Find
Notify
Tools

Chamois and Tahr Pic
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted
Back from Westland after a week with two mates sleeping in the rough and mountain hunting.
Notice the distinct difference between chamois buck and chamois does horn configuration.
Which is which ?

Guess the bull tahrs measurement in inches Big Grin

I will put up a report later in the week.

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have a go!!!
Chamois doe is on the left and is longer (maybe) but not as heavy as the buck, the tahr is good, my guess is 13 1/2"

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies, Weidmanns Heil and Congratulations!

I agree to Mark, chamois does horns are commonly less narrow than bucks.

This is an old doe I shot in the Lechtal Alps.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another picture I found from the same hunt, within the red circle you can more guess than really see the animal at 102 meters just before the shot. It was not a real challenge...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. Do you hunt out of tents or camps? What kind of numbers do you see. Thanks for sharing. Any more pictures?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
We camp out, I am getting to grips with a video editing program. And getting a story out, right now I am boiling heads and cutting meat jumping
The terrain can be challenging

I dropped this young bull for camp meat from 315 meters. This is my favourite bullet placement point on tahr

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures. I very much hope that one day I can make that 20.000 km journey to hunt your mountains.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Notice the distinct difference between chamois buck and chamois does horn configuration.
Which is which ?

Guess the bull tahrs measurement in inches

Soooo weathered, what is what and how long is the tahr?

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
Doe (8.5) left buck (9.5) right and bull tahr 14.5 inches
I took the buck my mates took the doe and the bull
From this country

Bull tahr in bluffs

Typical Bull Habitat

This is Westland some of the most demanding hunting I know

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Massive one Weathered.Your footage reminds me why I can sit and watch those beasties for hours.

Posts: 4239 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Yep that's tahr country on the Coast.
Great bull.
You just have to shake your head in awe of the places those beautiful animals are living in. At the same time it that "oh my god " how am I going to get to there, if I do can i get the shot,once i have ,can i recover the bull,or maybe I'll just go back to camp and have a little think about it and look some place else.
Still some big boys about aye!!

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work weathered

Very nice bull tahr. How did the horn bases pull up 8.5 to 9 ". What age was he 7-8 yrs

Nanny chamois looks longer than the buck as the horns have the height but they do not have the hook thats where the buck gets his length.

Posts: 35 | Location: South Island New Zealand | Registered: 19 July 2008Reply With Quote