New
Find
Notify
Tools

A useful gimmick
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tried a set of Peltor Sound Trap electronic earmuffs a couple of months back . I was very impressed . Seemed to be able to hear almost normally with some frequencies actually amplified . The sound of your own footsteps is amazing . Sounds like a rhino crashing around . Might be a good training aid ?
The other thing I really liked was the low profile design . Unlike every other pair I have tried these didn't actually foul the cheekpiece on your rifle stock .
Seeing as I already have tinitus in my left ear and given that I'm a sucker for gimmicks I bought a pair .
Wore them most of the time whilst stalking on my recent NT safari . A bit warm and sweaty in those conditions but a couple of hundred bucks well spent I reckon . Great for spotlighting . Beats the old foam earplugs anyway . Cool

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
... electronic earmuffs

Wore them most of the time whilst stalking on my recent NT safari ....

Wearing earmuffs when stalking ???

Don't they get in the way?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX ,
That's what I really like about the things . They have such a low profile that they don't get in the way .
I'm getting pretty wary about doing any more damage to my hearing and will put up with a lttle inconvenience if it means I can still hear the phone ring when I'm 70 (and it is a little inconvenience).
Have a look at the picture and you'll see what I mean by low profile .
[URL=[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=334383&c=550&z=1"]

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushchook,
Know what you mean about the telephone. The defenders look good to me. I might just get a pair.

Copula ergo sum

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
NitroX ,
That's what I really like about the things . They have such a low profile that they don't get in the way .
I'm getting pretty wary about doing any more damage to my hearing and will put up with a lttle inconvenience if it means I can still hear the phone ring when I'm 70 (and it is a little inconvenience).
Have a look at the picture and you'll see what I mean by low profile .
[URL=[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=334383&c=550&z=1"]

A donkey?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's not a donkey! That's an Australian Zebra!!!

-Bob F. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The Australian Zebra is genetically the same as the African. When continental drift separated the pre-historic super-continent of Gondwana, Australia from India, Africa and Antartica, the Australian Zebra or more correctly the Australian Quagga genetically lost its stripes over the millions of years. Opposite to the African Quagga which was shot out leaving only the full striped genes to breed. The large numbers of Auszebra in the Kymberleys of Northern Western Australia are proof as this is the bit that fitted best into the coastline of Mozambique, Tanzania and Kenya.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
The Australian Zebra is genetically the same as the African. When continental drift separated the pre-historic super-continent of Gondwana, Australia from India, Africa and Antartica, the Australian Zebra or more correctly the Australian Quagga genetically lost its stripes over the millions of years. Opposite to the African Quagga which was shot out leaving only the full striped genes to breed. The large numbers of Auszebra in the Kymberleys of Northern Western Australia are proof as this is the bit that fitted best into the coastline of Mozambique, Tanzania and Kenya.

Yes that's right.
Futher it's probably not much known in the northern latitudes that the Roo is related ratus ratus.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys aren't trying to make Asses of us are you? bewildered

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

As I use to hear growing up, at least in the South. I think your pulling my leg.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hearing protection is a good idea. No doubt about that. I always wear muffs or plugs while target or prairie dog shooting but I can’t bring my self to use them while hunting coyotes or deer. The only problem I have with the Peltors is that they are non-directional. In other words I can hear the coyotes howl but I have no idea which way the sound is coming from unless I remove them. My ears ring all the time so I may just have to live with the inconvenience.

Good hunting.

flatlander

one of us
posted Hide Post
Flatlander ,
Didn't think they were too bad in terms of directionality . Perhaps not perfect .
Microphones face forward on mine .
Are all their models the same ?

Wilbur Smith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod ,
No NitroX is fair dinkum ! jump
Australian zebras are a pest and make good bait when hunting feral pigs .

Wilbur Smith

posted Hide Post
The pelters I had were larger than the ones pictured so yours may be improved? I also had a pair of Walker game ears that basically look like an older styled hearing aid that preformed the same basic functions as the pelters. I had the same problem with them. Maybe it is just me but I could in no way tell the direction of the sound with either unit.

Good hunting.

flatlander

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Directional in this case is refering to being able to tell which direction the sound came from. If its just a speaker in the muffs then it sounds like it comes from the muffs.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AH and Flatlander ,
Tried the Peltors again tonight whilst out shooting a few bunnies . I have absolutely no trouble pinpointing direction of bird calls .I don't believe they seriously impair my ability to stalk . Perhaps they have improved since you last tried a pair ?
My contention is not that they are perfect , simply that they are much better than the alternatives (deafness or earplugs) .

Wilbur Smith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
You guys aren't trying to make Asses of us are you? bewildered

Very good! roflmao