Find
Notify
Tools

Walnut Origins
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Many shooters own rifles with a walnut stock that may be sourced from many countries. Shown below are a couple of new trees. Note the rather bulbous root system with many lateral offshoots. When harvesting this precious timber everything is used including the roots. Presentation and exhibition grade blanks are often milled from the main roots

All new plants are throughly cleaned prior to planting to prevent any introduced pests and diseases coming into the farm.

Walnut grove, land preparation for another 50 trees next year will start almost immediately.

The trees are planted 15m apart which allows co-planting with other trees to provide wind breaks during storms. As our focus is on timber trees, wide planting allows them to reach their full potential whereas nut plantations would be planted much closed. Walnuts actually secrete a low level toxin through their roots to prevent any other plants from competing with germination of their own seeds. The marker tape is used to record the source nursery and year of planting.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
BAW - long time no hear from you !

How long before you will be harvesting these trees? The interspersed nut trees should give a harvest inside five years , but those walnuts for timber ....methinks you will be too old to hold up your buffalo rifle by the time you can mill a useable blank from any of those walnuts.

Great idea though - if our climate was a little less windy I would plant nut trees too , got sick of seeing all the half formed walnuts blown off the tree at the previous address.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Yeah Muzza, don't suppose I'll see a blank less I live long enough to get a tele-g from the king!
These are 3 year old trees so we should start to see fruit in another 2-3. Once fruiting starts we can make a little from the nuts BUT it is also the time to add a special touch.

Guy wires with turnbuckles are fitted around the branches to twist each tree so that when the wood is harvested there won't be any plain grades. Slab sawn blanks will show extreme fiddleback when cut along this contorted wood.
Another reason to wide plant is to allow room for the anchors and guy ropes.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote