Find
Notify
Tools

Books on John Taylor/ Ben Lilly
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted
Posted on the other thread but no go so you guys may help.

I have all of Pondoro's books and have read them to pieces.

Does anyone know of sources of info about John Dawkins?

Or his book?

every time I have found a copy to buy like on ebay, the prices have been mind boggling.

Ben Lilly must have been a real bushie. I have ordered two books from Amazon on him. One by "himself", the other by "Doubie"

Other ideas about either?

I know Capstick did a trash job on him, but he must have been a great hunter.

I think.

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I saw John Dawkin's book advertised at US$300, then found one for US$80. Bought it thumb. Good book.

Never heard about Ben Lilly. Tell more.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A "lion" hunter whatever in the US about 80 odd years ago.

Go bush for years on end with his dogs and a rifle and live off the land.

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get Dawkins book?

I have looked every where.

Taylor might have been gay but I think Dawkins could give another view on it.

He must have been some bloke. But I carn't find much on the Net.

Where in SA did he live, for eg.?

What did he think of Aly? He obviously met him on more than one occion. I think Dawkins and Aly were off hunting for three years to-gether.

But besaide the point, where can I get "Maneaters and Mauraders" with a reasonable cost?

I actually also think Taylors Knock Down Tables make sense.

Looking at what he says about various calibres make sense. Like his comments on what we call the 6.5 Swede.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Who is John Dawkins?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7990 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Capstick's case for Taylor liking the boys a bit too much was far from being "beyond a shadow of a doubt." Regardless, Taylor's book are fun to read, and he makes many interesting comments on the life of the natives he lived and worked among. Capstick's book offers many insights into Taylor's life and is certainly worth reading, whether or not you agree with (or like) his conclusions.

Posts: 978 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Bakes & Greybeard

John Dawkins was an Australian ivory hunter who hunted in East Africa.

He lived in the South East of South Australia where he had a property. He died only a year or so ago due to some burns he received from an accident involving an incubator for rearing pheasants.

John Taylor came to stay at his farm a couple of times. Taylor also read Dawkin's book "Rogues & Marauders" prior to its release.

Dawkins and Taylor hunted together and Dawkins sometimes filled out the ivory licence of Taylor as Taylor was 'getting on'. Sharing the profit.

I would have to re-read the book to see what he said about Aly.

As for Taylor's reported homosexuality, Dawkin's wrote he wasn't. But other books (not just Capstick) claimed he was. Another Australian once told me of another young Aussie hunter (now elderly or deceased) who said Taylor used to "hit" on him. BTW Dawkins lived in Africa with his wife. In a caravan no less!

The Dawkins estate was recently auctioned off with trophies, skins etc going under the hammer, including ivory tusks. Unfortunately I was in the NT at the time. Also sold off separately was a .450 H&H double, but with one barrel converted to a 20g shotgun (cape gun). A WJ Jeffrey .450/.400 double. A 333 WJ Jeffrey double. The Rigby .450 double stayed with the family.

I checked the source of my book and they don't list any now. I should have bought more than one. Wink

I agree he seemed to be quite a man, and was reportedly a gracious and friendly gentleman as well. I was silly to never try to meet him in person, and only after his death was reported searched for his out-of-print book.

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was there another biography on Pondoro besides Capsticks?

I haven't seen anything by (or on) John dawkins besides his one book "Rogues and Mauraders". Are there others?

Thanks
ross

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
"Was there another biography on Pondoro besides Capsticks?"

Maybe ???

"I haven't seen anything by (or on) John dawkins besides his one book "Rogues and Mauraders". Are there others?"

Not that I know of.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Managed to buy a first edition copy of "Rogues & Marauders" in good condition, except no dust jacket for a very good price.

Found on "abebooks" but the bookshop was located in Adelaide. thumb

Several copies of Dawkins book are still on abebooks.com but not so good a price.

Also got the second volume of Elspeth Huxley's "White Man's Country", a history of Lord Delamere and Kenya. Managed to find the first edition a while ago. I remember seeing the book in Nairobi in 1989, then going off bush without buying (did not want to carry it around), on returning it was gone. Visited most book shops in Nairobi asking the black staff for the book "White Man's Country". Smiler

Also got an out of print copy of "From Cape to Cairo".

John H.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter Moncrief (spelling) here in vic trades in hunting books unsure of contact details

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote