.
Is it against the law to use one to gain access to the hunting area?
I agree that it did not appear to be a "sporting" kill by any means but not any different from taking a mountain lion in a cave which is something that is done with regularity.
So I am missing the point.
Unless like in the USA you are not allowed to hunt an area the same day you flew over it.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see how the Government can Shoot them from the chopper with shotguns to eradicate areas and then take action against someone for doing the same thing.

We used the Mt. Hutt chaps to access the hunting areas and they seem like fine chaps to me. If I ever get back to N.Z. for Chamois I had planned on useing them to get into the hunting area.
Hawkeye47

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

I don't think the issue is one of shooting from the chopper. At a guess it would probably be for breaking the rules regarding the area they have a concession for or for breaking the conditions of the concession.

Hunting areas they have no right too is poaching and will lead to prosecutions.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
I walked up (read; “scratched and clawed my way upâ€) after mine, primarily because the weather was too bad to fly. I saw plenty of animals and no other hunters. I did however fly to NZ and drove to the foot of the mountains.

As I understand it the greenies want to eradicate all non native species and the Govt. is currently holding out at gunning them down via choppers in selected areas.

High populations in the hunted (non eradication zones) leads to more tahr migrating into the "tahr free" zones and thus being gunned down at the Govt and tahrs expense. So the moral high ground vs the extremely high ground the tahr habitate seems to be worlds apart.

I would think that until hunting them becomes so popular that there are waiting lines and limits, that only allowing the few folks that can climb to hunt and denying helicopter access will only result in more eradication, less monetary value and the subsequent loss of the tolerance that staves off the their total eradication.

Meanwhile the video indicated that the animal holed up because he was wounded and anything less that shooting him in the hole would be immoral or fool hardy.

Read; "On Top of the Bottom of the World"

Best Regards

Mike O

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just got back a few weeks ago from a Tahr and Chamois hunt and was told a little of the rules governing the use of choppers. Depending on the area they were hunting and the licencing the operator held they would appear to be in big trouble. Operators are only allowed to set down in certian areas or LZ's and hunters are not allowed on board when using choppers to recover animals etc.
I was not as tough as Madabula I hitched a lift up to a couple of different designated landing sites and hunted from those areas until i got what I came for.
Another couple of operators are currently in the big house for lifting greenstone out with their choppers so finding an operator licenced to land in Tahr country is getting to be a bit more difficult.
They will just use 1080 to wipe out numbers if the meat blokes stop operations and the cullers cant get enough to stop the Tahr moving outside the designated areas.
Cheers Peter

Posts: 5 | Location: Southern NSW | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote