Find
Notify
Tools

Off to hunt some mad cows
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
I'm off to the NT again this week for some mad cows. Hopefully!

As was discussed on another thread I'm taking up the opportunity to 'practice' on some cow water buffalo culls with my .450 NE and 9.3x74R doubles. Hopefully somewhere between five and twenty.

As I probably ate 'mad cow' infected beef when living in the UK I'm already half-way there.

See you soon.

I urgently need to do some reloading!

Smiler

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whack a bunch !!! thumb

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The bovine results for 2005. Porcine to follow later.

The two little ones - cut off horns and skull were taken during the "mad cow" cull. Plus the scrub bull horns to the RIGHT.

The full set of horns. Orion's are in the front. Mine are at the back.
The two sets of scrub bull horns and a couple of scrub bulls. One taken
with Graham Williams in August the other taken in October during the cull.
Defintely a trophy though. Plus a couple of small non-trophy horns
taken from the cull as decorations for my trophy room. Still nice. Cool
We also took a number of boars' tusks elsewhere. These will be
displayed when cleaned up a bit and arranged for photos.

Orion's first buffalo

Orion's second buffalo

My first buffalo

My second buffalo

The scrub bull taken with Graham Williams

The scrub bull I took during the culling. A huge beast and set
of horns

I kept a couple of horns from the culls. One is a cow (more curved
in this case. The other heavy one is from a smaller bull. I was asked
to shoot several "cows" as culls. In a couple of cases they turned
out to be small bulls.

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
So, how many did you get to shoot on the cull hunt bewildered

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. I'm still waiting patiently for the full report on the cull hunt. Would it be fair to say that for a hunt for bulls only (Waterbuff or Cape Buff) you would not be happy with the 9.3 or would greatly prefer your .450 No. 2? Reading between the lines it seems that although the 9.3 was up to the task on the cull hunt you felt it would lack something on larger bodied game. Maybe I am just reading too much into it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
So, how many did you get to shoot on the cull hunt bewildered

Hog Killer

quote:
Originally posted by NitroX (on another thread):

Did get a very nice scrub bull, plus 14 buffalo, 3 pigs, a donkey, 2 brumbies.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Charles Helm summed up nicely the October culling trip - 2 days.

I only brought back two (small) sets of buffalo horns plus the scrub bull, with a cape.

In August I shot 2 bull trophy water buffalo and a trophy scrub bull. "Orion" shot the other two bull buffalos. And between the two of us about 45 pigs in the Top End, over half boars.

Charles

quote:
Would it be fair to say that for a hunt for bulls only (Waterbuff or Cape Buff) you would not be happy with the 9.3 or would greatly prefer your .450 No. 2? Reading between the lines it seems that although the 9.3 was up to the task on the cull hunt you felt it would lack something on larger bodied game. Maybe I am just reading too much into it.

I would be ready enough to shoot a large bull with the 9.3mm. I am very sure with a good shot it would kill just fine. I prefer to use the .450 however as a shot through bone (shoulder etc) can be made dropping and anchoring the beast. Also as practice for Cape Buffalo again and Elephant too hopefully one day.

Orion and I shot the 9.3mm today, just on 2 litre plastic Coke bottles. Snap shooting at say 40 yards and say 80 yards, shooting as rapid and quickly as possible. It is very nice to use and works very well and fast.

It will definitely become a BIG favourite for me.

John H.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional views on the 9.3. I was planning to take mine for a walk this weekend but spent too much time in the office and will have to postpone. I was curious because I would like to try it out on something larger in the future but have also picked up a .458 Win Mag bolt rifle as a heavier alternative. You do not see many reports on the 9.3 for bovines these days so I appreciate yours.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

Next time you got out to do a bottle shoot, take some 1/2L water bottles. Then try your speed drill on them at 15-20 meters. At the last "Bubba" shoot we went to the 1/2L's, and they will make you sharpen up, from a real close aim to a dead on one.

Shooting plastic bottles and jugs is a great way to practice and it is fun too. It sure beats punching paper targets.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
We only had 'so many' plastic bottles so shot a few then ran out.

I tried a speed opening and reloading at the shoulder and it can be done very fast.

John H.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some more photos of the cow cull hunt.

Silly me, I did not take photographs of the pigs, donkey or horses.

Have to take some next time. Wink

John H.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir! Very nice.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
"Mad Cow" Cull - full story and photos

I've put a full story and more photos on NitroExpress.com at the address above.

John H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Nitro,

Those sure are some pretty cows. If you want you can come over here and whack some ugly mad cows where I work.

They are found mainly behind the counters in the menswear department. Yours surely are a lot more good looking.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote